E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
TheModdedXI

My Ride: 330XI
BMW Custom Exhaust

Hey guys, So Ive done a lot of research trying to find the best exhaust system for me, and I haven't found anything for my taste.

With that being said I'm going to make a custom one...

I know it says for larger engines but its the only borla muffler that has dual in dual out. So I think Im going to go with the Borla Turbo XL

I have headers so I will throw those on right after emissions and leave it cat less until my next emission test.

I will then chop the resonators and go straight. to the muffler.

I like the look of the hedman hot tips, (Resonated Tips) and that should lower the sound nice to.

So I have some questions? I know its very specific but how loud will it be? I dont want to upset the neighbors "too much"

Will an x pipe lower sound as well as increase flow and hp? If I find a good cheap one I will love to throw that on as well .
TheModdedXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
sedanpowersc

My Ride: 330i 5 speed
Re: BMW Custom Exhaust

So you're buying a borla exhaust and you already have headers, but you're going to straight pipe the borla to just the end muffler? I'm confused about what you are trying to do but with stock headers and the last muffler deleted off of my sport exhaust my car is pretty loud...add headers and subtract another resonator and the other muffler and that shit will definitely wake up your neighbors and probably any house you pass on the way home. Headers and the borla exhaust is one of the best sounding exhaust options out there so you might want to save yourself the trouble and don't worry about trying to get every HP you can out of a custom exhaust because the only thing you will actually gain power wise is from the headers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app

| BB Gen 3 Headers | Cosmos Racing V2 CAI | Muffler Delete | RE Underdrive Pulleys |
| 3.46 Diff | Tein S-Tech | Bilstein Sports | Hawk HPS | ASA AR1 | 35% Tint |
sedanpowersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
TheModdedXI

Im putting on my ebay headers. Chopping the resonators putting on a borla pro xs muffler for 100 bucks. It is 19". If thats to loud I will put a straigh threw resonator in from 50-100 bucks.

I can weld so will do my own work. Im familar with old muscle cars so this is all new to me.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
TheModdedXI

BMW Custom Exhaust

Plus i cant stand the sound stock exhaust with headers. For 200 bucks for a resonator and borla I think its worth it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
sedanpowersc

My Ride: 330i 5 speed
Re: BMW Custom Exhaust

Okay I see what you're saying now, straight pipes to a borla muffler with headers will be very loud, some people care others don't, its going to be more expensive to make an exhaust that you may not like and adding too it than to just add headers and remove muffler/ resonators one at a time and see if you like the sound

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app

| BB Gen 3 Headers | Cosmos Racing V2 CAI | Muffler Delete | RE Underdrive Pulleys |
| 3.46 Diff | Tein S-Tech | Bilstein Sports | Hawk HPS | ASA AR1 | 35% Tint |
sedanpowersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
With headers to a straight-through muffler the car will sound terrible. Very raspy and extremely loud.

You will want a resonator somewhere in the system.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
TheModdedXI

BMW Custom Exhaust

Any resonator reconmendations

Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
SoloII///M

With some creativity you can fit a magnaflow 4" x 8" x 14" oval (I believe, don't quote me on the specific size) straight-through muffler under the CSB. With that plus a large rear muffler (and it needs to be large, ideally not straight through) the car will be tolerable.

On my 330Ci I have a 4x8 magnaflow followed by a 5" round, 14" long borla to a turn-down and it's too loud for the street but it does sound good.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
TheModdedXI

BMW Custom Exhaust

I would like to have 2 borla pro xs 19 inch mufflers. 19" x 4" x 9.5" will that fit?

The borla pro xs will be my rear muffler no matter what

If not 2 magnaflow (10414) round 14 x 4 on each side. They are not glass packs.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
SoloII///M

those straight through mufflers don't do much to attenuate low frequencies so the car will drone like crazy.

I doubt those Borlas will fit - you'll need to get the car on a lift and take some measurements.

Tags
exhaust, exhaust tips, headers, muffler, resonator