E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
bearvsbryan_

My Ride: 2005 M3
M3 won't start!

Hey guys, just looking to see if I could get some help with an issue I'm having. About 3 weeks ago my 05 M3 with just over 100k miles stalled out on me while driving home. Got it towed, figured out my fuel pump had failed so I ordered a new Walbro pump, replaced it and the car ran fine for about a week until it stalled out again. The car will start and idle just fine until I give it some gas and then it just sputters and dies. I then have to wait about an hour before it will start again. Figured it might be the relay or the fuel filter so I ordered both and replaced them last night to no avail. Car won't even turn over now. I've got a new pressure regulator which I haven't installed yet, but I'm not sure that's even the problem. If anybody could lead me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
bearvsbryan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
bearvsbryan_

Update: installed new pressure regulator and replaced fuse #54 and the car still won't start. Any final suggestions before I have the car towed to a shop would be awesome.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
awszach

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
hoping you get something before you have to take it to the money pit
awszach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
M3 won't start!

Check your battery. Try this it's free.

Did you replace the fuel filter?(only a few bucks and should have a new one in it after you paid big bucks for the fuel pump)

Take a fuse tester light (few bucks and can be useful in the future) and test All the fuses. It won't take long.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
M3 won't start!

Sorry just realized you already replaced the fuel filter. Any sings of something leading up to this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
bearvsbryan_

Posted a duplicate reply on accident, sorry

Last edited by bearvsbryan_; 05-11-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Duplicate reply
Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
bearvsbryan_

Checked the battery and it's fine. There were no signs or even a check engine light popping up. What bugs me is that before replacing all these parts the car would at least start and idle. Now it won't turn over at all.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Not sure if that's an OE FP, but you know, if it worked for a week, it might be the FP still.

There's also a Kalim fuse...20 amp in the fuse pack in e-box...that will cause cranking/no start.

Search 'cranking no start' using advanced/title search.

Ask in regional forum for someone with a code reader too...search for your codes in title search too if you get them.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 05-11-2013 at 07:59 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
bearvsbryan_

Checked the fuse you were talking about and it's not blown or anything so we can rule that out. It's not an OE FP so you might be right. I'll check the pump ASAP.