E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #6021
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
help guys. Girlfriends step mom is throwing her a party for her 30th and they want everyone to dress a little nicer. It's a house party, probably 20+ people, a hired bartender and music. I was told not to wear a suit but not a polo or anything like that. I'm kind of weird about this stuff. I'm starting to care more about what I wear and I like to look good but I don't like when it appears that I am trying too hard. I guess that will be gone after getting a little more used to this thing. I'm just not sure what to wear. My gf will be wearing a nice dress but nothing too fancy. She mentioned something like a nice button up, nice jeans, and my boat shoes. Just looking for ideas since usually my go to nicer outfit is some sort of button up.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #6022
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
solly, i think dappered.com would be a good resource for you
the budget and styling is right for what you are looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #6023
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
thanks I'll check it out. Any suggestions for the party?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #6024
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
help guys. Girlfriends step mom is throwing her a party for her 30th and they want everyone to dress a little nicer. It's a house party, probably 20+ people, a hired bartender and music. I was told not to wear a suit but not a polo or anything like that. I'm kind of weird about this stuff. I'm starting to care more about what I wear and I like to look good but I don't like when it appears that I am trying too hard. I guess that will be gone after getting a little more used to this thing. I'm just not sure what to wear. My gf will be wearing a nice dress but nothing too fancy. She mentioned something like a nice button up, nice jeans, and my boat shoes. Just looking for ideas since usually my go to nicer outfit is some sort of button up.
if its older people, they are distinguishing between a suit and tie vs a blazer/sportcoat.

Just wear a sportcoat with your regular outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
my thoughts exactly
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #6025
rohde88

http://dappered.com/2013/04/style-sc...ing-cocktails/
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #6026
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
if its older people, they are distinguishing between a suit and tie vs a blazer/sportcoat.

Just wear a sportcoat with your regular outfit.

my thoughts exactly
that looks good. I need a good sport coat. Boat shoes ok with something like this?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #6027
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
thank you
Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #6028
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
that looks good. I need a good sport coat. Boat shoes ok with something like this?
i would do boat shoes with a lighter, more casual blazer, possibly linen or something very light and summer-y.

For a nice blazer, a nice fitting pair of jeans and dress shoes for me do the trick. I have a light brown/gray plaid blazer from Zara. I wear my walnut strands with it, or my blue/orange wingtips. Both look great IMO.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #6029
rohde88

Picked up the grey and light blue from UNIQLO.

Also got a pair or tan shorts and a dark blue linen LS shirt.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #6030
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Who's got some nicer chinos?
My land's end canvas chinos are great as just beaters for $15ish each
But I would like a slightly better pair that I can wear to work or out

I will probably swing by Brooks bros tomorrow
25% friends and fam sale going on

[bimmerapp]

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 05-08-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #6031
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
JCrew factory has some nice slim fit chinos @$34 a pop i think. Better than all my BR chinos...try out a pair and buy more if you like them
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #6032
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Well, a local friend of mine approached me with an offer to buy my car for a pretty good price, so it looks like I'm back on the hunt for a car.

135i

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #6033
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

135i performance rocks
The looks ... still getting used to it ... doesn't look as ugly as I first thought but still can't accept it fully

[bimmerapp]

Quote:

Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #6034
JJR4884

I took a buddy's 135i out on auto-x last year, and hopefully i'll be doing it very soon this year as well. Love it. SGM over coral red leather, that car looks really sharp. They look much better in darker colors, and personally i think the back of them are pretty badass.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #6035
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
I took a buddy's 135i out on auto-x last year, and hopefully i'll be doing it very soon this year as well. Love it. SGM over coral red leather, that car looks really sharp. They look much better in darker colors, and personally i think the back of them are pretty badass.
The darker colors are definitely more attractive......I'm looking for any colors that aren't white, red or cashmere silver. Has to be a manual, with the M-Sport package and a few other little things.

I found a good one here in St. Louis, 2011 with 45k miles but a few things drove me away. High miles, non-cpo (has a Dinan tune), driven hard (avg speed 32mph, avg mpg 14, lol), and the back bumper has two big holes carved in it to support a rear bike rack

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #6036
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Beachcomer look is always in.

Khaki's with a nice button down and some boat shoes.

A simple Blazer can dress up any outfit.

Quote:
Yeah but don't abuse the tie clip like this pic. Tie clips are one of the most commonly mis-worn items out there specifically their height worn or width of the clip in relation to the tie.

Last edited by yousharenow; 05-09-2013 at 10:17 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #6037
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I've never understood the appeal of tie clips
I realize their function...heck, I'm tall and have issues with ties which aren't long enough....I just buy "tall" ties though

** Removed **

Last edited by SLVR JDM; 05-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #6038
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I realize their function...heck, I'm tall and have issues with ties which aren't long enough....I just buy "tall" ties though
They are to keep your soup of of the water fountain/your lunch soup.

It's just a piece of the overall outfit, If you wear them right, I think they look good.

I only wear one with my suit though, same goes with cuff-links.

Last edited by yousharenow; 05-09-2013 at 10:30 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #6039
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
The darker colors are definitely more attractive......I'm looking for any colors that aren't white, red or cashmere silver. Has to be a manual, with the M-Sport package and a few other little things.

I found a good one here in St. Louis, 2011 with 45k miles but a few things drove me away. High miles, non-cpo (has a Dinan tune), driven hard (avg speed 32mph, avg mpg 14, lol), and the back bumper has two big holes carved in it to support a rear bike rack
sparkling graphite metallic my friend.... what are you interested in spending? I might have someone that is getting rid of theirs, but its in MA/RI. If you want details I'll let you know. 2008 135i with 50k(ish)

SGM over coral red, 6 speed, m-sport package, navi, full loaded pretty much. The car is in amazing condition, JB4, slip on exhaust (forgot which brand)... and a few other things. Just let me know if you want more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I think they are ugly lol. There is a guy here in the office that always wears one. He is like, 5'6", his ties always end up 2-3 inches above his waist line, and he wears this god awful gold chain-like tie bar.

If you are wondering, yes this is the guy that wears the santa clause and christmas tree ties from G Fox during christmas time.

(lol throwback store right there)

Also... how much longer are "long" ties? Couple inches? I am thinking about getting a few just because I typically go with a victorian or full windsor knot, and i can't stand how the added fabric needed barely allows the end of the tie to reach the inside of the tag on the back side of the tie.

Get what I'm saying? Next time I am in Nordstroms or wherever, i'll just tie it and see how it looks
Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #6040
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I'm considering a new suit purchase. I have a couple weddings coming up, and more importantly, considering a job hunt. None of my suits fit me well enough that I would feel confident in an interview setting, so that is the driver more than the weddings. The weddings I can get by with what I have since most people in attendance aren't exactly in tune with how a suit should fit anyway.

Suggestions around the $350 range? Probably charcoal in color, but navy might be considered as well.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote