E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 12:57 AM   #41
blucaller

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondutc
i want to get those powerflex bushings and bimmerworld asked what size 60 or 66mm...do you guys know? for an e46 99 328i.

I got mine done early this year with the Trailing Arm Toe Bushings and alignment too. So everything worked out fine the first time. As for the measurment I asked a BMW mechanic. He said that there was no "recall" as bimmerworld states. BMW would upgrade the bushings only if you asked or complained about it. The mechanic just looked and saw how beat up mine were and knew they were 60mm. So if BMW never changed yours, you probably have the 60's.

I take this canyon detour every chance I get going home! Love it!

Peace
blucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:00 AM   #42
cristor

My Ride: BMW 328i
E46 steering Problems

[QUOTE=raymondutc]So I'd like to know if there is anyone who did replace their control arms/ball joints AND installed these powerflex bushings to see whether they have any vibrating issues or not.

OK, in pursuit of solving my 1999 E46 2.8i steering problems i.e. steering shake and rattle and the unnerving feeling when tacking a bend at speed, in fact standard Fords left me for dead! I have had,
New complete Control arms (the replacementshad been modified in design)
Powerflex urethane rear control arm and Anti-roll bar bushings fitted
New anti-roll bar links, new tyres, Balance, tracking, swopped rear wheels to front and re balance, camber/alignment checked,new disc pads,disc ok.
Results: Massive improvement in corner handling,potholes are delt with firmly but with more control, rather than driving a bouncy castle, definite improvement in stering shake BUT I still have a steering rattle,that is a vibration knock at the steering wheel head at low speeds or on uneven roads. BMW say there have not been any mods to steering column or rack(truth?) say prob may be in lower half of s/column joints causing vibrations?
Me thinks there are major design faults being hid here, time the likes of Top-Gear took this on! I'm going to drop them a line, more the better! Will post resilts of Steering column check when completed, anyone got an other advice apart from buying a Rover? Chris
cristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #43
raymondutc

My Ride: '99 328i
[QUOTE=cristor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondutc
So I'd like to know if there is anyone who did replace their control arms/ball joints AND installed these powerflex bushings to see whether they have any vibrating issues or not.

OK, in pursuit of solving my 1999 E46 2.8i steering problems i.e. steering shake and rattle and the unnerving feeling when tacking a bend at speed, in fact standard Fords left me for dead! I have had,
New complete Control arms (the replacementshad been modified in design)
Powerflex urethane rear control arm and Anti-roll bar bushings fitted
New anti-roll bar links, new tyres, Balance, tracking, swopped rear wheels to front and re balance, camber/alignment checked,new disc pads,disc ok.
Results: Massive improvement in corner handling,potholes are delt with firmly but with more control, rather than driving a bouncy castle, definite improvement in stering shake BUT I still have a steering rattle,that is a vibration knock at the steering wheel head at low speeds or on uneven roads. BMW say there have not been any mods to steering column or rack(truth?) say prob may be in lower half of s/column joints causing vibrations?
Me thinks there are major design faults being hid here, time the likes of Top-Gear took this on! I'm going to drop them a line, more the better! Will post resilts of Steering column check when completed, anyone got an other advice apart from buying a Rover? Chris
wow you pretty much took care of everything and still have some steering vibrations??? hmmm interesting. i am right now waiting for my bushings still while they are redoing the design or something in light of the breakage of these inner bushing. but when i get those and the new control arms we'll see what happens. ill be disappointed if there is still rattle but according to you there will be. regardless i need new bushings and id rather take my chances with powerflex.
raymondutc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:45 PM   #44
Slam128

My Ride: 01' 325i
I just finished my DIY install of the powerflex bushing (66mm). It was a pain in the ass to remove the metal inner housing piece that holds the rubber in place let alone removing the damn bushing. Took me a while to do, but finally got it out. While pressing the inner housing out....BAD NEWS....I noticed the passenger side used the 66mm housing while the driver side used the 60mm. WTF?? I was able to fit the bushing into one side, but not able to get the other one in because the housing is too small. Now i'm stuck with my car in limbo at the shop. I have to go to the dealer and order a FREAKING larger housing! Did any of you guys encountered this problem!! Could this possibly have been a mix up during assembly? When did BMW switch from the 60mm to the 66mm?? My car was built in APRIL 2001.
Slam128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:52 AM   #45
CtrlAltDel
www.piratecove.org

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to CtrlAltDel Send a message via AIM to CtrlAltDel
I thought that I would let everyone know that I was able to talk my dealership into pressing out the old bushings/pressing in the new ones for $20

i actually just bought new 66mm carriers to upgrade from the 60 so i just took the parts there and worked some magic with the SM.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:02 AM   #46
///ACS330Ci
Artist formerly k/a Steve

My Ride: ACS/M-Technik 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to ///ACS330Ci Send a message via AIM to ///ACS330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel
I thought that I would let everyone know that I was able to talk my dealership into pressing out the old bushings/pressing in the new ones for $20

i actually just bought new 66mm carriers to upgrade from the 60 so i just took the parts there and worked some magic with the SM.
Can you please post the p/n's and prices for the 66mm carriers?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:14 AM   #47
CtrlAltDel
www.piratecove.org

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to CtrlAltDel Send a message via AIM to CtrlAltDel
dunno the part numbers
just went to the dealer, said i need new front control arm bushings, he stepped through the parts for my car, and then when it came to that screen, there was two listings for bushings, a 60mm one and a 66mm one...i told him to select the 66mm ones.

since when you order them from the dealer, you get the bracket+bushing (its a set of two) you will need to get the new bushings pressed out.

after CCA discount it was like $90-95
then $20 to get them pressed
plus the $60 for the powerflex i think i paid

so you get the idea of what it costs to switch from 60 to 66mm carriers
Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #48
ajai

My Ride: 330ci***65104; 328i
Any update on how the vibration solve????

missed the ci, welcome the i
ajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #49
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
My car was literally being manufactured when this thread was authored.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #50
sstackman

My Ride: 04 zhp ci 06 330cic
I haven't done this job yet on mine , its the next item on my list. My plan was bushings and ball joints in one visit to this area on the car and this thread confirms that. I also wasn't even considering this job without also budgeting and scheduling a trip to the alignment rack immediately following. I sincerely doubt a tire balance issue would have anything to do with any post work vibrations and would lean heavily tword the ball joint and or alignment.
sstackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #51
sstackman

My Ride: 04 zhp ci 06 330cic
LOL tock I should pay attention to dates, wow
sstackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #52
ajai

My Ride: 330ci***65104; 328i
I regret doing it.. I should use oem.
I will not pay for new ball join just I use Thea bushing..

missed the ci, welcome the i
ajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #53
roboeclipse

My Ride: E46 330ci
I've had the PowerFlex bushings for a week now, and I haven't experienced any problems. On the freeway, I normally drive between 70-80 mph and never encountered any steering wheel vibrations. Like others have said, it might be your ball joints or your wheels need to be re-balanced....or both. The Power Flex front control arm bushings are a dark purple color and not black like OEM.

photo powerflex_zps0425709d.jpg
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #54
frongm

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I just installed these with new control arms and hr touring kit Smooth as glass up to 90... Still taking it easy with the car as I have new rubber and brakes as well
frongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #55
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
I hope everyone is aware that the stock ball joints are rubber and don't last for crap. I don't really understand why people would get poly anyway for the street's where potholes are a common thing. I can understand getting them so they last longer. Meyle HD's are stiffer than oe, last longer, and are made for streets and not perfectly smooth race tracks. I would also ask your alignment shop if they know what they are doing with your car.
Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #56
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
Installed powerflex bushings, review and problem that has surfaced

Here

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote