E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
NateFaris

My Ride: 2003 ZHP
Anyone run into this with ECS Strut Bar?

I have been working on installing this today and have run into a snag.

I recently had the local BMW dealer do the repairs for some seriously mushroomed shock towers. They then performed an alignment to minimize negative camber as the mushroomed towers had led to the inside edge of the front tires wearing very quickly. Now I obviously don't want to screw up that alignment, but I don't see any other way to make these plates fit as they are.

The last picture shows the nick where the inner lip of the plate is contacting the lip on the strut tower. I'm thinking I'll try to drill out the bolt holes a bit larger and see if that fixes it since ECS offered the awesome help of "lay it flat and torque it down."

And before anyone says it, yes, I should have gone with a used OEM bar._a_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Bar 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	504774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Bar 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	504775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Bar 3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	504776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Bar 4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	504777  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Bar 5.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	504778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Bar 6.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	504779  
NateFaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Yes, it's not a good idea to mess with the alignment.
I think there are two available options:
1. Send back the bar.
2. Modify the bar plates to fit the strut bolts. You can extend one of the holes in this plate using a round file or a drill bit as you intend. Ghetto fit, but will work. This bar is not expensive, so no great harm done.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 05-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
By removing the nuts, you already screwed up the alignment. Now your toe will also be off. Need an alignment anyway now (unless you marked the location before you removed the nuts.)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
By removing the nuts, you already screwed up the alignment. Now your toe will also be off. Need an alignment anyway now (unless you marked the location before you removed the nuts.)
do the bolts move if you don't drive or move the car.

just loosening or removing the nuts shouldn't throw the alignment off if the bolts don't move....right?

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
I saw someone remove them once and the strut under tension sprung outwards. its the natural tendency of the strut. Unless OP took pics or made markings before and after i wouldn't be sure. the slightest movement will throw off the alignment.

as you can see, OP's strut is pushed all the way out. was it like that before??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
NateFaris

My Ride: 2003 ZHP
Yes, I took pictures of the nut locations before I loosened anything just in case they were to slip for some reason. They were set all the way out like that when the alignment was done and I'm not about to try to pry them in just to make this bar fit. The plates are aluminum so I'm going to try to elongate the holes with a round file.
NateFaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
CharlzO
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Ran into this today putting mine on. Did some more investigating on mine, and found that because of some of the worn pieces, the previous owner must've gone to an alignment shop that just popped the rear mount over a notch instead of fixing everything else first. Since I'm going in for an alignment early next week, and since everything is going to get replaced this weekend beforehand, I pried it back into position and bolted the bar on. If it's still not close enough to be aligned properly when we go do it, then I'll probably do as the OP and stretch the holes a little to fit it. But with the way my car was, I'm betting that when all is buttoned up, It'll align pretty darn close where it's at. We'll see.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote