E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #41
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver1117 View Post
Good job op! Btw, erick do you have a build thread? Im trying to do this with 8's too and an infinite baffle. Any suggestions guys? Thanks
Have you bought the 8" drivers yet? If so, which ones?
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #42
nicco1117

My Ride: black beauty
Send a message via Yahoo to nicco1117
right now i have 2 kenwood 10's and it's eating up alot of trunk space. im waiting for funds so that i can purchase 2 8" excelon's or RE's. my main concern is how the parcel shelf will look after i do this. and how big should i cut on the rear shelf(metal part)
Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #43
zYx

My Ride: 2003 325CiA
Here is a link to a similar 8" IB install, you can take a look on approximate space you will need for drivers: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1033587

and another one: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...q-install.html

Last edited by zYx; 11-29-2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: added second link
zYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #44
nicco1117

My Ride: black beauty
Send a message via Yahoo to nicco1117
thanks man!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
super98lsc

My Ride: 330i zhp
I think my next plan is going to be to leverage something similar to the rear deck mod that properly encloses my Focal K2 Power 6.5"s for the rear midbass. Currently the Focal's are sitting in the boxes and I am still running the Factory HK 6. whatevers, with the crappy near zero space around them they barely play down to 120. A good 6.5 should be efficient down to 70-80 with solid kick/drive in the bass range allowing my 12" to blend in more smoothly. I did cut the front doors out and have the 5.25 Focal playing nice down to 63hz/18db Q factor on the x-over. One regret i have is not taking the time to mount the 6.5" in the front doors. I just miss the solid midbass the larger seperates can deliver. This car is the most non audio friendly car I have ever possessed when it comes to speaker mounting. Has anyone done a pair of 6.5's boxed in the deck and used a regular trunk sub?
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #46
Erick Sermon

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Yeah I'm using the JL audio stealthboxes with the 8IB4s. I just used a passive loc and a really old (circa 90s) Orion XTR250 to drive them with stock deck and fronts. My crossover points and front stage don't work well. And the subs seem to pump with certain Songs and horrible with others. I think a proper front stage will help me lower the cutoff on the subs.
Erick Sermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #47
super98lsc

My Ride: 330i zhp
If I look back through all the phases with this car, the first and best improvement I made was installing my Apline head unit. With factory HK speakers/subs it sounded light years cleaner than the factory Business CD player which has some aweful EQ curves built into it.. The Imprint or Time correction is paramount to getting decent imaging. That thing has some aweful EQ curves built into it. The second largest improvement was adding the Focal 5.25 K2 Powers to the front, I use the passive x-overs that came with them tied and disconnected the midranges in the door (sedan). The FOCAL tweeters are great, not bright but clear vs the 2 cent HK's that were in there. The next largest improvement (wish i had done this from day 1 but didnt want to kill my warranty on the car) was cutout the doors behind the 5.25's and seal them in properly. The change in sound depth was akin to adding a supercharger to the engine, major difference in response/warmth from 300hz on down to 63hz. Then I finally bit the bullet and gutted out the car and changed all the amps, removed the factory HK's and installed a JLw3 12" in a sealed box. I lived with that for a few years, but could never get a clean blend from sub to mids. Finally changed the sub enclosure to a purpose built ported enclosure with Apline 12" and a JL G1700 driving it. Now the sub blends 1000x better, but still wish I had some larger mid bass drivers in the rear deck.
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #48
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
I've got two 12" JLW3's in sealed spare wheel enclosure facing up (not optimal but gives me my trunk space). Any thoughts on best way to port into cabin. I have an amp rack covering the seat back and crossover rack covering the rear deck access. I have rear armrest and punched out the back to the amp rack, but amp rack blocks most sound coming through. Thinking about ports through the amp rack somewhere but not sure.

THoughts?

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #49
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
To answer someone else's question unless others are wondering the same thing- the Image Dynamics ID8 hits incredibly hard for an 8. Based on reviews of the original IB4s, I don't think it's even close. I only have one of them mounted IB in my car and it is plenty. Seems to dip into the high 20s with ease as well.

That said, it doesn't sound quite as good as a really, really good 12 like a Peerless XXLS or an IDMax 12, but it does sound better than the Polk MM1240 and Alpine Type R 12" that I used to have.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #50
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Getting some trunk space back (new system rebuild)

Figured I'd throw this in here, considering this was the inspiration for my work. Ended up going with 2 12s instead of one. Codyfunk, thanks for the tips, they helped me out a lot!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app