E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
sogood

My Ride: 95 S/C M3, 01 M3
E46 M3 Complete Rear End Overhaul

edit

Last edited by sogood; 08-10-2013 at 01:19 PM.
sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
sogood

My Ride: 95 S/C M3, 01 M3
bump

sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
PITT M3 RR

My Ride: E46 M3
Im using AKG everything in the rear and I love it. I dont have the mason bar, but I made my own so I have pretty much what you're going to end up with.

As far as being in there, While the Rear trailing arms are out, you can dig out the ebrakes from the hub preventatively as its almost a sure thing that theyre stuck in there. Other than that it sounds like you have it covered. Change diff fluid while its out with the output shaft seals and also you can get the ECS halfshaft boot kits and rebuild/pack the halfshafts. Thats a pretty easy job.

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM
PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
consider doing some drive shaft / csb maintenance too.

reinforce your subframe. reinforce your rtabs.

AKG makes good poly bushings in different harnesses.

If you're serious about tracking many times a year for a few years then go with semi solid/derlin/plastic/whateveryouwanttocall it. After a few years of properly hard use any poly bushings will be on their way out again. I wouldn't go with metal bushings/mounts unless its a racecar.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
I am quite interested in buying a mason bar too. Would you mind taking a picture of the part that mounts to the shock tower? I might have some weird fitment issues with my car if the bar is too high.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
sogoos

My Ride: 95 M3, 01 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
I am quite interested in buying a mason bar too. Would you mind taking a picture of the part that mounts to the shock tower? I might have some weird fitment issues with my car if the bar is too high.
Sure, I'll try to post some pictures today on lunch. (I work at a shop)

Thanks for the input guys, definitely going to look into AKG - seems like everyone has nothing but good things to say about them.

PITT M3 RR - you have any more pictures of your rear bar?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
PITT M3 RR

My Ride: E46 M3
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965897

Its all in there, pretty elementary stuff once its all straight.

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM
PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim

I feel for ya, bud. I too recently had the Sub-frame fail in mine. I had it repaired, reinforced with the TMS kit, and then had a brace built in the back, taking ideas from PITT and another guy. A long with that massive amount of work, I had the diff, sub frame bushing and RTABs done while it was in the shop.

Here's my thread, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965528
Eisenheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
here's the other design I took from. Notice how the brace is in constant contact with the car. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=909256
Eisenheim is online now   Reply With Quote