E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
evilpinkeye

My Ride: E46 M3
Angry Drive train noise thought to be differential

Hi everyone,

Going nuts with a noise that was first thought to be the classic Diff going to crap sound.

Sound is something that is very noticeable between 20-30mph and smooths out after to the point of not being even noticeable. A whaa whaa whaa that speeds up and slows down with speed. Makes the same sound in either direction with or without power. When slowing down to a stop, sound is heard all the way to 0mph

History - Car purchased 3 months again knowing this sound existed when I test drove it. Sound appeared to be coming from rear driver side so again, what the hell, I grabbed the car. Not afraid of working on the car.

-Things tried so far - from cheap(ish) to my butt hurts.
Changed Diff Oil to BWM suggested oil. Even added the friction modifier as suggested by a member here.

-Changed driver-side rear wheel bearing after friends witnessed the sound themselves as I was pulling out of a driveway.

-Swapped the Differential only to have the exact same sound occur. (Now have a diff for sale - lemme know)

-Changed my front brakes and took the chance to check the front hubs for play/noise.

-Checked Guibo and CSB. Both appear new and very clean but couldn't take apart to inspect for play and such.

My questions now...
How much rotational play the shaft supposed to have? I can basically grip the rear wheel and make the shaft spin for like an inch, heard this is normal though.

Rear axels..I gripped both and was able to move them rather easily left and right into boots if this makes any sense. There are no rips but the driver side one moves a bit too easily and there is evidence that a boot previous tore thanks to the screak of grease that was left behind, so this will be my next part to change...anyone ever had this make this type of noise??

Thought about tire flat spots, but yeah I don't see anything noticeable nor have spares..anyone willing to let me barrow some SSRs to test??

Hoping I can get some ideas to what this could be and some good tests to try because I'm not to wild about buying parts only to end up with spares smh..

Thanks!
evilpinkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
evilpinkeye

to help clarify, this a like a half-second groan that is speed dependent...
No experiences?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
evilpinkeye

Fixed

So just incase anyone where to every find my post regarding this stupid noise....do the cheap test first and swap your tires!!!

Swapped all 4 out with another M and bam...car was smooooooth as hell!

So basically the source of my sound was bad tires!

Good Luck!

Tags
differential, grind, noise, rub