E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
j2sound

My Ride: 316ti Se Compact
The E46 that required a re-shell progress thread :)

Hi all im new to the forum, ive come over from bimmerforums as i find this forum to be alot more helpful with my search's ive copied my thread over from bimmerforums for you all to see what work i have done to date, hope you enjoy and any advice is greatly appreciated.....

Hi all, I've only recently joined the forum as I pickup up my first BMW a few days ago, She's a blue 316ti SE Compact currently fitted with coilovers and full cream leather trim.

I Have a few questions to ask you guys on here,
Firstly is it possible using the front wings, bumper, bonnet and headlights from the saloon version to get rid of the horrible round headlights?
Second, this car is so underpowered kinda disappointing, is there any modifications that are worth doing to increase power other than an engine transplant?
Thirdly I have what seems to be a common problem, my key fob remote does not work, I tried the re-initializing that I see on here with no luck, then I cut open the key fob and replaced the rechargeable battery with still no joy, so im thinking possibly the antenna under the spoiler?

Plans for the car are different wheels, Angel headlights, tinted rear windows and go lower on the current coil overs then think of more stuff lol

Pics.....

My previous car not to everyone's taste but never the less it was a little pocket rocket Peugeot 106 Quicksilver

Complete Engine Transplant 1.4 8v to 1.6 16v GTi Engine
4-2-1 Stainless Manifold Heat Wrapped and Fitted
Straight Through De-cat Full Stainless Race pipe & Supersprint Silencer Heat Wrapped and Fitted
Cold Air Feed Induction Kit Fitted
Fast Road Cams Fitted
Lowered 60mm on Springs Front End
Torsion Bar Lowered 70mm on Rear
Peugeot Esseco Splitter and Spoiler Painted and Fitted VW Brilliant Orange
Standard 106 GTi Side Skirts Painted VW Brilliant Orange
Decals Applied
Angel Eye Headlights Fitted
Toad Alarm and Immobilizer Fitted
Tow Straps Fitted Front and Rear
Rocker Covers Painted VW Brilliant Orange
Windows Tinted

After having a fight with a lamppost and loosing badly I now have a massivle dented rear quarter, a crushed sill and a door that no longer closes let along a car that no longer drives in a straight line, it crabs pretty badly to the left.

After removing the interior around the point of impact and cutting away the outer skin. The middle and inner skins are both damaged aswell as the floor pan has bubbled up. Going to be a lot of cutting, acrowing and welding to fix this before filling and spraying.

Ok so a while later its clear this isn't going to be repaired, so no being put off ive decided to re-shell instead now ***9786;

My new shell was delivered all n at the cost of 600 which isn't too bad as the amount of spares I shall have left over afterwards

also im on the lookout for a 2001-2004 325 engine if i can get hold of 1 in time while the car still in peices incase anyone is selling 1??? Ohhh an heres the pics from today

Heres a few more pics now ive finshed the engine swap, not much left to go now and only been 2days so far just causal working on it

now the new going in...

The cars all up and running again now.... Only problem ive got is i went to bleed the clutch as it currently dont work and i couldn't even get fluid out the nipple on the slave on side of gearbox :| is there a special way to bleed on these im not realizing???_a_

Last edited by j2sound; 05-06-2013 at 11:38 AM.
j2sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
j2sound

Ok found the clutch problem, the piston on clutch slave has push itself out into the gearbox somehow :| so gearbox coming off, getting the piston out and fitting new box and slave... The joys of cars aye lol nothing goes right always something extra needs doing :| lol but heres where i got to though lol whole car complete again...

Took the box off again today, and found all the moving parts from the slave destroyed inside it aswell as a broken release bearing fork, so after changing the box for another all is good and well again, sorry about pics as i only took one as was kinda in a rush to get it done, full gearbox swap in 4.5 hours not bad going lol heres the 1 pic of the day

Finally the car is complete once again....

Fitted some HID's....

And boom... head gasket goes :| now I have even more work to do... any advice on replacing the head gasket would be greatly appreciated, especially around the whole vanos cam situation...

Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
j2sound

noone care to enlighten me on the headgasket replacement?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
DarkSyde330ci

My Ride: COUPE
I'm sorry but that's the ugliest bmw I've ever seen in my life do a front end swap asap... the rear of the car I guess you are stuck with. Paint looks good though
Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
francogt1

My Ride: E30 M3
Send a message via AIM to francogt1
^ lol
Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe

The front panel that holds the headlights and radiators n stuff will be different mate. The parts from a coupe or saloon probably wont just be as easy as a bt on attempt. But you could probably get a sport bumper to fit easily enough which will improve the looks. Love the wee 106. I also had one. Nostalgic.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Wow! Lot of work, respect for that, very cool project and admirable perseverance!

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
j2sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyde330ci View Post
I'm sorry but that's the ugliest bmw I've ever seen in my life do a front end swap asap... the rear of the car I guess you are stuck with. Paint looks good though
I agree lol its high on the to-do list right after head gasket lol the joy of an e46 compact aye lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydlloyd85 View Post
The front panel that holds the headlights and radiators n stuff will be different mate. The parts from a coupe or saloon probably wont just be as easy as a bt on attempt. But you could probably get a sport bumper to fit easily enough which will improve the looks. Love the wee 106. I also had one. Nostalgic.
Yeah as far as i am aware i need a full front end including slam panel & re-enforcer but its do able, yeah i miss the little pug should never have sold her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Wow! Lot of work, respect for that, very cool project and admirable perseverance!
Thank you, appreciate the comment

View my full reshell and then head gasket replacment here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=985734

Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
a drop and spacers and you are good to go!

oh wait..
check the DIY section for guide on your issues for sure.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
j2sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
a drop and spacers and you are good to go!

oh wait..
check the DIY section for guide on your issues for sure.
Yes it already has the coilovers fitted but im not going to drop untill ive sorted all my other problems first, makes it easier on the whole jacking up the car situation, soon as its sorted a nice set if wheels and a bug drop will be done i did have a look through the diy sectin but couldnt really find a good enough diy to make me comfortable in replacing the gasket :|

View my full reshell and then head gasket replacment here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=985734

Old 05-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
j2sound

Ok so ive finally found a good diy and thanks to a friend of mine a legit copy of autodata so will soon be starting the headgasket, if all goes well then happy days, if it goes horribly wrong then its engine out time again and start looking for a straight 6 to replace it with instead:p win win situation i suppose

Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
I think the sedan front end should be possible. If you look at a picture of sedan/coupe headlights off the car, and then look at the compact headlights, they have the same mounting points and similar inner size. If those bolt onto the radiator support, then your biggest challenge will be front bumper and fender fitment. Maybe they bolt right up with no issues, or maybe you need to frankenstein weld some fenders together. Either way I know it won't be a big mess, should be pretty straightforward.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 05-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
nimraynn

My Ride: 2000 E46 323Ci SE
Nice work.

Did they actually do a compact with a 6-cyl engine from factory? Could be a tidy little project if it all fits, which I'd assume it does being based on the bigger E46's

Edit Just had a quick look on Parkers. I see they did a 325ti. That sounds like a fun little hatch

Last edited by nimraynn; 05-12-2013 at 03:15 PM.
nimraynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
If you can fit a 6cyl in there then I wonder if S54 can fit there as well.
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
j2sound

Yes as standard the compacts are avaliable with upto the 2.5 6cyl engines, the m3 s54 engine also fits but requires modifying or the radiator and keeping cool becomes an issue, as fun as the 3.2 sounds i dont want the hassle it brings and wont go bigger that the 325

Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
j2sound

Ok so ive finally started the head gasket... id just like to add before going any further that this is my first ever head gasket on any car lol so hope all goes well as im hoping to time the engine up without the special overly priced bmw tools :| lol

Some pics of the progress today....

The creamy creamy oil

Inlet and exhaust manifold aswell as end of cams and timing chain removed...

Me and my little helper (son) having well deserved lunch break lol

All the valvetronic parts removed with ex cam and motor

Head now off and oh the water in my cylinders :| damn

The start or the clean up process....

I will carry on with the car tomorrow now as daylight is slowly fading :| feel free to ask any questions ect...
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #17
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
good luck with the project.
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
j2sound

Head gasket is all done now and engine is up and running "again" lol will upload the rest of the pics tomorrow, has a slight misfire and slow throttle response tho but im putting that down to the timing being slightly out as i done all the timing work using tipex marks as bmw want ***163;272 for the timing tool to do it properly, but ive got it more than close enough to have a fully running engine atm, will tinker with it a little more tomorrow in the hope of getting it bang on, if not ill be doing what i hate and visiting a garage that has the correct timing tools and get them just to tweek the timing for me :| should be and hours labour charge as not much work involed timing these engines if you know roughly how an engine works, specially if you have the timing tool lol

Old 05-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
JaYaRe

My Ride: goes, Brroom Brooom
wowzers you put alot of work into that car
Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
If you are planning on putting an M54 2.5 in the car. Why not try and get the M54 3.0?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote