E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
ironhorsenl

My Ride: 2003 325xi
My lowered XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDee View Post
Loving the ride height! Keep us updated on the wear of the axle boots and other suspension related components. Can you describe the ride quality any better? Also where did you buy the coilovers from? I can't seem to find a site selling them. I'm planning on getting FK's for my car in a week or two.
Vmaxx is a uk company. I got the last set from the only us dealer. I wouldn't recommend them. They are kind of cheap. The car handles in turns better then stock. But obviously the ride quality is crap. They are on the softer side for coilovers. I'd personally prefer a stiffer ride quality to prevent bottoming out

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ironhorsenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Um...xi's come with them from the factory. They get stuck to the sheet metal.
Well that's interesting. I've clearly mixed information from both XI and the General forum with lots of "I" posters. I assumed tower mushroom issues were shared by all.

Perhaps the factory thought with the additional weight XI's have, reinforcing the struts was a good plan? Or maybe they thought these babies would be used off-road blasting through mud bogs?

Either way, this is a great addition to the thread I started years ago: "XI Facts, Fiction, Tips and What-nots". Will repost it to include this item. Glad no one ordered the rings! Thanks Kubica.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
bmwporschefan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Well that's interesting. I've clearly mixed information from both XI and the General forum with lots of "I" posters. I assumed tower mushroom issues were shared by all.

Perhaps the factory thought with the additional weight XI's have, reinforcing the struts was a good plan? Or maybe they thought these babies would be used off-road blasting through mud bogs?

Either way, this is a great addition to the thread I started years ago: "XI Facts, Fiction, Tips and What-nots". Will repost it to include this item. Glad no one ordered the rings! Thanks Kubica.
I came close to ordering those suckers. And come to think of it, I now remember when reinstalling the struts seeing two layers of sheet metal when I was installing the nuts and didn't think anything of it.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #24
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Went to vmaxx website and they show no product for the xi
Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
My lowered XI

Just to get back on topic; love the license plate phrase ironhorsenl!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
FcBarcelona

My Ride: 325ci
Re: My lowered XI

How many miles so far? How's the axles holding up?

Sent from my EVO using BimmerApp mobile app
FcBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #27
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post

I just found this out yesterday as well. My guess would be that it is part of the "rough road" package that came standard on XIs

Last edited by MiniXP; 05-08-2013 at 08:56 AM.
MiniXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #28
ironhorsenl

My lowered XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FcBarcelona View Post
How many miles so far? How's the axles holding up?

I put in new axles right before I lowered it. It's been around 20,000 miles and no issues so far. Eventually the boots will give out because the ridges rub on each other more with the extreme angle. What I did was unclamped the boot and slid it down the axle shaft and reclaimed it. This stretches out the boot so the ridges don't bind as much. Will make it last a bit longer.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
MiniXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsenl View Post
I put in new axles right before I lowered it. It's been around 20,000 miles and no issues so far. Eventually the boots will give out because the ridges rub on each other more with the extreme angle. What I did was unclamped the boot and slid it down the axle shaft and reclaimed it. This stretches out the boot so the ridges don't bind as much. Will make it last a bit longer.

Is there still a strong seal? From how you explained it, it sounds like you slid the boot further down to somewhere it was not designed to clamp. If this is the case you will most likely be leaking grease as there is a large amount of centrifugal force trying to force the grease out with the wheels spinning. This would make your axle fail much more quickly as you would be low on grease in the joint and it would make it easier for contamination to get in. Having the boot stretched out further than it was designed to be will also likely put more stress on it.

Given that you said you are already getting a vibration from your axle it sounds like they may be failing already.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #30
ironhorsenl

My lowered XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
Is there still a strong seal? From how you explained it, it sounds like you slid the boot further down to somewhere it was not designed to clamp. If this is the case you will most likely be leaking grease as there is a large amount of centrifugal force trying to force the grease out with the wheels spinning. This would make your axle fail much more quickly as you would be low on grease in the joint and it would make it easier for contamination to get in. Having the boot stretched out further than it was designed to be will also likely put more stress on it.

Given that you said you are already getting a vibration from your axle it sounds like they may be failing already.
It's kinda just how it is. I'm a full time mechanic. So if an axle starts to fail. It's no issue for me to just replace it. If your worried about all this stuff. Then don't lower it.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Looking good!

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
MiniXP

Quote:
It's kinda just how it is. I'm a full time mechanic. So if an axle starts to fail. It's no issue for me to just replace it. If your worried about all this stuff. Then don't lower it.

I already am lowered, not saying anything is wrong with that, although I just did have to replace both front axles...
Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #33
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Its okay to lower an xi but op took it too far. Now he cant even drive it on a highway
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #34
fat-marshmellow

My Ride: ///M3 SMG
^proof!

ex: 2002 TIAG 325xi (sold), 2007 suzuki gsxr (sold)
current: 2002 carbon black ///M SMG
halogen headlights? want hid projectors? on a budget? maybe i can help! go here!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=840919
fat-marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
FcBarcelona

My Ride: 325ci
Re: My lowered XI

I have my xi for trade or sale, I'm going to get a rwd BMW to avoid any issues. I don't want the problems to deal with, if they were to happen.

FcBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #36
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
My lowered XI

Quote:

I had to do this with my E30 325ix years ago. It was my mechanic's idea and it worked great. After that I didn't have to change a boot out for the rest of it's life. And it saw a lot of track time too!

Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #37
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
Its okay to lower an xi but op took it too far. Now he cant even drive it on a highway
When did he say he couldn't drive it on the highway?

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #38
jxs0402

My Ride: 03 330xi
i think your car looks awesome - not too low at all!
jxs0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #39
thurston512

My Ride: 2003 325XI Wagon
my touring has been lowered on Koni yellows and Dinan springs for over 2 years with no issues at all. If anything there is less stress on the axles when lowering an xi. Nice looking Xi btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	321388_10102773455978849_1982515436_n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	541574  

Koni Sports/Dinan Springs Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

Last edited by thurston512; 01-07-2014 at 08:47 AM.
thurston512 is offline   Reply With Quote