E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Tyson0317

My Ride: 2002 M3 6-spd
Please help identify a lost plug under my hood.

I was working on my A/C Pressure Sensor and had to remove the right headlight. When putting things back together I find this plug that does not seem to go anywhere. The wire dives out from between the radiators and seems to be running towards the left side of the car, but I could not track it.

A bit of a google search found this eBay auction showing a simular looking plug with the same part number on the hood latch. The Bently is as useless as ever on the matter. Can someone look on their car and maybe tell me where this is supposed to be connected to?
Tyson0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Make sure both headlights have all the plugs, that's what it looks like to me. Check fogs also.
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Tyson0317

There is one on the headlight that looks like that, but this is not it. Im 99% sure that this is the hood latch. I just cant find where it's supposed to connect to.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
hood latch sensor SMG

Last edited by itscoo2pyopants; 05-06-2013 at 05:27 PM.
itscoo2pyopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
FooFighter94

Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson0317 View Post
There is one on the headlight that looks like that, but this is not it. Im 99% sure that this is the hood latch. I just cant find where it's supposed to connect to.
The hood latch does not have an electrical plug, the level you pull inside is a mechanical chord which connects to the latching mechanism under the hood. I know because when I had my hood re-installed, the shop did not tighten it correctly.

How many plugs do you have plugged into your lights right now?

EDIT: also check your windshield washer/headlight washer pumps which are attached to your windshield washer tank. That plug looks similar to those as well.

Last edited by FooFighter94; 05-06-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Tyson0317

Check out the eBay link that I posted below my original pictures. The latch is mechanical but it does have a sensor which the Bentley says is part of the alarm system. Every other car I've seen has a button under the hood - Haans and Franz had to put a sensor where a hand can't reach... That said, the part numbers match. Sprayers, all lights and fog lights work. 99.9% sure it's the lower latch sensor, but still cant find where it's supposed to connect...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Tyson0317

For the record and anyone searching this thread later - I got a possible solution here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=443156

Looks like the plug is hidden in a bundle under the cross member that is above the headlight.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
looks like for the headlight autolevel. Check to see if both lights move up and done when first starting car with lights on
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
FooFighter94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson0317 View Post
Check out the eBay link that I posted below my original pictures. The latch is mechanical but it does have a sensor which the Bentley says is part of the alarm system. Every other car I've seen has a button under the hood - Haans and Franz had to put a sensor where a hand can't reach... That said, the part numbers match. Sprayers, all lights and fog lights work. 99.9% sure it's the lower latch sensor, but still cant find where it's supposed to connect...
That would explain why I have no idea where it goes, as I do not have the alarm system on mine. Also, if it were a latch sensor... wouldn't the cluster notify you that the hood is open, even if it isn't?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Tyson0317

Thing is, mine also does not have the alarm, technically. I read some place that all M3's have the factory alarm parts in them exempt for the siren. If your car "has the alarm", the system is enabled and you have a siren to make noise. If your car technically didnt have the alarm, the system is just disabled and you are missing the siren.

You did make a good point about the open hood notification - I dont have it... Maybe the open hood is ran from a different button/sensor. I am a new M3 owner, but looking at this thing from an engeneering standpoint, I am finding more and more often that I am left scratching my head... That thing that peeves me is that these cars cost a pretty penny. All of these sensors and systems are not cheap and I am having trouble understanding why I am paying for them...