E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
TopasE46

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Any other mechanics?

Are there any other mechanics on this forum?

And no, I don't mean people who work in an office and change their own oil and spark plugs.

I work as a diesel technician for a Ford dealer. I am new to BMWs (had a trick 1992 VW Jetta before I bought my e46) and have been building, selling, and trading cars all my life.

I have found that there aren't many people that own e46s that are professional mechanics.

I'm not trying to bash D.I.Y.ers or inexperienced people (we all had to start somewhere, mine was rebuilding 1971 Ford F-100 my dad gave me at 10-18 years old), just wondering if there's anyone else who works in a shop and owns one.

This thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=985694

Had me shaking my head. Some of the replies make me wonder how cars have lasted so long without underbelly shields! I have a 1948 international flatbed that still runs, no shields!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by TopasE46; 05-07-2013 at 11:49 AM.
TopasE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
drift.mechanic

My Ride: E46 323i
Any other mechanics?

I'm a 9 year tech with 2 years at BMW Jalbert (Montreal before it closed), 2 years at Honda (Civic Sources) and 5 years at an Indy shop on the outskirts of Montreal.

Built 2 chassis for DMCC (Drift Mania Canadian Championship), built 2 chassis for CTCC (Canadian Touring Car Championship) and 1 chassis for CRC (Canadian Rally Championship).

In regards to your comment on not running belly pans... I'm a perfectionist and obsessed with precision. With my background in racing, more specifically CTCC, I can tell you the advantages of having the belly pan (we used belly pans that were also front splitters. They extended 8-10" from the bumper's lip and angled between 17 and 22 degrees) and I can tell you the disadvantages to not having one (especially when the car's undercarriage is designed to have one).

I think a safe thing to say is:
- if your car came with it from the factory, do not remove it.

You can modify it (to have a bigger access hole for the oil drain plug).

You can extend it (to have a longer pan extending to the transmission. Main gain would be ease of rapid air passage under the chassis).

You can change it's material (I have seen a few guys who have produced homemade fibreglass moulds and cranked out ghetto carbon fiber pans. In CRC we used aluminum reinforced carbon).

You can even make it a diaper (yes a diaper. While in Toronto during a DMCC event, our engine have up the ghost and started puking oil from the dipstick tube, front and rear crank seals and so on {thank you Tial wastegate for getting jammed wide open!} so we lined the splitter/belly pan with adult reusable diapers and voila! An engine diaper).
But you can't remove it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
TopasE46

Re: Any other mechanics?

Nice to see another tech on here. I haven't had quite the fabrication experience you have, but I'm building a 1972 F-100 step side with a 2003 crown Vic front suspension and a 4 linked 8.8 from a explorer sport trac.

I just believe belly pans are there for oil/fluid drips, a little bit of aerodynamics, and mostly to keep stuff from going up into the engine bay. I don't think there's any real harm to running without one, unless something flies up and hits the engine on the highway or something.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
There was just one of these threads like a month ago.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
TopasE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
There was just one of these threads like a month ago.
That's nice.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837491

Now this is a mechanic
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
TopasE46

I never knew an e30 touring existed... lol.

Edit: I probably have, but just mistook them for the e34 touring.

Last edited by TopasE46; 05-07-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
TopasE46

Sort of want.