E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Is there any issue with driving without bottom cover plastic?

After valve cover replacement I sprayed down engine last night to remove all the grime from the leaking valve cover. I was planning on driving for a while with the bottom cover off to see if there are any drips, which I do not expect. I did bottom out all of the bolts and the gasket was aligned as expected.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
No problem driving without it.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Mine disappeared a LONG time ago. I haven't seen any issues. I actually kinda like it since I don't have to take it off every time I want to work on the car. It does kind of make it easier to detect drips
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Julioalberto236

My Ride: BMW E46 328i 1999
I used to use it like that but a friend td me that rocks or any other thing could go up my engine in the highway and i stopped using it like that
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
//MPOSTER

My Ride: 01 AP White 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to //MPOSTER
Is there any issue with driving without bottom cover plastic?

As long as you don't run over a deer your good.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
B-Dawg

My Ride: 2010 Cayenne
I don't have mine either. But will probably get one simply because sand and road crap getting kicked into the engine bay can't be a good thing.

2010 Cayenne
2001 330i 5mt sedan (sold)
2008 135i 6mt coupe (sold)
2004 330i zhp sedan (sold)
2004 325i 5mt sedan (sold)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
It will be going on once cleaned and

once it is determined there are no drips, and I was hoping to dislodge the socket that fell into the engine compartment.

I also realized mine was barely on with many screws loose.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
I forgot to put mine back on after re-doing my cooling system haha
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Cars never had undertrays until the last 15 or 20 years. It's mainly just for aerodynamics and it does help to keep it a little cleaner.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
With the hpf turbo kit we can't run that cover, however I wish i could, it kept the engine cleaner with less upkeep. I also have had since removal a rock or something come up while on highway, hit fan....punch radiator......and put a dent from under the hood out. Sucked. The reason there was a dent is because I had removed the heat shield because methanol had torn it apart.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
Mine doesnt have it anymore. I found that out when I was checking my car for leaks. To my surpise my car wasnt wearing any panties. And it dawned on me that my car had been to my indy shop for an FSB job a week ago. The shop, ie the mech stole it! I guess he needed one for his car or it'd end up on craigslist.
I called the shop to ask if the mech may have forgotten to put it back on. After putting me on hold for a minute or two the service rep behind the counter said NOPE, the mech said he put it back on. And there was No underbelly shield anywhere in the shop. Yeah right!
PAY ATTN to your mech when he's finishing up any undercar work. some mechs do steal good parts and little things from owners' cars.

Last edited by Hoebama; 05-06-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Without it a rock can get stuck in one of the pulleys and shred your belts.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Those claiming damage can occur are really stretching it. That is extremely unlikely. The cover is really for wind noise/aerodynamics and it also keeps your driveway clean. Cars ran without them for decades just as low to the ground as we are. They were always fine.

Common Sense is officially dead.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Just because something runs "fine" doesn't mean it's actually running fine. The design to the car is deliberate and function must be considered. It's been widely reported by respected members of other forums that the undertray aids in cooling efficiency as air enters the front bumper and passes through the radiator. Without that cover, you may be pushing the upper limits of your cooling system without even knowing it.

Just purchase one. I would never ever drive our cars without one. It just screams "I can't afford to drive a car" when you're missing large components like that. Plus less dirt and debris for the belts to deal with. Don't forget excess water, noise, drag, etc. Just absolutely no reason to run without it

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Just because something runs "fine" doesn't mean it's actually running fine. The design to the car is deliberate and function must be considered. It's been widely reported by respected members of other forums that the undertray aids in cooling efficiency as air enters the front bumper and passes through the radiator. Without that cover, you may be pushing the upper limits of your cooling system without even knowing it.

Just purchase one. I would never ever drive our cars without one. It just screams "I can't afford to drive a car" when you're missing large components like that. Plus less dirt and debris for the belts to deal with. Don't forget excess water, noise, drag, etc. Just absolutely no reason to run without it
Yeah...no.

I do agree with just getting one, because it makes the car complete, but the above statement is kind of ridiculous.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Yeah...no.

I do agree with just getting one, because it makes the car complete, but the above statement is kind of ridiculous.
It's consensus among veterans of other forums from close to or more than half a decade ago. If air can't move over the radiator as intended, then you have no cooling.

IIRC, the theory was (as confirmed by some engineers in the discussion) that the absence of that tray disrupts the low pressure zone at highway speed which prevents air movement as intended. I forgot the link but there was quite a few discussions on it back in the day.

Edit: Here's one take from an OG. I believe he's on this forum as well.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...9&postcount=35

If you google it, it's common knowledge undertrays aid in cooling efficiency. Remember, WDE, if I say something, there's probably a solid reason behind it. Discussions have been going on long before you came into the E46 world last year.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-06-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
Mango is right.

Without the cover, the air cannot be forced into the radiator core efficiently and thereby decreases heat transfer efficiency. With the air now being tunneled underneath the car you're essentially cooling the control arm bushings which could in turn give the entire frame a cooler temperature and ACTUALLY AID in the cooling system!!! What a twist!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adionik View Post
Mango is right.

Without the cover, the air cannot be forced into the radiator core efficiently and thereby decreases heat transfer efficiency. With the air now being tunneled underneath the car you're essentially cooling the control arm bushings which could in turn give the entire frame a cooler temperature and ACTUALLY AID in the cooling system!!! What a twist!

Of course I'm right. I'm Mango.

WDE is waiting for his moment to take me down lately by the tone of his posts

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
I tried to start my car without my undertray today. It exploded in a ball of fire. I put the tray back in, hoping that will fix the issue.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post

Of course I'm right. I'm Mango.

WDE is waiting for his moment to take me down lately by the tone of his posts
No no. I just very much disagree with this and a few of the things you've been staunch about lately. You know I agree with most of your principles, but you have a bit of a "catastrophic tone" about some of your recommendations.

I don't think it disrupts air flow significantly enough to hurt cooling efficiency in any meaningful way. Am I going to run without it? No, not if I have one on hand. Would I run without it in the middle of Alabama summer if I lost mine for some reason until I could get a new one? Yes, without hesitation or worry.

I really don't care what some of the vets think about this one. Some things I consider the veteran opinion (and take it seriously) such as on product brands and what you should buy OEM on. That sort of thing. This one comes down to complex aerodynamic interactions that no one here can really even speculate about. The fact is, the radiator has more than enough capacity to keep the engine cool, even if the efficiency is hurt slightly. At most, the fan may need to stay on to a higher speed than usual.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Closed Thread