E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Koalty HID Vs DDM Apexcone

Hey guys, whats the difference, Apexcone is a few bucks cheaper, this will be going on my 86 635CSI.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=632367
http://www.ddmtuning.com/ap55wwesa.html

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
soh5241

My Ride: needs a detail...
i have the DDM Apexcone HID's and they are bright, i light up everything when i drive at night..
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
they are the same!!! i believe they go threw the same providers
Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
bcs325ci

My Ride: Part out
Koalty sells the ddm apexcone HID's however they are the slim ballasts which are more convieniant IMO
bcs325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
They're the same. Khoa and DDM work together on many of their products.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs325ci View Post
Koalty sells the ddm apexcone HID's however they are the slim ballasts which are more convieniant IMO
slim ballasts SUCK btw, they have some of the highest return rates.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
they are exactly the same. khoalty just resells ddm's stuff

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
iftwb

My Ride: E46 320i + E60 530i
Send a message via MSN to iftwb
I kind of wish I didn't buy slim ballasts. The chunky ones are neater, more simpler. With slims, you gotta tape two separate ballast and ignition to certain areas for them to hold up.
iftwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
KHOALTY, Inc.
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to KHOALTY, Inc.
The slim ballast has a less than 1% failure rate. We sell more than 10,000 kits a month so if you see a warranty box full of ballast that failed, you will know why. With the full size ballast people don't usually buy bc of the size. Both are great kits, its just what type of money do you want to pay. I have the slim kit in another car that is not BMW, and it hasn't failed on me for 5 years, unfortunately I can't say the same on the full size ballast which failed on me once for my fog lights but now it is stable for the past 3 years.

Since it comes with warranty, you are set. Electronics are prone to fail no matter what, they can't last forever. If it fails, just warranty it out for a new one.
KHOALTY, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
sillieidiot

the older full size ballast was the good one. the newer looking one is not fully digital as well. digital ones suck. they are unstable during initial startup and down even put out the claimed output power. i've had problem with both the new big ballast and the slims.

bring back the old hella gen 3 replica ballasts

Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
Slick-Vic

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Tiag
I purchased a set of ddm slims 55w a while back they work fine, however installing this I lost my high beams? When I pull the lever back my high beams flash but when I push the lever forward for high beams to be constant I get nothing. My high beams are oem H7's am I missing a wiring harness or something? I never really cared about this in the past but will not pass inspection now that they have caught on. Any advice would be great thanks guys

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Slick-Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick-Vic View Post
I purchased a set of ddm slims 55w a while back they work fine, however installing this I lost my high beams? When I pull the lever back my high beams flash but when I push the lever forward for high beams to be constant I get nothing. My high beams are oem H7's am I missing a wiring harness or something? I never really cared about this in the past but will not pass inspection now that they have caught on. Any advice would be great thanks guys
i'm assuming you reprogrammed your car? just find someone that knows how to use NCS and have them code your car to enable the highs again. otherwise, you just have to do the bixenon retrofit, but instead of using that to activate the solenoid, you use it to activate the inner highs. either way will work.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Slick-Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
i'm assuming you reprogrammed your car? just find someone that knows how to use NCS and have them code your car to enable the highs again. otherwise, you just have to do the bixenon retrofit, but instead of using that to activate the solenoid, you use it to activate the inner highs. either way will work.

Thanks Sillie for responding. I never reprogrammed my car, I am second owner so it is possible something has been done before me. High beams are never on as I've seen some that are on acting as day time lights.

I'll research what u said about the NCS, or bixenon retrofit. Is this to technical for the average joe? Or should I say is they a special tool u will need to activate the high beams?

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Slick-Vic

Pluged in the wire adaptor that went into the oem ballast into the ddm slim

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Do I need a splitter or something or a reprogramming

Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
sillieidiot

for NCS, you need the software and cable. then need to learn it. i would just look for a fanatic in your area that already knows how to do it. the bixenon retro, the average joe can do. it just takes awhile.

but it sounds like you had OEM bixenons in the first place from your last post?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Slick-Vic

Quote:
for NCS, you need the software and cable. then need to learn it. i would just look for a fanatic in your area that already knows how to do it. the bixenon retro, the average joe can do. it just takes awhile.

but it sounds like you had OEM bixenons in the first place from your last post?
Yes, original oem bixenons that's why I don't understand what I'm missing or doing wrong. Seems like no one else has this issue. Should the ddm slims be a plug and play with no high beam conversion needed?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
sillieidiot

well the problem is that, with OEM bixenons, the power for the highs go through the OEM ballast and then activates the shutter. because you bypassed that, there's no connection anymore. you can go ahead and rewire it to work if you want. the aftermarket are just plug n play for the lows only.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Slick-Vic

Quote:
well the problem is that, with OEM bixenons, the power for the highs go through the OEM ballast and then activates the shutter. because you bypassed that, there's no connection anymore. you can go ahead and rewire it to work if you want. the aftermarket are just plug n play for the lows only.
Do you have any write ups for rewiring the highs? Or is there any wiring kits for this offered? What would you recommend for the quickest easy fix? Thanks for your input!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Slick-Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick-Vic View Post
Do you have any write ups for rewiring the highs? Or is there any wiring kits for this offered? What would you recommend for the quickest easy fix? Thanks for your input!
Anyone have anything to show me how I could retire my high beams? Write up or video.