E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #41
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Yep.
I would be quite happy to see the entire edifice of "higher education" go down the pipe. Most of it is a joke. Including many of the "hard sciences". 99%+ of the CS grads will never write or even care how a compiler actually works. Trade schools and apprenticeship programs would be much better. (and cheaper )
:internethighfive:

After going through the higher educational system myself (whilst studying a technical degree), I have agree. I preach all the time that we need more emphasis on trade/skilled workers. The German culture respects and praises these types of people in their society, why not us?

Less people in colleges might actually decrease tuition costs as well...which would be beneficial for those that really do have the passion to learn and study.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #42
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
No, not at all. However, there is a stark difference between borrowing it from a friend who paid for it (RS allows up to 5 devices, I believe), and downloading it from a torrent site.
It's a grey area. If your friend lives 400 miles from you and posted the file to an FTP site for you to borrow, is that legal?

I know what you're saying, I just dislike the copyright laws and copyright trolls.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #43
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
It's a grey area. If your friend lives 400 miles from you and posted the file to an FTP site for you to borrow, is that legal?

I know what you're saying, I just dislike the copyright laws and copyright trolls.
Yes, that's totally legal. If you are lending it to 10,000 of your closest internet (stranger) friends, that's not legal and I think that's pretty reasonable and I don't think that's being a copyright troll.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #44
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
E46f... come for the cars, stay to get upset about black, er... Hispanic people...

Last edited by 'busa; 05-14-2013 at 08:35 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #45
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Yes, that's totally legal. If you are lending it to 10,000 of your closest internet (stranger) friends, that's not legal and I think that's pretty reasonable and I don't think that's being a copyright troll.
Maybe or maybe not. Software can be licensed to the person not the device, or both. The reality is it depends on the license.

IMO, anybody who is pirating music, software, movies, etc and then wants to b!tch about how other people only want free stuff and don't want to work and what lazy sods they are really needs to shut their pie hole.

Piracy is not a victimless crime. Piracy is a big part of why music, movie, & SW (especially consumer SW) prices are so high.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is online now   Reply With Quote