E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
20/20 vision my whole life. I guess all those hrs on a computer for the past 2 hrs has taken its toll.

Any recommendation for the best place to get the coolest glasses? LensCrafters is a fail, no?

Where do u guys get urs?

Getting old

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Lenscrafters is actually really good. At least out here in SoCal. They have a great selection of new and in style brand name frames. They also use a cool program to measure your glasses will center on your face and eye. Then they make the lens on site and have them ready in a hour or two.

Here's what I have... Oakley Sockets 4.0. Also look into contact if you're up to that. But either way you will still need a set of eyeglasses.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS

Last edited by zuckuss00; 05-07-2013 at 12:22 PM.
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
+1 and order them online.
only thing I noticed about ordering the online is that you need current prescription.

so for me it was, go get "free" prescription from eye care place and buy their contacts at 120$ for 2-3 month supply

or go to a doctor and pay 70-80 dollars for prescription(one year) and pay 40 dollars for 2-3 month supply

maybe go to the optometrist and pay the 70-80 for prescription and then buy a whole years supply.

glasses can be cool..

..on hot girls

"And all of my limitations begin to fade away. In this place I have freedom It's here I wish to stay.
Thoughts become distant feelings, I'm going with the flow. I'll just sit still now and begin by letting go...
begin by letting go...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Just found out I meed glasses :(

Go wherever has a good selection of frames, and find something you like. Glasses are unfortunately something you have to wear all the time so it's better to spend some $$$ on frames that make you feel good as opposed to cheaping out and getting something you don't want to wear.

You can also get lenses done at Costco for most frames, even if the frames came from somewhere else. I usually get my first set of lenses in a frame done under insurance with my doctor, then when I get a new prescription take the old frames to Costco and get new lenses to use as a backup pair. Works out great.

I still haven't found a pair of sunglasses I like that accept prescription lenses so if I'm doing something where I want to wear shades, ill wear contacts. Stick to glasses on days you have to work on the computer a lot though, it saves your eyes a lot of strain and definitely makes the screen easier to read. If you do go contacts, I really recommend the accueview oasis 2. I've tried a ton of lenses and always go back to those for long term comfort.

Edit: when you order your glasses, get the anti-reflective coating. It's very worth it.

Last edited by ThEnder; 05-07-2013 at 02:03 PM.
ThEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
Go wherever has a good selection of frames, and find something you like. Glasses are unfortunately something you have to wear all the time so it's better to spend some $$$ on frames that make you feel good as opposed to cheaping out and getting something you don't want to wear.

You can also get lenses done at Costco for most frames, even if the frames came from somewhere else. I usually get my first set of lenses in a frame done under insurance with my doctor, then when I get a new prescription take the old frames to Costco and get new lenses to use as a backup pair. Works out great.

I still haven't found a pair of sunglasses I like that accept prescription lenses so if I'm doing something where I want to wear shades, ill wear contacts. Stick to glasses on days you have to work on the computer a lot though, it saves your eyes a lot of strain and definitely makes the screen easier to read. If you do go contacts, I really recommend the accueview oasis 2. I've tried a ton of lenses and always go back to those for long term comfort.

Aviators brah

Oh and my opinion on glasses. Weight is hugely important. And I hate spring hinges. I think the best are light weight frames with friction hinges.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
zuckuss00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Aviators brah

Oh and my opinion on glasses. Weight is hugely important. And I hate spring hinges. I think the best are light weight frames with friction hinges.
+1

I have Ray Ban RB 8309 Sunglasses that can accept a prescription lens. Really nice sunglasses. However, I where contacts most the time so I just keep the polarized lens in. But like I mentioned you can put a prescription lens in them.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
I wore contacts for 4 years and now it's hard to wear them. Your eyes only have a certain amount of time they can wear them. For some people it's a year. For some they can go their entire life. Basically, get glasses first, then get contacts to wear for sports, social events, whatever.
Never heard of that.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
I'm basically blind in my right eye without glasses. I've been wearing them all my life. Till about a year or two ago when I just randomly stopped wearing them.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert

All u guys recommending contacts. I guess if your proper vision is dependent on the prescription, then yes, I'd definitely go contacts.

I have very minor astigmatism in my right eye. Left is still good. Right deteriorated since last year, when I was just a notch below 20/20. This year I ate less veggies lol.

So I've been told by the opto that the glasses might help give me comfort for the long hrs in front of the pc. As far as driving, reading, all other activities, there's no need for glasses for me. That doesn't mean I won't ball out for the work glasses ;-) and if I can get prescription polarized raybans for $20 sign me up!

But yeah, hopefully the glasses during work and using lube (lol eye drops) that the doc gave me will slow down if not end or improve the deterioration.

I've heard of cases where the vision improves (naturally, for the eye) after wearing glasses for some time. Any of you hear that?

Last edited by fayraree; 05-07-2013 at 06:59 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #29
dj XeNo

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325 Ci
Re: Just found out I meed glasses :(

You can always do eye exercises to strengthen your eyes so you don't need glasses anymore.

dj XeNo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
Jonshmoe

My Ride: (GONE)
Send a message via AIM to Jonshmoe Send a message via MSN to Jonshmoe Send a message via Skype™ to Jonshmoe
Quote:
You're talking for prescription sunglasses right? What about regular glasses?

I was speaking about regular glasses. I'll post a pic later for you if you wish

Jet Black E90
Sienna Red E46 (RIP)
Jonshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
20/20 vision my whole life. I guess all those hrs on a computer for the past 2 hrs has taken its toll.

Any recommendation for the best place to get the coolest glasses? LensCrafters is a fail, no?

Where do u guys get urs?

Getting old

Georgetown Optical
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #32
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
You need glasses?

Wow what a phaggot.

Last edited by Gheybe; 05-07-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
I'm getting some as well for the first time. Thinking of these.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/...B6182?var=2509

Just started looking.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonshmoe View Post
I was speaking about regular glasses. I'll post a pic later for you if you wish
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'd say so. You can't even type "need" right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

Had to turn off the TV... Fox was making more sense than anyone else.

The rest of the world must be laughing at us now. It is so bad slipping to third world status...
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #36
tsmit172

My Ride: 2001 330i 5MT

Last edited by tsmit172; 05-10-2013 at 10:10 PM.
tsmit172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #37
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
I'm getting some as well for the first time. Thinking of these.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/...B6182?var=2509

Just started looking.
Go to a store with lots of frames and try them on in the mirror. No need for eBay or online research imo.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #38
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Never heard of that.
My eye doctor told me. Basically the contacts prevent your eyes from "breathing" as well since there is a layer covering them. To get oxygen they develop more veins to bring in more blood supply, and people can get irritation and bumps on the surface of the eye over time. Not everyone, but definitely a decent amount.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #39
zuckuss00

Quote:
My eye doctor told me. Basically the contacts prevent your eyes from "breathing" as well since there is a layer covering them. To get oxygen they develop more veins to bring in more blood supply, and people can get irritation and bumps on the surface of the eye over time. Not everyone, but definitely a decent amount.
True

Contacts are not really meant to be worn for extended amounts of time. I really only wear mine a while I'm at school/work/social event. All the other time I just use my glasses or nothing at all. I'm nearsighted so I can function and read just fine without glasses. Just not far away stuff. Also I can usually get 6-7 weeks out of my 30 day contacts comfortably.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #40
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock