E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
robbiekhan

My Ride: 2003 318Ci Sport
Passenger side door central locking failed?

Hi folks,

Yesterday I noticed that the central locking on the passenger door of my 2003 Sport coupe has stopped working. I say stopped working but when I lock and unlock the car with the key I can hear the mechanism moving inside the door itself but the stud on the door sill won't go up or down so the handle won't open it from the outside. I can pull the lever on the inside to open it (one pull lifts the stud then the 2nd pull opens the door as per usual BMW behaviour).

Anyone got an idea where to start with this?

Cheers!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i

Replace the door lock actuator. You can find the part number of the actuator you need here www.bmwgm5.com/e46_actuator.htm

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
It could be the GM5/GMV module. www.bmwgm5.com

hi its me alec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
scottjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
It could be the GM5/GMV module. www.bmwgm5.com
From the symptoms the OP described and based on the body style of the car, it's most likely not the general module. It's most likely the actuator.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by scottjoh; 05-04-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I had a problem where I could open the door from the inside, but it wouldn't open from the outside. This thread fixed my problem:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=548111

Since the repair involves only a zip tie you may want to try this first.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
robbiekhan

Thanks guys.

I'll give the zip tie a go in a couple of weeks as my car is having bodywork repairs done shortly (painful mistake pulling out of the driveway and scraping the pas side skirt+trim and ripping the trim off!!) and if that doesn't sort it I'll give the actuator a look. I didn't think it was the GM5 as all other locks work fine, it's just the passenger door.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
robbiekhan

Actually, choxor, when you had the problem, it seems like in that thread your handle was not working so doe sthat mean when you used the fob that the locking stud on the door went up and down? Because on mine it isn't going up or down but pulling the handle makes it go up and down and thus being able to open the door.

Here's a video:

I've also got an update on the symptoms.

1: The passenger door stud on the inside of the car DOES go down with central locking, this locks the car.
2: The stud does not go back up with central locking so the door can only be opened from the inside pulling the handle twice. This indicates the locking mechanism and deadbolt is working so the fault is with the stud/that area.

Last edited by robbiekhan; 05-07-2013 at 02:26 PM.
robbiekhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
robbiekhan

It was the actuator

Bought one for 55 and spent a weekend afternoon fitting it. Such a pain in the arse to insert and remove through such tight spaces but alas, it is done and my central locking works again \0/
Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
scottjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiekhan View Post
It was the actuator

Bought one for 55 and spent a weekend afternoon fitting it. Such a pain in the arse to insert and remove through such tight spaces but alas, it is done and my central locking works again \0/
Glad to hear that the problem is now fixed.

55 ($84 USD) for an actuator is really cheap. Did you buy a used one from a breaker? A new one should be > $110 USD. I do not recommend using used coupe actuators. I have argued with too many people that the problem has got to be a bad actuator after they replaced with a used one.

Last edited by scottjoh; 05-14-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
robbiekhan

It was used one from a breaker yeah. TBH if it lasts me another year that's fine as intend of changing cars at some point

Tags
central, door, fob, lock, locking