E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #141
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
BUMP.

are you still selling the adapter plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxander.foster View Post
okay, here are the pictures of the adapter plate i made. for the record, its not a perfect fit, but its pretty damn good for a first time rendering. plus its a free custom CAD file! all you need to do is have it cnc'd and you're ready. when i bore out my throttle body later this year i'll redo this CAD file and make it fit perfectly but if you absolutely can not wait until then and you want to use my adapter, shoot me an email and i'll send you the .dwg file.

so here are the goofy things about the plate and general info you'll need:

the size of the adapter plate is up to you. i used 0.375" aluminum because it was what i had lying around (this was just a prototype for me so i wasn't concerned so much with the use of specific materials), but you're welcome to use whatever you like. just be aware of the depth of the head on the countersunk bolts you decide to use. the bolts i used ended up having a 0.250" deep head from top to bottom. the taper of the countersunk bolts provides a HUGE surface area (compared to a normal hex head bolt) with which to distribute the weight of the throttle body so you can go pretty thin on the material thickness if you really want to.

the four bolts that secure the adapter plate to the intake manifold are just the openings. countersunk bolts come in different taper angels so instead of forcing you to choose a specific angle i'll give you some flexibility and let you do that part yourself. when you drill the countersink into the adapter plate just center the bit with each opening (including the larger opening [see next paragraph]) and you should be set. unfortunately i don't have a bolt depth for you because it varies based on the material thickness, but the thread is a M6 x1.0.

the upper right hand bolt that secures the adapter plate to the intake manifold is slightly larger than the other three openings. instead of shifting the opening over i just decided to enlarge the opening for the time being. its only off by a millimeter or so which is why i didn't catch it when i was measuring but the enlarged opening should suffice.

you also might have to grind a little bit of the countersunk bolt's head off for the bottom left bolt. its a pretty tight fit but it works. i took a picture of the bolt with the ground down head but it turned out like crap. my camera's battery was dead so i had to use my phone, otherwise i would have taken MUCH better pictures.

the four openings that secure the adapter plate to the throttle body will have to be tapped with an M6 x 1.0 metric tap. the openings are already the proper size so you can just start tapping. I reused the original four bolts that secured the throttle body, but i had to use a single washer for each bolt to shim the bolt heads away from the intake manifold just a little bit (about the same thickness as the washer used on the stock bolts). the 0.375" plate ended up being slightly too shallow to reuse the stock bolts but the extra washers made it a perfect fit.

the four bolts that hold the throttle body to the adapter plate are VERY snug, but they do fit. i struggled getting the four bolts to thread onto the adapter plate once the intake manifold was installed in the car, but they eventually went in. patience.

the last problem is that the large opening doesn't perfectly line up with the throttle body. it lines up perfect with the intake manifold but its about a millimeter off on the throttle body opening. its just aluminum so if it really bothers you, you can grind it down. obviously leaving it will rob you of some power but i'll have this and all the other problems with the plate resolved within the year.

DISCLAIMERS:
the adapter plate isn't a functional part, its only designed to allow two different surfaces to mate; however, i cant be responsible for any damage caused by or by association with the adapter plate.
the purpose of the plate is to keep you from having to modify the intake manifold, throttle body, or any other associated engine parts, but it wont keep you from modifying the adapter plate itself. until i complete the updated adapter plate, the installation will require a little fudging to make it fit right.

i really hope this helps. if you install the plate and have problems please let me know so i can fix it. here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #142
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
i'm not selling them, just giving away the adapter plate CAD drawing as a favor to the community. you're welcome to it. you're on your own for the machining. pm me with your email address if you're interested.
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #143
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
you got PM
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #144
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
I need help finding the adapter plate for 330 man on 323 any info with a direct link would be great thnx

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #145
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #146
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
just get the turner motorsport adapter and drill your own holes. Very easy! Or if you can wait I may be parting mine out

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #147
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Joreg? I believe has an adapter plate that doesn't require ANY modification. I also had a guy making me one port matched to the manifold and throttlebody, but I haven't heard from him in a while...
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #148
Titizecop

My Ride: Z3
Hi,

Sorry for my bad english, i'm from Belgium in Europe.

I would like some advices from you...

I've done the intake manifold swap (M54B30) on my Z3 M52B28TU. Everything is ok.

I feel engine smoother, i think i have lost torque at 3000-3500 but gains in higher rpm seems little.

How many miles takes DME to automatically adapt new manifold?
I have ride 45miles since adaptation...

I have headers for delete catalysors in my garage, i have to mount them and also a personalised tune.

I have "dynoed" the Z before intake mods and it give me 206hp only with ECIS intake.

I hope tune will eliminate loss of torque in mid rpm...

What do you think?

Thw
Titizecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #149
alexxander.foster

hello Thw, congrats on the successful manifold swap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titizecop View Post
I feel engine smoother, i think i have lost torque at 3000-3500 but gains in higher rpm seems little.
the midrange torque loss sounds pretty normal but the small gains at high RPMs sounds unusual. did you pick up an intake manifold from an M54 with a 2.5L or a 3.0L? do you have a 2.5L or 2.8L engine? and I'm not too fimilar with the engine options for the Z3, do you have an M52TU engine or an M54?

the reason I ask is because this swap only works for M52TU engines. additionally, the M54 2.5L intake manifold yeilds so little HP that its not worth the time or effort. and the M52TU 2.8L doesn't experience as profound of a power increase with the manifold swap as the M52TU 2.5L engine does. there's a guy on the forums who posted dyno tests of the two different M54 intake manifolds on the same (or similar) car(s) and discussed the power gains and pitfalls of each on an M52TU engine.

Quote:
How many miles takes DME to automatically adapt new manifold?
I have ride 45miles since adaptation...
the DME should have already adapted. it usually takes only a few seconds for the LTFT to START to compensate for a consistant STFT deviation from the norm.

Quote:
I hope tune will eliminate loss of torque in mid rpm...

What do you think?
I doubt that you will regain that loss of torque in the mid rpm range. the original intake manifold distributed the bulk of the power toward the middle of the engine RPM range as you noted earlier. what you've effectively done by swapping out the intake manifold to one from an M54 is install an intake manifold with longer primary tubes. this means, in addition to adding some HP, you've shifted the power band and torque curve up toward the top end of the RPM range. if I can be honest, what you're experiencing with the power and torque shift is the whole point of this swap.

id imagine a tune will simply reenforce and amplify the power and torque shift you're experiencing. a good tune compliments the components you've installed and makes the most use of them. by tuning a car to perform well in the mid range when you've installed a part that is designed to perform well in the high range is a waste.

before you go any further it might be a good idea to test your DISA valve. the valve is naturally designed to stay open if it fails. its suppose to trigger a CEL if it fails but I didn't get a CEL when mine died. if the DISA valve fails it'll reduce your low and mid end torque but leave your high end power unchanged. with a swapped intake manifold it would seriously kill your low and mid end torque.

side bar: most daily drivers come from the factory to perform best in the mid RPM range -since that's where the car will spend most of its life. performance parts are designed to move that power up to the high end of the RPM range since that's where performance parts are designed to spend most of their life. a lot of people mistakenly think their car will drive the same but with more power when they modify it. the reality is that it can reduce drivability for a daily driver. if you want the best performance for bombing around town then stick to basic mods.

Last edited by alexxander.foster; 03-08-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #150
Titizecop

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I have put a M54B30 manifold in my M52B28TU (Z3 after 9/98, double vanos like e46 328ci).

How can i see if DISA Valve work correctly?
How can you explain that my ECIS intake make lower noise at 3000/3500?

I remember when i have installed ECIS intake, i must have to drive minimum 100 miles to feel difference in noise. That makes to me think DME need some miles to adapt...???

Edit:

I've found DISA test method and it doesn't make noise.

Last edited by Titizecop; 03-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #151
alexxander.foster

Quote:
How can you explain that my ECIS intake make lower noise at 3000/3500?
not sure about that one, I don't have that inake.

did you damage your rubber intake boot when doing this swap? they're pretty easy to tear and will cause a whistle as well as reduced performance. they're really hard to spot without completely removing the boot. the tear is usually found at the point where the idle air control valve tube branches off from the main intake tube. you usually have to bend the rubber to see the cracks. sometimes they're small cracks but any unmetered air will cause a problem and a whistle.

how about a gasket leak where the throttle body meets the intake manifold. did you use a gasket or RTV sealant between the throttle body and the adapter plate? how about the adapter plate and the intake manifold.

Quote:
I remember when i have installed ECIS intake, i must have to drive minimum 100 miles to feel difference in noise. That makes to me think DME need some miles to adapt...???
hmmm... I guess somebody with more DME knowledge is going to have to weigh in here. my guess is 50 miles is plenty of time to adapt to the degree that you would notice. whenever I've done mods I've noticed the largest change in performance right away and a marginal improvement as time progressed.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #152
Titizecop

I have cracked second rubber intake (just before throttle body), i have temporarily repared with scotch tape, i don't think there are a whistle there but i have command new.

There is a gasket on adaptator between manifold and adaptator.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #153
Lynx

My Ride: E36 M3, E30 318is
If anyone`s interested, i`ve got one B30 manifold for sale!
In Estonia / Estland
contact me at: Lauri.Ilves@hotmail.com
http://album.ee/album/294656/50309739

Last edited by Lynx; 09-01-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #154
ezh

My Ride: 2,8
Can somebody give a drawing of the adapter? In the 68 post its not full
ezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #155
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezh View Post
Can somebody give a drawing of the adapter? In the 68 post its not full
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1752969
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #156
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
Does anyone have a measurement of the port size difference between the M52B28TU and the m54 intake port runners?? Is there any difference in runner size besides lenght?? If there is a diff. in runner diameter where they meet the head, then I wonder how well it matches to the head.

Because this was posted above, " intake manifold to one from an M54 is install an intake manifold with longer primary tubes. this means, in addition to adding some HP, you've shifted the power band and torque curve up toward the top end of the RPM range."

It does not make any sense, a longer runner intake manifold usually gives you more tq/hp bottom end versus a short runner intake. I wonder if the 3.0 liter intake's runners are bigger in diameter where they meet the head and the runners don't match the ports in the head. That would cause major turbulence.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #157
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Re: M54b30 intake manifold swap into m52tu

What?

The M52tu manifold runners are oval shaped. The M54 manifold runners are D shaped. The oval fits within the D. There is no difference in port size on the head. All e46 non- M have the same head casting.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #158
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

Thinking about this myself? What would I need to do other than swap?

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #159
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
M54 manifold and adapter - mine will be forsale soon.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #160
Boundlessua

My Ride: 328Ci E46
Send a message via Skype™ to Boundlessua
Can someone share with me the latest adapter plate CAD drawing ? Because alexxander.foster doesn't respond via PM (((
Boundlessua is offline   Reply With Quote