E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #61
ErdeM3

My Ride: e46 M3 Vert
guys,

Took almost 5 hours to put the new line in..there is a lot to figure out so be patient...But After you did the job you will see it is not that tough.. I could do the same thing in two hours now...
-This is not one man job...You need a good friend here to help you..
-I didnt take out the top or any fabric..Most of the time you need to adjust the position of frame to work on different areas, to see better
-I did not cut the zip ties at the C Pillar ..once you cut the old #line 23, you can take the line out easily...

Thank you all specially,
Taylor without your support and encouragement.. I wouldn't be doing this.
Klaus from Top Hydraulics if he didnt manufacture the extended line #23 I wouldnt be able to change this line cause you can not reroute the line...

Cheers
E
ErdeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #62
TopHydraulicsInc.com
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: German verts
ErdeM3,

congratulations - you turned your coupe back into a convertible without potentially paying far over a kilobuck ($1k) to a shop or dealer!

We are now hosting taylor192's DIY for line removal on our website, as well:
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/e46line23guide.pdf. Basically the same as what taylor192 has posted on the forum, but you can download it as a pdf file.

The extended line # 23 (longer than the one sold by BMW in p/n 54347025598, but using the same German-made hose material and fittings) is now available directly through our website: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/b...number-23.html

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
5434-8234530 (hydro-unit)
54347025592 (control unit)
54347025598 (improved hoses manufactured at Top Hydraulics)
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
www.tophydraulicsinc.com

TopHydraulicsInc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #63
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErdeM3 View Post
guys,

Took almost 5 hours to put the new line in..there is a lot to figure out so be patient...But After you did the job you will see it is not that tough.. I could do the same thing in two hours now...
-This is not one man job...You need a good friend here to help you..
-I didnt take out the top or any fabric..Most of the time you need to adjust the position of frame to work on different areas, to see better
-I did not cut the zip ties at the C Pillar ..once you cut the old #line 23, you can take the line out easily...

Thank you all specially,
Taylor without your support and encouragement.. I wouldn't be doing this.
Klaus from Top Hydraulics if he didnt manufacture the extended line #23 I wouldnt be able to change this line cause you can not reroute the line...

Cheers
E
Good job! Thanks for the notes, anything else that would help?

- How hard was it to reinsert the line and black plastic retainer with the long bent pliers? I found it difficult.
- I couldn't pull the line through without cutting the "top" zip tie. I'll adjust the instructions to at least try pulling the line through before cutting the zip ties.
- I'll emphasize the friend in the tools. I listed it, yet I know some will attempt by themselves and get in over their head.
- I found I only needed the top in the 2 positions I showed in pictures. What other positions helped which steps?

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 05-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #64
ErdeM3

My Ride: e46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Good job! Thanks for the notes, anything else that would help?
I believe you covered pretty much everything, I thing that I can add, it might look complex but its really not..

Quote:
- How hard was it to reinsert the line and black plastic retainer with the long bent pliers? I found it difficult.
Inserting the new line into valve block and locking it was the toughest thing in this job. I bought that long bent pliers but didnt make use of it that much,
That black plastic retainer maybe you should mention it in the DIY, and yes omg it took almost an hour to put it back, I end up using a plastic tape and a screwdriver instead of long bent pliers.

Quote:
- I found I only needed the top in the 2 positions I showed in pictures. What other positions helped which steps?
These are the positions that you basically work on, but I had no idea where are the lines exactly until now. So I had to inspect it very careful to understand it.
ErdeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote