E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #341
ocellatus

My Ride: 325i 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDaly28 View Post
The wifi is not built in - you need a USB Wifi stick. It should have come with the package, but it's probably cheaper and faster to just go get a $10 wifi usb adapter at Walmart.
So a generic wifi usb would work! Thanks, thats a relief because no Dynavin distributor is at my reach here.
I read somewhere Jeff stating he includes this thing into his packages, so I figured it is not included in all packages. Mine was ordered from Europe.

BTW, it is kind of strange that a pricey and sophisticated android system does not have it built-in or at least externally included in all packages.

Last edited by ocellatus; 05-05-2013 at 02:17 AM.
ocellatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #342
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellatus View Post
So a generic wifi usb would work! Thanks, thats a relief because no Dynavin distributor is at my reach here.
I read somewhere Jeff stating he includes this thing into his packages, so I figured it is not included in all packages. Mine was ordered from Europe.
Yup, mine was from Jeff. At the end of the day the Dynavin did not work out for me, but Jeff easily had the most complete package and best possible support from start to finish. If you had ordered from him the wifi dongle would have been in there. It's worth the extra $$ sometimes for the service.

That said, another wifi dongle should do the job. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #343
ocellatus

Quote:
Yup, mine was from Jeff. At the end of the day the Dynavin did not work out for me, but Jeff easily had the most complete package and best possible support from start to finish. If you had ordered from him the wifi dongle would have been in there. It's worth the extra $$ sometimes for the service.

That said, another wifi dongle should do the job. Good luck.
Yeah, I would definitely order from Jeff but I couldn't. Not many choices where I live, If any. Even this package was ordered 3 months ago and after a very time consuming, frustrating and costly process I could finally get my hands on it.

I hope the installation goes well.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #344
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellatus View Post
Yeah, I would definitely order from Jeff but I couldn't. Not many choices where I live, If any. Even this package was ordered 3 months ago and after a very time consuming, frustrating and costly process I could finally get my hands on it.

I hope the installation goes well.
You know what, truthfully I just was answering your question and I did not notice your locale. Of course that will make things more difficult. Hopefully there is a local source for the parts you need. Godspeed.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #345
ocellatus

Quote:
You know what, truthfully I just was answering your question and I did not notice your locale. Of course that will make things more difficult. Hopefully there is a local source for the parts you need. Godspeed.
Thanks for your help.
I will also look for flush mount USB and AUX plugs. That would be nice to have them under my newly installed armrest.

Last edited by ocellatus; 05-06-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #346
2002330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Send a message via AIM to 2002330i
Dynavin info: D99 PLUS (D99+)......Fall 2012

Waiting anxiously for my unit to come. Come come baby!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #347
Elvis530i

My Ride: 2002 530i
Not all wifi dongles will work. I tried a couple of newer, faster ones, but the one that came with the unit was the only one that would work. There is some protocol the unit needs to communicate with it. I would guess the drivers it has aren't compatible with newer dongles.
Elvis530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #348
ocellatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis530i View Post
Not all wifi dongles will work. I tried a couple of newer, faster ones, but the one that came with the unit was the only one that would work. There is some protocol the unit needs to communicate with it. I would guess the drivers it has aren't compatible with newer dongles.
This is exactly what I was thinking about today. I went to some local electronics stores looking for wifi dongles and realized the dongles have a disk or something to install specific drivers in order to get them work. I guessed these drivers are most likely not going to be installed on android dynavin so I gave up till I find more info. I have emailed dynavin to see if they have a list of compatible dongles. I hope they don't throw at me a name of only one specific dongle!

Last edited by ocellatus; 05-06-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #349
Elvis530i

Here is a list of compatible dongles:

http://dynavin.uncompiled.org/upgrades

I believe the first one on the list is what came with mine. I tried a more recent Edimax wireless-n/300mbps dongle and it didn't work.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #350
ocellatus

Quote:
Here is a list of compatible dongles:

http://dynavin.uncompiled.org/upgrades

I believe the first one on the list is what came with mine. I tried a more recent Edimax wireless-n/300mbps dongle and it didn't work.
Thank you very much, it was very helpful.
Fortunately I could find those D-link and Edimax models in website of some local suppliers.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #351
TheStyleguy

My Ride: 2002 ///M3 'vert
Another very happy customer of Jeff's. Installed my d99+, hvac relocation, flush usb and aux, and iPod in the glove box in about 3 hours. Very straight forward. Watched the YouTube videos for the initial walk-through. Had some questions for Jeff and they were answered nice and quick.
A word on the gps antenna location. I initially had it up and to the left of the unit, as some have recommended, only to not get enough signal to lock sats. Moved it to the metal bar directly under the vents and above the unit itself and got excellent signal.
I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for an upgrade.
TheStyleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #352
Elvis530i

Well, after a couple of weeks of dicking around with my Android D99+, here are my impressions:

-Don't get the Android version unless you have a lot of patience with electronics.

-The GPS antenna location is critical. I could not get a reliable signal behind the dash or around the windshield. I got an instant signal with the antenna on the outside of the car, but that wasn't practical. Under the hood near the cabin filter housing also worked, but I could not figure out an easy way to get through the firewall. I finally ran it back under the center console and mounted it behind my sliding tray. It still takes a couple of minutes to get a fix, but I can deal with that.

-Even if you can regularly tether your phone to other stuff, don't assume you can tether your Dynavin. I could not get an internet connection through my HTC One X no matter what I tried. It saw it and would connect, but never got a data connection. I finally got a portable hotspot from AT&T and it connected immediately. I ran a powered USB cable into the glovebox and keep it in there.

-If you get a backup camera, take the time to research exactly how to connect everything. It's not that hard once you know what goes where, but you have to know which wires to tap into.

Now that I've got everything working correctly, I love it, but man was it a hassle to get here.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #353
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
I recommend you put the GPS antenna on TOP and center of the dash at the base of the windshield, you can tuck the wire in the gap between the windshield and the dash, run it around the side and under the dash. Works every time Ive ever seen unless you have the "comfort windscreen" option, but Ive only seen that in Australia.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #354
Elvis530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
I recommend you put the GPS antenna on TOP and center of the dash at the base of the windshield, you can tuck the wire in the gap between the windshield and the dash, run it around the side and under the dash. Works every time Ive ever seen unless you have the "comfort windscreen" option, but Ive only seen that in Australia.
Tried it, did not work. I've got an aftermarket windshield with some kind of coating that I suspect is the problem (it's not a BMW comfort windshield but it's got the same blue tint). Anywhere behind the windshield was useless, as soon as I moved it outside the car, it got a signal.

Last edited by Elvis530i; 05-08-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #355
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
yeah, its your windshield, the stock US spec E46 windows dont have this.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-08-2013 at 05:58 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #356
davemark

My Ride: E46 325 M Sport Coup
Hi i have read though quite a bit of this thread but was wondering if someone could answer if this unit can support spotify ? either a app via the android store or via my iPhone (using the spotify app)

Regards

DaveMark
davemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #357
Elvis530i

I have not tried it--I let my sub lapse because I wasn't using it--but I don't see any reason the Android unit would not support it. Pandora works just fine.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #358
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemark View Post
Hi i have read though quite a bit of this thread but was wondering if someone could answer if this unit can support spotify ? either a app via the android store or via my iPhone (using the spotify app)

Regards

DaveMark
Yes on both counts. My preferred way is streaming it from the phone, either wired or Bluetooth. All steering controls work that way. Doing as an android app works too, but you don't have steering wheel controls and you have to get android connected to the phone via wifi which can be problematic.
jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #359
wademcgee

My Ride: 2003 BMW E46 M3
Jeff, thanks a million. I can not say enough good things about this vendor and this unit. Installed flawlessly in my 2003 E46 M3. Took all of 1.5 hours, most of which was running cable. I did want to throw out a couple of quick notes, just for info purposes. I had previously installed a BSW sub solution, which came with a line level converter to send the sub signal to the amp. When I put the Dynavin unit in I went ahead and ran the sub outs to the same exact setup. At this point I had two sets of sub connections. I have to say that tapping into the stock systems wires with the line level converter is MUCH louder and deeper for some reason. I know it is all about voltage, but to run the sub outs on the Dynavin I have to turn the gain to max to get to 75% of what the line level lines accomplish. Point being, anyone doing this ugrade may want to temporarily run the rcas and test before going through the trouble. Just my .02. There are a few other things that are taking some getting used to but overall this unit rocks, is 100% plug and play and the Nav works much better than the $2K system I had put in my Toyota 4-runner!!!
wademcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #360
matt0

My Ride: 318i e46
Quote:
Well, after a couple of weeks of dicking around with my Android D99+, here are my impressions:

-Don't get the Android version unless you have a lot of patience with electronics.
Could you please be more specific on this point.

I'm trying to decide between the Android and Windows OS, straight up I would rather have the Android but people are saying there's is **** etc but I don't know if that's just a hand full of users and most are fine etc. I would love to have Android and the App Store that comes with it for so many things.

Could people with working android units please post also as I haven't seen many, or if they're aren't working what issues you had?
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d99, d99+, dynavin, gps, navigation