E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
kowalzekc

My Ride: 99 328i
Expansion tank

I will start off with saying I replaced my Thermostat and water pump a few weeks ago. I inspected my expansion tank and it looked in tip top shape well last night I discovered otherwise. I was driving home from work and looked down to discover my temp gauge was in the red....idiot light on! Pulled over and took a look. Didn't see anything so I let the car cool and only made it another 1/4 mile. Stopped got out, looked under the car and saw coolant running out . This afternoon I pulled the air intake and box to find a MASSIVE crack in the tank just below where I could see.

I will say getting the tank out wasn't difficult, just a little tricky. The hoses didn't want to pull off easy and when I pulled the tank, the bracket came with it. And yes I pulled the release clips. This is a fairly straight forward job that wasn't too challenging. I was able to do it without even getting the car off the ground.

Here is the tank:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	expansion tank fubar.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	473127  
kowalzekc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
sedanpowersc

My Ride: 330i 5 speed
Great post, will read again.

| BB Gen 3 Headers | Cosmos Racing V2 CAI | Muffler Delete | RE Underdrive Pulleys |
| 3.46 Diff | Tein S-Tech | Bilstein Sports | Hawk HPS | ASA AR1 | 35% Tint |
sedanpowersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
ECS sells cooling kits for out cars at a reasonable price. Buy the best kit you can afford, because inevitably, you'll either be fixing your car somewhere where you like, as in your friend's shop, or somewhere very inconvenient, like on the side of the freeway. BMW cooling systems fall apart at the 100,000 mile mark so budget, set the money aside and get prepared to spend.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
kowalzekc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
ECS sells cooling kits for out cars at a reasonable price. Buy the best kit you can afford, because inevitably, you'll either be fixing your car somewhere where you like, as in your friend's shop, or somewhere very inconvenient, like on the side of the freeway. BMW cooling systems fall apart at the 100,000 mile mark so budget, set the money aside and get prepared to spend.
I agree! I think I have replaced all but the radiator so I should be good for a good while now. FYI, for those of you who try this and can't get the tank out. Use a claw hammer and pry upward on the cap against the core support and it should pop right out. I know some might disagree that this will cause a break somewhere, but it worked for me.

2 other pointers:
1 just replace the cap or the rings, it's not worth the extra trip just because you wanted to save $10.
2 to get everything to seat easily and proper, use just a little KY lube on the male end or something to that affect and all the hoses will reconnect easy. Again, very unorthodox but hey I got it back together and started in 15 min.

Lastly, I would like to thank all who did DIY write ups as it made this a near fun job.

If any have questions on this job, feel free to ask or pm me.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
erice46

My Ride: 2002 325I
Hey im looking at buying my expansion tank and im seeing a meyle tank for 42.53 and a coolexpert tank for 66.16 what do you guys think?
erice46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Martin 03 325i

My Ride: 03 325I
I pieced out a kit from ECS since i had done the thermostat and i went ALL OEM..tank,sensor,cap,hoses.,dont cheap out
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
kowalzekc

Quote:
Originally Posted by erice46 View Post
Hey im looking at buying my expansion tank and im seeing a meyle tank for 42.53 and a coolexpert tank for 66.16 what do you guys think?
On this, I would go with a direct OEM replacement. I would not cheap out at all. Even though it isn't difficult to do, I would rather by once and cry once and not have to do it for another 80-100k
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
I don't need to open a new thread for this question: how much coolant would I need when I replace expnasion tank ONLY? I understand that I would need more than it comes out while draining before replacent, because I would loose some during bleeding procedure. So, either would do for me - how much did you drain before OR how much did you add after ET replacement (roughly)?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
kowalzekc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
I don't need to open a new thread for this question: how much coolant would I need when I replace expnasion tank ONLY? I understand that I would need more than it comes out while draining before replacent, because I would loose some during bleeding procedure. So, either would do for me - how much did you drain before OR how much did you add after ET replacement (roughly)?

Thanks!
I would say have at least 1 gallon at the ready. But more would be better. You will loose a lot from the hoses at well as the tank.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
daki_bmw

Thanks kowalzekc, I didn't imagine there would be that much spillage.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
kowalzekc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
Thanks kowalzekc, I didn't imagine there would be that much spillage.
There are a few hoses attached to the tank on the side and bottom. They are longer and one is fairly large. Plus just buying a gallon is cheaper than the quarts. Also remember if you are buying the BMW blue, you will have to cut it with water.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
daki_bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalzekc View Post
There are a few hoses attached to the tank on the side and bottom. They are longer and one is fairly large. Plus just buying a gallon is cheaper than the quarts. Also remember if you are buying the BMW blue, you will have to cut it with water.
Of course, 50/50 mix of BMW blue and distilled water. Actually I dont have much choice - my dealer has only 1.5 L (81 22 9 407 454) containers and it's bloody expensive @ 10 ($12.8), so that's around $13 for a just a tad more than 3 quarts (3 litres) of 50/50 mix.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
23dilbert

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323I (RHD)
Is there anyway I can repair the tank or it's better to buy a new one.
23dilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
kowalzekc

Just get a new one from the dealership. By once cry once. If you try and repair it chances are it will just crack in another spot sooner than later.

Last edited by kowalzekc; 05-13-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
stankins

My Ride: 325ci
Def go with oem expansion tank. I would follow up with a compression test. if you repair the tank and your head gasket was compromised it can push pressure back and find a new weak spot, radiator, hoses, etc. also non hardening rtv dabbed on inside of hoses will stop a steady drip when you reassemble.
stankins is offline   Reply With Quote