E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Slate article authored by loser who hates gym class

Dodgeball Should Not Be Part of Any Curriculum, Ever
Making kids play team sports in PE is neither healthy nor educational.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...am_sports.html

Quote:

As a kid, I wanted desperately to be good at sports. This was not because I enjoyed playing them. I did not. It was because I’d learned that physical education classes were key to my social survival. I knew my failure to make a basketball hit the backboard would have ramifications throughout the school year. In anticipation, as each summer waned, I’d do drills in my backyard. I’d practice dribbling balls, swinging rackets, serving volleyballs over a tree branch.

Once each school year started, it would take less than a week to re-establish my utter failure in sports and my place as an object of ridicule to my peers.

Every PE unit was a means for me to prove just how useless and uncooperative my body was. The cycle began with cautious optimism—maybe I’ll hit/kick/serve it this time!— followed shortly by a missed kick or fumbled serve that showed the class and teacher that I was terrible at everything. The culmination of each class was the annihilation of my self-confidence.

Every new sport was a fresh hell. I spent the majority of the time either on the sidelines or waiting to be picked for a team by one of the popular kids, the ones who already knew how to swing a bat and give unselfconscious high-fives. I ended up in the outfield with the boy who picked his nose.

I spent most classes trying to disappear. I had the tricks down: move as subtly as possible away from the ball; attempt a bathroom break when your team is called to the infield; when all else fails develop allergies or limp (this one rarely paid off).

After this ordeal, I’d shuffle through the rest of the school day deflated, sure that the students who’d watched me flounder at kickball now expected me to fail at life. Long division? Who, me? You must be mistaken; I can’t even catch. With the weeklong exception of archery in high school (my singular time to shine), this agony went on for 12 years.

Calling the class “physical education” was some sort of sick joke. The lesson I was learning about my physical body was that it was useless, inferior, and quite possibly infected with a cootie-like virus. We should have been learning about how complicated and capable our bodies were and how to make them healthier. Instead we were playing dodgeball.

Cheryl Richardson, the senior director of the National Association for Sport and Physical Education, the organization that produces national PE standards, says “dodgeball should not be part of any curriculum, ever.” But she admits it is difficult to know how many schools are adhering to the standards, which are not federally mandated. Richardson says NASPE advocates for a more balanced approach to physical education than that which many of us grew up with, one that teaches children good sportsmanship, builds on their motor skills, and helps them find a role in a group setting. But they do still advocate for competitive team sports.

The proponents of team sports in schools say it helps kids learn that they have a place in a team. In this, for me, sports were very effective. I learned early on that my place on a team was similar to that of the elderly antelope with a gimpy leg on a nature program. I was a good distraction, being mauled and eaten so the other, less obviously damaged could get away.

If I had not been subjected to such effective team-building exercises, maybe as an adult I would not be such a loner. Experiences in school can have a devastating effect into adulthood. A British study from Loughborough University showed that physical education in school can be so traumatic that it turns women away from physical fitness for the rest of their lives.

Needless to say, my physical fitness did not improve over the course of my school career. Instead, I developed a slouch and the impression that my perfectly normal body was disabled. A notion that, despite being in perfectly good shape, I held onto until I was 30.

As an adult, I certainly haven't played any of the varsity-style sports that I was expected to take quite seriously as a 10-year-old. For kids who do want to play sports, there are plenty of other opportunities. Most schools have programs outside of gym class for those who want to try their hand at team sports or work toward becoming a professional. Sports are certainly not so underappreciated in our culture that they need to be the standard by which we judge kids and teach them how to take care of their bodies.

To make matters worse, sports in a school setting are not even an effective way to get exercise. According to a 2006 investigation, high school students got an average of 16 minutes of actual exercise a in an hour of gym class. The notion that our school gymnasiums are the breeding ground for our nation’s professional athletes has kept physical education from actually educating children about their bodies or how to use them.

Some schools have changed their curricula to reflect a healthier, more inclusive view of physical education. Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative promotes healthy eating and a positive outlook to combat childhood obesity. However, many schools still teach that fitness has to be a competitive venture, which rewards those who are already comfortable in their bodies while making others flounder their way into adulthood needlessly diminished and damaged.

Due to budget constraints, some schools are doing away with physical education altogether. This would have looked like a miracle to me as a kid, but as an adult I can appreciate the value of physical fitness and how detrimental it is for children to remain focused and immobile all day.

Many states have passed bills to extend physical education time, adding 200 minutes a week. But according to a study from Cornell, 200 minutes translated to a measly eight-minute increase in active time. The study, based on an annual survey of high schoolers by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, showed that even students did not believe gym class was serving its purpose.

The solution seems pretty simple. Start teaching kids how to do the things they can do, better. Most kids can run and jump and skip. Let them. They don’t have to race or see who scores the most points. Teach them about what they can do rather than what they can’t. Show them their bodies can be a key to their future happiness, not an obstacle to it.
yeah, no.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
US military academy, Fortune 500, Federal Law enforcement hire those who lead team sports in the high school in college. They use it as one of their highest employment/acceptance criteria. This a$$hat is saying they are wrong?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Dodgeball was the sh*t, We're turning to a nation of pussies

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
so the chick was a loser in highschool... she blames it on the fact she kicks the ball like child with cerebral palsy...she is a damaged and broken individual well into her adult life and is so scorned that she feels compelled to write an article illustrating how much of a failure gym class made her...

Last edited by Sentaruu; 05-12-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
so the dude was a loser in highschool... he blames it on the fact he kicks the ball like child with cerebral palsy... he is a damaged and broken individual well into his adult life and is so scorned that he feels compelled to write an article illustrating how much of a failure gym class made him...

It's a chick.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
it's not her fault. something else is to blame for her shortcomings.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Sentaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
It's a chick.
didnt click the article to see the author. i fixed it.

i maintain my position

Last edited by Sentaruu; 05-12-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
didnt click the article to see the author.

i maintain my position

I agree with your position

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

I agree with your position

I agree with you saying she's a chick.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Sentaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post

I agree with you saying she's a chick.

i agree that we are all in agreement

Last edited by Sentaruu; 05-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Author in question...wood smash

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Act of God

She'd be dodging my balls, right across her nose!

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Japanrot_325i

My Ride: 03 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Agreed

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
This, we cant play dodgeball in school. Its so stupid.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
Quote:
Author in question...wood smash

+1, The author is a raccoon drawing?

Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Act of God

How did I not even notice the raccoon lol, she's even fully clothed!

Last edited by Act of God; 05-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7

blah

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS

Last edited by zuckuss00; 05-13-2013 at 01:18 PM.
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
yeah, no.
agree; however, ban for no cliffs notes for such a massive article.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
agree; however, ban for no cliffs notes for such a massive article.
Bolded before link plus thread title = cliffs