E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #101
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
It's too funny. Depo only makes one housing for the P46. It is NOT a umnitza product, as much as they want you to think it is. Nothing is made by them. Of course the lite and premium have the same cutoff. It's the same bloody product.

Like I keep saying, they try to stuff these things down our throat and I was the only one to challenge and go on a crusade to fix this - and it seems to be working.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 AM   #102
snitzl3

My Ride: e60 LCI
Send a message via AIM to snitzl3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
It's too funny. Depo only makes one housing for the P46. It is NOT a umnitza product, as much as they want you to think it is. Nothing is made by them. Of course the lite and premium have the same cutoff. It's the same bloody product.

Like I keep saying, they try to stuff these things down our throat and I was the only one to challenge and go on a crusade to fix this - and it seems to be working.
dont count me out , im part of the crusade, OEM or FX-R or bust
Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #103
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Agree with both of you; lighting is one place you shouldn't cheap out on. If you can't afford it, just stick to your halogens and save up until you can.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #104
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I've never seen a sponsor post pics of a P46 units output. Why is this the case if the output isn't that bad? Admittedly Daedalus's pics don't look as bad as others out there, but they're definitely a bit over exposed... the exposure may be hiding some flaws.
There are flaws in the cutoff. When I adjusted them vertically to the way i like, they don't line up perfectly when the light falls on the road (the overlap from the two bulbs). It's as if one of the cutoff lines is rotated just slightly, so it will always be off. If you sat in the car and looked at the cutoff you'd realize it wasn't OEM, and it is not as clean as snowcats retrofit.

HOWEVER, i'm fine with it since it's a big step up from me from halogens. I got more light than i need on the road. For those looking for a perfect product, i don't think it can be had with any projector46 setup out of the box. Some modding will be needed, but the unit is functional and safe to use on the road.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #105
danewilson77

My Ride: 2004 zhp
Nice writeup........VII's are drool.

Last edited by danewilson77; 09-09-2010 at 06:31 PM.
danewilson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #106
KamPow3r

My Ride: ....
I'm trying to install the p46 headlights onto my e46 M3 but the link on the post you provided unfortunately is not working

Online Guides I found most useful:
2) Umnitza's guide for Projector swap: http://www.umnitza.com/gallery/album49

Do you or anyone have another source I could use with instructions to install these headlights?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #107
Kairu6511

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
--------------------------------------
Section 1: Review/story
--------------------------------------

The purpose of this review is to help those interested in purchasing and installing P46s. Ever since I took ownership of a bmw, this was the one mod i HAD to do. Angel Eyes are [imo] the most distinctive lighting accessory available ... but of course ya'll know that

It was difficult to choose an online retailer; I felt most comfortable with Umnitza. My decision comes from a comparison of information provided on retailers' product webpages and general forum presence/support. Overall I'm satisfied with my choice.

P46 Configuration: 6000K Slim Ds2 OEM Xenon + Orion V2

Unboxing Photos can be found here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=687442

The recently celebrated July 4th holiday was the perfect 3day weekend for me to take my time and perform the installation. Warning: for anyone who isn't absolutely familiar with the headlight/AE installation procedure ... This job will EASILY take 8~10 hours. This is approximately the amount of time it took me to complete the job.

Why so long? Firstly, one must take their time and properly understand all the mechanisms behind the headlights ... such as how the assemblies are taken apart and put back together. You need understand the order of installation steps so things go smoothly. If you do a rush job its possible you can break trim pieces, lose bolts/fasteners and/or damage your car. Many people here will probably laugh at the time estimate, but if you havent touched anything under the hood... block off alot of time. Final reason is because, for me, all the connectors/parts felt like they were welded together. They required alot of force to separate, nothing came out/apart smoothly. Having gone through the whole process, I'm confident I could do it again in less than half the time [<4hrs]

Online Guides I found most useful:
1) FastM's Writeup for angel eye wiring: http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html
2) Umnitza's guide for Projector swap: http://www.umnitza.com/gallery/album49

Now lets cut to the chase .. Did it work? Yes and no. The Angel eyes worked as advertised....so sexy . I installed them to stay on whenever the car was, which also happened to be the easier wiring setup. Unfortunately, My xenon headlamps were plagued with a typical issue found on the forums: works fine when the engine is off but flicker and turn off when the engine is on [with bulb out errors]. I will explain how this happened and the solution:

Umnitza sent me the wrong ballasts. After working with them over email, I was told the ballasts I had were the more expensive, most durable ballasts available...but they lack the error-cancelling ability of the standard ballasts. At first I was very annoyed, but I decided to work with what I had to make things right.

Umnitza told me there were 2 solutions:
1) LCM reflash/Capacitor Method
2) Swap ballasts for the ones I was supposed to get.

With little desire to mess around with the setup, I opted for the reflash. This appeared to be the cleanest solution available, with proper integration with the car's computer [no fooling with capacitors or error-cancelling ballasts]. I'm sure many of you here will argue differently, but for me this was the best solution. I have never locked-on my high beams before, so losing this feature was of little consequence.

I just got my car back from the dealership and everything went smoothly, and of course my wallet got a bit lighter heh. It's called the stealership for a reason . Seriously though, my service advisor complimented me on the angel eyes, said it was a "hot look" and knew exactly what I wanted. Everything works as expected and I am one happy bimmer owner.

I will note that I was able to resolve this issue with Umnitza over email in under 12 hours. If I recall correctly, they responded on a Sunday night and by monday noon-time I knew my course of action. They gave me all the information I needed to make the decision that worked best for me. Not having a working pair of headlights can really screw with your plans, but I only had to stay off the streets for 2 nights... not thaaaat bad of an inconvenience.

Let me say this, the 6000k color is BAD@$$!! It's very white but with a hint of blue, and looks great. The LED's brightness cannot be ignored in any light, you will see these rings coming your way. Driving around for a few minutes yielded plenty of second looks!

Small criticism for Umnitza: You had different ballasts?? I think ballast options and procedures for fully functional P46's should be better described on the product page. Also, there is no location to designate desired temperate for xenons/AE's ... I had to put this information in shipping instructions. Everything went smoothly ... but still, these fixes shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I ordered projector46s from ummitza expecting a complete plug & play set up since I payed for them to pre-install everything. When I got them I was very excited and installed them as soon as I could spare a few hours. Little did I realize that they barely work for me. I couldn't afford the fancy Orion angel eyes so I opted for halogen till I could save up the money which was about the only difference in mine to yours.

However, umnitza failed to send me the wiring harness for the angel eyes and even still they don't work, and I have no idea why. My biggest issue however, since I've completely given up on trying to get the angel eyes to work, is that my high beams don't work because there is no plug for them.

I called umnitza numerous times to help me figure out the angel eyes. The last guy I talked to (I forget his name) was the most knowledgeable person I had encountered over there, told me that I would have to do some modification to my existing wiring to get them to work. So $700 later, I have headlights without angel eyes, and they don't even have working high beams. So my last resort is taking them to a shop and paying them to fix my problems.

I wanted to ask first before I did that though because I wanted to know if you had the same issue at all._nr_
Kairu6511 is offline   Reply With Quote