E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
dotca

My Ride: 02 e46
Advice on good treadlife rain tire / decent performance tire

Hello All,

Seeking the communities input on some tires. Unfortunately a couple years ago on a cold morning running my summer tires (Falken 452's) I hydroplaned on a major 10 lane highway and spun out. I think I did a decent job of getting out of the spin but I screwed up in letting it happen (wasn't speeding). Thankfully it was a Sunday morning and traffic was light. The highway I was on has significant 18 wheeler traffic so it's a miracle I wasn't smoked by a truck and killed.

I love my e46, however this is my first rwd car. I deal with a lot of bad weather and find my e46 is fine with snow (I run dedicated rim/tires for the winter). When it snows, I know it's snowing and drive accordingly, the province loves throwing down salt. However since I spun out I get very nervous in the rain, the interstate/highways here are generally good but sometimes there are issues with "pooling" / puddling. Especially at night it is almost impossible to see these areas. Even on local streets the buses/ trucks leave "knuckles" that might not spin you out but can fish tail you a bit.

I know most of the spots where pooling potential exists in heavy rain / flash rain. Despite knowing the pooling areas sometimes I'm out of town or on country roads and just never know where I may encounter them.

Other notes: MY CAR WILL NEVER SEE THE TRACK. I have winter tires, so an all season isn't particularly important. However in Canada our shoulder season between summer and winter can vary temps from 32f to 50f in October / November, so I can't have California oriented tires. I've been running summer only tires but sometimes in spring/fall its warm one day, near freezing the next.

Currently I'm running http://falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/fk452 on 17" rims, I think 224/45/R17 but might be wrong. I've been happy with the falken tread life, but I know its a lower end tire and since I spun out on them, I feel as though buying better rubber is worthwhile.

Any recommendations for a rain tire that will still offer me some fun (love good performing tires but they need to be offer decent treadlife since I live/work/play in a major urban center full of as homer simpson says "Gas, brake, honk. Gas, brake, honk. Honk, honk, punch. Gas, gas gas!"

I plan to buy my tires in the USA (in either Michigan or Illinois) which means I'm likely looking at www.discounttire.com

Looking forward to any recommendations as surely I'm not the only one who fish tails when encountering pooling.
dotca is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Look at Goodyear TripleTred. Supposed to be awesome in the rain. I personally run Pirellis Cinturato P7 All Season Plus; same size as yours and just installed them today.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 04-21-2013 at 05:27 AM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
dotca

hmm The GoodYear TripleTred is $688 USD tax in for 4 on tirerack.com. I have a shipping address in Ilinois, any comments on price? Thats for 225/50/R17 which I'm pretty sure my car 2002 325i 17" rim can run, I'm not lowered and don't plan on it so an bit of extra sidewall might not be a bad thing. Right? I got a pretty nasty gap in my front wheel wells on my current rim/tire combo, but even though snow isn't a major concern. I Won't be dropping the car.

LOL looks like the forum filtered out your Pirellis Cinturato***8482 suggestion, Am I looking for the Pirellis Cinurato 8482 tire :p

Any recommendations on cheap retailers that will ship to IL would be good.

Also the goodyesrs seem like an all season focused tires, they speak of winter performance. I'm running really good winter rubber, so rather not have a tire oriented towards cold. It does't snow during this shoulder season I mentioned.

Last edited by dotca; 04-21-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Yeah don't know why that happened. It's Pirellis Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. good tire. The Goodyears are expensive but they come with a great warranty. I went with the Pirellis because I just had new 17" wheels installed and the tires offered a little better rim protection.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
dotca

I see you edited your post. My mistake the Goodyears are actualy $737 all in. Certainly pricy but I don't mind paying if the treadlife is decent. Then again I run billzak WR-50's which people complain are poor tread life winters and I'm in my 3rd season easily going to get a 4th (mind you my shifts are far less aggressive when it's cold). So I really don't want to pay for a tire that is made for winter.

The Pirellis Cinturato P7 come in at $589 tax in shipped at the same size extra $37 a tire.

Can anyone confirm the ability to run 225/50/R17 on a 2002 325i 4dr? Rims are 17" for sure.

Only beef I have with Goodyear is that they have a factory here, they have a yard sale once a year. My bro bought Dunlop tires from them (goodyear owns them), he had 2 tire pimples in the second year on opposite sides of the car (clearly showing it wasn't an issue of rim rash since we have very few 1 way streets here + he runs dedicated winter/rim setup) and goodyear didn't do anything for him, we are pretty good complainers when big business does us wrong. Maybe the warranty is better on these tires but once a company has fudged over a family member I'm sort of uneasy to trust them again. (hope someone at goodyear is reading this, piss off one customer and it trickles!).

Last edited by dotca; 04-21-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
How much tread do you have left on your tires. I think legal is 2/32 but for wet conditions I don't like less than 4/32"
I put Michelin Pilot Super Sport on my bmw. I'm very happy with them. They handle well, grip great in both wet and dry. A little pricey. Can't comment on tread life yet. I'd probably buy them again unless something better comes along.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotca View Post
Can anyone confirm the ability to run 225/50/R17 on a 2002 325i 4dr? Rims are 17" for sure.
Those should fit, should have a little less clearance since they will be almost 1 inch taller than the stock size.

The standard tire size would be 205 / 50 / 17, if you want to run 225s I would suggest 225 / 45 / 17. They should fit on the standard 7 inch wide wheels.

Last edited by shanneba; 05-02-2013 at 01:58 PM.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanneba View Post
Those should fit, should have a little less clearance since they will be almost 1 inch taller that the stock size.

The standard tire size would be 205 / 50 / 17, if you want to run 225s I would suggest 225 / 45 / 17. They should fit on the standard 7 inch wide wheels.
Agreed.
I've run both 205 / 50 / 17 and 225 / 45 / 17 on stock rim (7x17 I think).
I went from 205 to 225 becuase Michelin did not offer pilot super sports in 205/50
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotca View Post
I see you edited your post. My mistake the Goodyears are actualy $737 all in. Certainly pricy but I don't mind paying if the treadlife is decent. Then again I run billzak WR-50's which people complain are poor tread life winters and I'm in my 3rd season easily going to get a 4th (mind you my shifts are far less aggressive when it's cold). So I really don't want to pay for a tire that is made for winter.

The Pirellis Cinturato P7 come in at $589 tax in shipped at the same size extra $37 a tire.

Only beef I have with Goodyear is that they have a factory here, they have a yard sale once a year. My bro bought Dunlop tires from them (goodyear owns them), he had 2 tire pimples in the second year on opposite sides of the car (clearly showing it wasn't an issue of rim rash since we have very few 1 way streets here + he runs dedicated winter/rim setup) and goodyear didn't do anything for him, we are pretty good complainers when big business does us wrong. Maybe the warranty is better on these tires but once a company has fudged over a family member I'm sort of uneasy to trust them again. (hope someone at goodyear is reading this, piss off one customer and it trickles!).
Actually, you didn't make a mistake. I edited out the posting issue you described.

Why would you want to run a taller tire than the original size that came with your car (225/45/R17)? I agree that you may have some rubbing issues if your car is lowered or have the sport suspension. Otherwise, you should be okay. If you want a more aggressive tire, I suggest 235/45/R17; a little taller (.36) and a little wider (.39). You may already know this but for everyone's edification, Discount Tire has a good tire calculator on their website so you can see the differences.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Just so everyone's clear, the OP's issue was potential hydroplaning. Increasing the width of your tires increases hydroplaning chances. Get the 205/50s if you're concerned OP. I'm in the same climate as you, but perhaps I drive better according to conditions when it's rainy out. I have felt my car start to hydroplane on some stretches and immediately I'm driving 10 km/h slower the rest of the way home.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
Just so everyone's clear, the OP's issue was potential hydroplaning. Increasing the width of your tires increases hydroplaning chances. Get the 205/50s if you're concerned OP. I'm in the same climate as you, but perhaps I drive better according to conditions when it's rainy out. I have felt my car start to hydroplane on some stretches and immediately I'm driving 10 km/h slower the rest of the way home.
Good point! The skinnier the tire, the less the tendency will be to hydroplane.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
dotca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
Thanks for reminding everyone! Below is discounttires selection in 205/50. Any suggestions?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tog...Tires=1&cs=205

Also really don't want something that's made for winter (like the Contiental DWS), as I have dedicated winter setup. Current tires are okay, but I'll be in the Michigan / Illinois in May and picking them up will save me $160 vs shipping them up north.

Last edited by dotca; 04-21-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Yes, get the best rain tire you can afford. There are some who say that the Goodyear TripleTred is the best tire for wet traction. You can sipe other tires for better wet traction but that won't help channel water away which is what you're looking for. I know your family had some issues with Goodyear before but I wouldn't let that one experience affect your decision (unless you want to avoid criticism from the family...). You can use Tire Rack's website to look at tire ratings since they are the experts at testing and rating tires. Consumer Reports would be another source although you'd have to pay for that. Once you decide, go to Discount Tire to purchase since they'll probably be able to meet or beat Tire Rack's pricing (that's where I purchased my new set of Pirellis).
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
csluyuan
Banned User

Thank you for sharing
csluyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
I'd go with the TripleTred for what you're looking for... rain and treadwear.

That said, I'm a firm believer that Michelin is the best tire maker up and down their product line... that said lol I don't have Michelins for my summer or winter setup.

One thing you may want to consider is to stick with a high performance all-season so you're not completely fubared if some crappy weather comes in a freak way as it's know to up our way (it's worse with lake effect where I am than TO).

From your options given...
On a budget - Continental ContiProContact
Midgrade - Pirelli P6... will likely get more treadlife than advertised... hard compound
Top end - Goodyear TripleTred... BUT my choice if you're going to spend this kind of $$$, Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. You'll have more even treadwear, quieter ride. Michelin is #1 in my books and all the other techs at our shop agree.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
e46bonestock

My Ride: 325
dotca

i have a similar thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=982440

I don't want to spend too much on tires, the best is out of my reach in terms of cost, also because a puncture will destroy these tires.
Driving sensibly on good tires will be good enough.
I've never spun my e46, I'm happy about that.
what have you found on discounttire?
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
03BIMMERM3

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Do check out the bridgestone potentza RE970as pole position, ultra high performance all-season..have em on my M, no complaints, pretty good tire

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
03BIMMERM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #18
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46bonestock View Post
dotca

i have a similar thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=982440

I don't want to spend too much on tires, the best is out of my reach in terms of cost, also because a puncture will destroy these tires.
Driving sensibly on good tires will be good enough.
I've never spun my e46, I'm happy about that.
what have you found on discounttire?
Okay, you two need to just simply decide to get the best tire you can afford. You've received advice and yet it seems you are wanting everyone's approval. It's your money. Spend within your budget and go for it! GL.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 04-24-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
JetBlackCI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
This may help - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=151

I chose the Generals based on this test, got them about a month ago so far so good. I don't drive in the winter but was willing to sacrifice a little performance for better rain handling. Like you I have a lot of areas with water pooling in the "ruts" and the potential to miss seeing them and hydroplane.
JetBlackCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I too have been running G-MAX AS-03's on my M3 for about a year. I am very pleased with them as real world (vs. track star) performance tires. Yeah, perhaps not as Nth degree sharp as some megabuck Michelins, but very good nonetheless and as a bonus, they're good in a broader band of conditions that you're likely to encounter.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote