E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
sure_mac

My Ride: '01 330xi
Question ICELink install question

The installation instructions for the new ICELink include a step to disconnect the battery. I thought I read a post once saying this wasn't necessary.

Do I really have to disconnect battery or can I just plug this thing in?
sure_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Barabas

My Ride: 328i, //M Roadster
It is best to disconnect the battery before you do the installation. The BMW I-bus is really sensitive, and in most cases it will not accept the ICE-Link unless the battery is disconnected.

Good luck with the install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure_mac
The installation instructions for the new ICELink include a step to disconnect the battery. I thought I read a post once saying this wasn't necessary.

Do I really have to disconnect battery or can I just plug this thing in?
Barabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
digitalgm
Banned

My Ride: '02 M3 & '65 Stang
Send a message via AIM to digitalgm
I did it to mine w/o disconnecting the battery.

AdamR
digitalgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #4
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Cable routing

How/where did you guys route that really thick cable from the ipod to the trunk? I just got mine, and I'm interested in any tips that you found useful. I'm trying to find a way to fit the cradle in my roll-top center console cup holder replacement (too wide, may need to cut holes).
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
digitalgm
Banned

My Ride: '02 M3 & '65 Stang
Send a message via AIM to digitalgm
I first removed the trunk lining. Then I removed the back seats and all of the center console with armrest. I run the cable to a point where the backmost crease of the glove compartment meets.
digitalgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Any chance you can scan the instructions and post them? Mine didn't come with any, and I can't find any on their website. Looks pretty straightforward, but I just want to be sure.

Also, I'm really stumped as to the best way to route the cable between the back of the center console and the backseat (which I took out). Did you cut holes in the carpet and go underneath the hump between the two backseat footwells, or did you just leave the cable on top of the carpet?

Last edited by Hark; 04-24-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
sure_mac

My Ride: '01 330xi
Starting from the connection in the trunk...I ran the cable through the existing hole (under the little back cushion that the seatbelt hangs down over)...then under the plastic molding of the rear door to about the middle of the front seat...from there I ran it under the front seat and up the center hump...at the rear my plastic center console did not sit down tight on the carpeted hump...so I slipped the cable in between so that it came down the passenger side of the hump under the passenger front seat.

I have plenty of extra cable laying under the front passenger seat that I need to clean/tie up but it seems to hide everything pretty well.

Hope that helps
sure_mac is offline   Reply With Quote