E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
buddyz

My Ride: 2003 M3
Dead FM tuner?

2003 M3 with HK/nav. Suddenly lost FM reception about a month ago. Just static. AM works, Ipod works (converted indash CD). Tried replacing antenna, antenna amplifier with no luck. Is it the BM53 radio unit? Options to repair/replace?
buddyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
uzz32soarer

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Hi from Australia guys,

I have a 2002 E46 M3 coupe and it has no FM radio working. AM seems to be fine, CD stacker works fine, TV works fine. The car has a BMW Business BM 53 unit fitted with Harman Kardon system, TV but no NAV.

When you go to FM on the head unit, you can seek and it will find nothing on FM. Seek on AM and it finds a few stations, not all, but okay. Put the FM station in manually (ie: 91.5) and this can be locked into memory, but no sound at all.

I have removed the C pillar cover and checked connections to the antennae module and nothing appears to be wrong there. I also removed the BM 53 and checked connections there also, but nothing obvious.

The previous owner removed the CD changer and fitted an I Pod control wire which plugged in where the CD stacker is and says that the FM stopped working about two months after he did this.

My car is also fitted with the BM53 unit but unlike the poster above, my car has no Nav.

Any clues? Antennae or radio unit dead?
uzz32soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
It is a dead unit. Not sure if you could open it up and reflow some of the solder joints or whether it is a failed part... I just sold my radio to a guy who had the same exact issue and tried everything to fix it. He ended up installing my used radio. They are easy to replace.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
uzz32soarer

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Thanks Rick,

Do you think any BM53 would work in the car or does it have to be specific as I have TV but no NAV system?
uzz32soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I would ask anyone that you think has the part to show you a picture of where the plugs plug into the back to make sure you can match it up correctly. That is what I did with my buyer. He wanted to make sure it would fit before he drove out to my house. To make sure... I would take your completely out, snap a picture and use it for comparison.