E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Koni Yellow (SA) vs OEM ZHP Shocks

I tried a search, but there's not a lot out there. I'm looking for some opinions of the ride quality and handling of the Koni SA's compared to OE ZHP shocks. It's suspension time on my car, and i'm reluctant to go ZHP and call it a day, simply due to the longevity of the OE dampers.

Anyone have experience with these that isn't, "I took my 100K mile OE shocks out and my brand new Koni SA's felt better"...?

Thanks in advance.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Chrsb5

My Ride: 2004 330i

I've been running Koni FSD dampers for the past year plus, and coupled with the Eibach springs, it's a world of difference. This wasn't replacing 100k suspension either, I only had 58k on the car. I find the FSDs to be a great blend of comfort and sportiness. They don't beat you up, but are certainly much more firmly dampened than the oe sport/zhp dampers.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrsb5 View Post
I've been running Koni FSD dampers for the past year plus, and coupled with the Eibach springs, it's a world of difference. This wasn't replacing 100k suspension either, I only had 58k on the car. I find the FSDs to be a great blend of comfort and sportiness. They don't beat you up, but are certainly much more firmly dampened than the oe sport/zhp dampers.

Thanks for the reply, but i'm interested in the SA's, not the FSD.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
ClaytonL

My Ride: 2003 325i
I have a set of Koni Yellows, Bilstein Touring, and OEM sport struts in my room right now. Haven't installed any of them yet so I can't comment on that end.

I will say this, the Konis rebound the slowest out of all the struts/shocks. OEM next. The Bilsteins are the fastest.
Bisteins are harder to compress than all the others. Followed by Konis, and then the OEMs.
I do not know exactly what all this would mean to the ride but that is what data I have.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Finding someone that changed from fully functional ZHP shocks to a new set of any other brand would be difficult at this point, especially since many people have reported that OEM shocks with as little as 30-40k miles are not working correctly.
So, getting a realistic comparison may be difficult. But, good luck!
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Finding someone that changed from fully functional ZHP shocks to a new set of any other brand would be difficult at this point, especially since many people have reported that OEM shocks with as little as 30-40k miles are not working correctly.
So, getting a realistic comparison may be difficult. But, good luck!
Agreed, but in the E36 world, I know people who have replaced worn shocks with OE and people that went Koni. I've driven both, as have many of my friends. I was hoping that someone out there somewhere in E46 land has experienced the same.

Your comments about the OE longevity are things I've heard that are steering me away from them. I drive my car 20K a year. 30K longevity is less than optimal.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
dancmos

My Ride: BMW 323i

I have Koni Yellows. The ride is very nice. My car was bottoming out and now it doesn't. It corners nicely with minimal body roll. I bought them at Tire Rack.

dancmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Nick, I would think you could transfer the E36 experience/data to the E46 world. The cars are extremely similar in weight and balance, if not the "same." The "sportier" products out there for E36/E46 are probably very similar. Like for example on the e46, people use the E36 M3 rear shocks as they're slightly beefier but perform similarly.

Just an opinion. I could be totally wrong. Personally I'd go Koni/Bilstein/Aftermarket since the OE units will just mean you'll be replacing your stuff sooner than you'd like to especially since your 330 is a daily driver. Any objection to Bilstein sports? Or Suspension Techniques? I've been wanting the ST for years (before they became super popular) but not sure if they'd have the longevity of the Bilsteins.

Either way, I guess I'd replace my Bilsteins at 100k of service anyway

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 04-29-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Nick, I would think you could transfer the E36 experience/data to the E46 world. The cars are extremely similar in weight and balance, if not the "same." The "sportier" products out there for E36/E46 are probably very similar. Like for example on the e46, people use the E36 M3 rear shocks as they're slightly beefier but perform similarly.

Just an opinion. I could be totally wrong. Personally I'd go Koni/Bilstein/Aftermarket since the OE units will just mean you'll be replacing your stuff sooner than you'd like to especially since your 330 is a daily driver. Any objection to Bilstein sports? Or Suspension Techniques? I've been wanting the ST for years (before they became super popular) but not sure if they'd have the longevity of the Bilsteins.

Either way, I guess I'd replace my Bilsteins at 100k of service anyway
Hey Mango. I'm not sure how different the E46 dampers are, as the E36 Konis yellows are inserts only and therefore clearly different. Even with Billies, for E36s they're literally rock hard. I gather that's not the case with E46 applications, but due to the E36 Billies, they've left a bad taste in my mouth and I can't see myself spending the money on them over Konis without ever driving a car with them.

Anyways. I think I'll go with the Koni yellows. It appears you can order them direct from Koni. I'll look into that, as Tire Rack is back ordered until June.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 04-29-2013 at 11:24 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
fiveightandten

Well, I ordered the Konis from Tire Rack. They're back ordered 2 or 3 weeks. They're going to call me later this week with a more accurate ETA. We also ordered a set of Koni SA's for my girlfriend's WRX. Those are inserts all around. Looks like my die grinder will be getting a workout on Saturday (WRX Konis are in stock and ship tomorrow).

Thanks for the input, E46F'ers.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
kingdavid1010

My Ride: 2003 325i

Just bought my set at bavauto $565 with free shipping. Not sure but I dont think they are back order (if you don't want to wait).

Quote:
Some believe there's no such thing as luck... I believe if there is such a thing then it's always better to be lucky than good!
kingdavid1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Well, I ordered the Konis from Tire Rack. They're back ordered 2 or 3 weeks. They're going to call me later this week with a more accurate ETA. We also ordered a set of Koni SA's for my girlfriend's WRX. Those are inserts all around. Looks like my die grinder will be getting a workout on Saturday (WRX Konis are in stock and ship tomorrow).

Thanks for the input, E46F'ers.
E46 F'ers. That about sums it up.

Let us know how you like them. The Koni yellows for the E46 are inserts? I wonder how long they last? I guess no matter what after 60k or so they should be replaced or rebuilt anyway so I guess it doesn't matter much.

I dunno I like the ride of my E46 w/ Bilstein Sports. It's a little on the stiff side but very confident esp at higher speeds. The way I see it, it's a car w/ a sporting nature to begin with so a little added stiffness doesn't hurt, IMO. Very good on smooth roads, a little jarring on rough road.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
unless something was changed drastically, no the Koni Sport Adjustables are Not inserts (strut cartridges). they are strut housing fronts and shocks rear.