E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
MarckusSB

My Ride: E30/ E46
Lets talk about cutting fenders

I'm a little new to the fitment scene and I have encountered an issue.

I own an e46 coupe on coilovers. I'm running 18x8 et13 with 225/40/18 front and 18x9.5 et25 with 235/40/18 rear M Parallels and I'm having some serious rubbing issues.

The front have a decent roll and only rub during full lock or when hitting bumps during cornering. My real issue is the rear fenders though. I've rolled them and tried to remove/ move as much as that tar as I can, leaving the remainder as a flat, smooth edge. It just isn't enough.

I've heard of guys cutting the rear fenders but to be honest I'm not sure where they are cutting and how they are sealing them.

Which is in turn doing this

Can you guys enlighten me on this? Also, no, I'm not going to raise the car or change anything else on the setup. This should only be about discussing fender modification, not an attack on slammed cars.

Thanks!

Last edited by MarckusSB; 05-05-2013 at 10:49 AM.
MarckusSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
jkalro

My Ride: BMW 330ci
Are your fenders rolled? have you thought of adding camber to your wheels ? it might be a better option. This way the wheels will go inwards. Also, if you look up on some of videos on youtube they talk about switching your inner plastic liner to the one from M3 as it allows a lot more room on the inside for bumps etc.

jkalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 AW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
^He said his rears are rolled.

Adding a bit of camber in the rear might help, but if you want to cut your fenders, you're basically going to be removing the lip altogether. When I've seen this done, it's with an angle grinder. Keep in mind though that the inner fender and the quarter panel could separate when you do this though.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***

Last edited by VMRWheels; 05-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
lamsv

My Ride: 2001 325iT
Cutting and welding the fenders is not for the faint of heart. But, it is the best, long term solution.

Try adding some negative camber. Also, if you don't mind a bit more stretch, a 225/40-18 on back might give you the clearance you need as well.

lamsv:2001 325iT
lamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
...and it still sounds like you have an issue in the front. It's a bmw...you should want it to turn and handle bumps without the tires hitting. And after you cut pieces off your car so you can keep your wheels, what happens when you load up the trunk?

Be careful in the future about sacrificing function for aesthetics...that hot babe...the one that lives in a complex with a speed bump...you have to pass on her.

There are many, many threads here about tires/wheels that don't fit. It's not about the slamming you've done; it's that you got the wrong tires/wheels for what you've done. Please be careful. Freaks me out to see the car cutting up tires. You're not the first and won't be the last.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
lamsv

^ Sounds like he is freaked out about cutting tires too... and wants to know a solution. So, we suggested cutting/welding the fenders, more negative camber, or smaller rear tires.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
MarckusSB

I'm not cutting the tires thankfully, or I wouldn't be driving it. It's more of a rub that over a long trip that gets the tire hot and it starts to melt.

I could add a little camber, but this is my daily so I'd like to preserve tires for as long as possible. (No more sliding either!)

These tires are new so replacing them unfortunately isn't within my budget or else I would have put 215/40's up front.

I'm not necessarily scared about cutting the rear fenders, but more curious if a walk through or diy is available so I can get an idea about what my shop would really be doing.

And for the record, I have 7 (seven!) speed bumps to get in and out of my apartment complex and I scape the undercarriage before the tires hit the fenders, so I'm guessing I chose we'll on my coil overs.

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
fth001

My Ride: 325i, e36m3, s13
Camber and keep rolling the fenders. If you keep going over the fenders with your roller, they will slowly but surely start to flare out. This will only work if you need just a few mm's, if you need a lot more room then you are basically screwed. You got few good suggestions but seem to have more reasons why you can't apply them?? C'mon man
fth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
lamsv

Also... yes, camber will eventually eat your tires... but toe out of alignment is what REALLY eats tires. A degree of negative camber probably won't eat your tires that much faster, and might give you the clearance you need.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 AW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
I wouldn't be super concerned with the negative camber. Just make sure the toe is within spec. If your tires are directional and symmetrical, flip them often.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
MarckusSB

Very true. Thanks guys! I'll put a few degrees of negative camber and see how that goes.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
I have a wagon, so not sure how different the rear fenders are, but I took a grinder to the inside of the rear fender to fit my 8.5 26et (effective) wheels . I basically took out all of the plastic and trimmed all of the parts out that were rubbing. I ground down the infamous stud and masked off a few mm to have a guide how much I wanted to trim. Then, I just started grinding..slowely...making sure not to heat it up too much. After I trimmed my intended amount, I sanded, applied some touchup paint, reinstalled the plastic and checked for rubbing. To me, it was much less invasive than rolling, but I didn't have to trim that much (like 5mm). The most dangerous part was the passenger side where the gas filler tube it. Sparks fly EVERYWHERE...So be smart...cover it well.

Probably some grinding and added camber and you will be there in the rear. =)
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
KILL3RD1SAST3R

My Ride: Leah
Lets talk about cutting fenders

OP, I'm currently rockin M-Pars from an e38 like you. 18x8 et13 and 18x9.5 et25. But I have Falken fk452s, 215/35/18 up front and 215/40/18 in the rear, slightly smaller tire than you. My fenders are rolled all the way (no cutting) and I'm lowering on BC Racing coilovers and I don't have too much trouble with rubbing like you do. You might wanna try getting a smaller tire for your rears!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
KILL3RD1SAST3R is offline   Reply With Quote