E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
E46inthe206

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Blue high beam bowls..

Thoughts?

I want to know where to get some quality spray for this light blue color.. anyone know?
Also, how long would it last for? For eva?

I like the blue more than the yellow many people have..
I own an Orient blue btw.
Looks reallyyyy good on white, but I think it'd look good on my OB as well.

Discuss.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
look at the link in my sig and read it over. plenty have done this combo already
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
he's not the first to do it. i've seen it in yellow, blue, black, and one more color i cant remember. but not every car can pull off the blue. i personally went with yellow on my car cus it compliments the blue. also because when i hit "flash to pass" it lights up super yellow and cars are like wtffff so they move out my way krylon yellow stained glass spray paint is the stuff your looking for. just look for a tint in blue color and you should be fine. just dont go crazy with the amount of layers
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.

Last edited by SK8URDEAD; 05-06-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Moonlight View Post
look at the link in my sig and read it over. plenty have done this combo already
haha thats pretty awesome that you posted here. your diy is the exact one i used. wouldnt be surprised if my results photo is in that thread.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Arock1092

My Ride: Bmw M3
Blue high beam bowls..

Anybody do them in red??.. Photoshop??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
Blue high beam bowls..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arock1092 View Post
Anybody do them in red??.. Photoshop??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Check my thread in the link in my sig
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
What do you guys think about the cheap tint films? You can get them in a wider array of colors, and I think it *might* be slightly easier. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
What do you guys think about the cheap tint films? You can get them in a wider array of colors, and I think it *might* be slightly easier. Any thoughts?
I think using a physical film would make this diy much more difficult. The bowls are not only "bowl shaped"(who would have thought), but also full of multiple angles. Getting something to lay flat on it would be an endless headache.

Last edited by Teddy7; 05-07-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
E46inthe206

I might try and do this when I put my new angel eyes on.
I think I'll leave the headlights in and just take off the glass.
I'd just have to unplug the bulbs, correct?

Last edited by E46inthe206; 05-07-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206
I might try and do this when I put my new angel eyes on.
I think I'll leave the headlights in and just take off the glass.
I'd just have to unplug the bulbs, correct?
Yes that is pretty much it. I used news paper to protect all other areas from over spray. Just pull the entire plug out and block the back of the hole with another sheet of newspaper. Remember to do very light coats to avoid any running.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
E46inthe206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy7 View Post
Yes that is pretty much it. I used news paper to protect all other areas from over spray. Just pull the entire plug out and block the back of the hole with another sheet of newspaper. Remember to do very light coats to avoid any running.

Sweet, thanks.
Now to decide whether to go with blue, or yellow..
I think blue would look either really good, or really bad..
Yellow would look good and compliment the blue a lot, but it's just common.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
also because when i hit "flash to pass" it lights up super yellow and cars are like wtffff so they move out my way
For that, I take a different approach with my lights.

Also, silly juvenile mod. I wouldn't do it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
For that, I take a different approach with my lights.

Also, silly juvenile mod. I wouldn't do it.
What exactly is a "juvenile" mod?

I think people's aesthetic tastes vary greatly and age has nothing to do with it.

I think the only way age comes into it is the proclivity toward showing bad judgement with respect to making mods that severely degrade the performance of the vehicle for the sake of aesthetics. And even then, if I feel like putting 19 inch M3 wheels on my 323 and i am well aware of the effect on driving performance, then to each his own, right?

I love you, man, but sometimes I think you're a notch too hard on people wanting to make their rides unique.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
What exactly is a "juvenile" mod?

I think people's aesthetic tastes vary greatly and age has nothing to do with it.

I think the only way age comes into it is the proclivity toward showing bad judgement with respect to making mods that severely degrade the performance of the vehicle for the sake of aesthetics. And even then, if I feel like putting 19 inch M3 wheels on my 323 and i am well aware of the effect on driving performance, then to each his own, right?

I love you, man, but sometimes I think you're a notch too hard on people wanting to make their rides unique.
A juvenile mod are mods that are popular with juveniles. Making your ride unique is perfectly fine by me, so long as it doesn't negatively interfere with safety and function.

I can give you a lesson on lighting if you'd like. On more technical forums like M3forums, people know better. This stuff is not tolerated. Sometimes General is too general for my liking. As these cars are becoming more affordable, younger and younger people are getting their hands on them and doing dumber and dumber things.

It's also against DOT safety regulations

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
choxor

My Ride: JDM
In all honesty it sounds like an awesome way to get pulled over repeatedly.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
In all honesty it sounds like an awesome way to get pulled over repeatedly.
there's that

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Quote:
A juvenile mod are mods that are popular with juveniles. Making your ride unique is perfectly fine by me, so long as it doesn't negatively interfere with safety and function.

I can give you a lesson on lighting if you'd like. On more technical forums like M3forums, people know better. This stuff is not tolerated. Sometimes General is too general for my liking. As these cars are becoming more affordable, younger and younger people are getting their hands on them and doing dumber and dumber things.

It's also against DOT safety regulations
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. People on M3forum perform this Mod very regularly.

2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
OP, here is one thread of MANY on M3forum regarding the subject. Many 40-60k cars over there have this done, its a matter of taste.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=394773&page=2
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
But it doesn't interfere with safety or function. That especially applies to a car with bi-Xenons because then the high beam bowls are only there for flash to pass.

By the way, you do understand how calling this a "juvenile mod" is insulting to the OP, right? You don't need to insult the OP to make your point. Make your recommendation and leave it at that.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
But it doesn't interfere with safety or function. That especially applies to a car with bi-Xenons because then the high beam bowls are only there for flash to pass.

By the way, you do understand how calling this a "juvenile mod" is insulting to the OP, right? You don't need to insult the OP to make your point. Make your recommendation and leave it at that.
painted headlight bowls doesn't interfere with safety or function? OK...

I don't even know where to begin. you're approaching goingnuts territory. your account is too new here to even know what that means or who he is. i honestly don't think even he would encourage the Chris Brown mod, as you are.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Closed Thread