E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Keaton1

My Ride: 2001 330 CIC
Meyle HD CAB vs Lemforder

For several months now, have been trying to resolve a periodic vibration that seemed to be coming from the front (felt like primarily front left side) of my 2001 330 CIC at all speed from 30 mph or so and up.

I had redone most of my front suspension and some of the rear, installing the following new items: Meyle HD front control arms with new ball joints and bushings, struts, strut mounts, shocks, shock mounts, bump stops, sway bar links, and front and rear reinforcement plates. My tie rod ball joints were fine, so didn't install the new tie rods I'd purchased, hub bearings seem good, are smooth with no noise or wiggle, steering coupler looked in good shape when friend turned back & forth. Went through two alignments and two tire rebalances, one each at dealer, and BMW specific independent shop.

Would still get a periodic vibration, or minor shudder. After looking through several posts here and at Bimmerfest, kept seeing several comments that folks also had vibrations with Meyle HD CAB's that were resolved when they switched back to OE BMW or Lemforder bushings (which are said to be OEM). So I finally replaced the CABs with a Lemforder set, and got one final alignment.

Voila! A smooth ride, with no vibration or shudder. So just my 2 cents worth and experience. While I like Meyle products in general, I would recommend folks go with OE or Lemforder CAB's over the Meyle HD ones.

Last edited by Keaton1; 05-10-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Keaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I have had Meyle HD cabs for years now. No vibrations. Perhaps the Lemforder's compliance is masking another problem

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-10-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
bmw8427
Banned User

My Ride: 330ci
I've heard of people that had trouble with the meyle strut mounts before but never the cab's. I just replaced my car's original control arms and bushings with zhp arms and the meyle hd bushings and that's a GOOD combination.
bmw8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Where did you buy the zhp specific arms?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
MixFlame

My Ride: 2004 330i
i also had issues with my meyle fcabs so far. think it might be a ride height issue in my case though

Sponsored by: Meguiars | Rotiform | AUTOcouture Motoring | Broadway Static
Instagram: @mystic330i
MixFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Keaton1

My Ride: 2001 330 CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I have had Meyle HD cabs for years now. No vibrations. Perhaps the Lemforder's compliance is masking another problem
I kinda wondered about that, too, but was running out of things to try, what with all the other new items I'd already done. Only thing I really still wanted to do is replace the RTAB's but since the car is finally smooth, may hold off on that for a little while.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Alot of the stuff I've replaced was based off your's and other forum member's recommendations in previous posts.
Keaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
bmw8427
Banned User

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Where did you buy the zhp specific arms?
I got them as part of a kit from fcpeuro.com
bmw8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton1 View Post
I kinda wondered about that, too, but was running out of things to try, what with all the other new items I'd already done. Only thing I really still wanted to do is replace the RTAB's but since the car is finally smooth, may hold off on that for a little while.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Alot of the stuff I've replaced was based off your's and other forum member's recommendations in previous posts.
a good tip is to never assume that all balancing jobs are created equal. try a different place. some machines and techs suck and aren't calibrated.

any time

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote