E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 167 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #19181
\\\WINGMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 187
My Ride: 2004 325i
Recharged my freon. Getting windows done Saturday
\\\WINGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #19182
trentcdrums
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,014
My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Attachment 505670
Bought these for my 323i. Are they shortys or long!?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Anyone know?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #19183
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,881
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Anyone know?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
What the hell is a shorty?

Compare to Gheypeng's thread for best reference. That probably has the best header comparison pictures on this forum.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #19184
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,450
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
It's not Mango's information. It's BMW's
Not sure why you are posting angry things.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...56&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
Considering our cooling systems are the primary failure point of our cars, and his post is extremely useful, yes it is deserved.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #19185
prisonerofdoom83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: palmdale
Posts: 167
My Ride: E46 E30 Tacoma
is it worth cleaning the K&N drop in filter or just change in the Mann filter ?
__________________
prisonerofdoom83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #19186
BABY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Port Hueneme, CA
Posts: 56
My Ride: 2005 BMW 330 Cic
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Halfway done with lexol cleaner and conditioner... Bimmerfest fever!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1368678042.852422.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	505843


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

My BABY! 2005 330 Cic, premium & sport package, style 71's.
BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #19187
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,898
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
If you had a shop pull your wheels for any reason, double check their torque.

I just discovered that 3 of mine were extremely over tightened (breaker bar was bending), and one of them was way under tightened (I would estimate 30 lb-ft). Probably explains why my front end has been feeling loose around hard turns. Next time I'm just going to keep my breaker bar and torque wrench with me and retorque those lugs in their parking lot.

Probably going to buy new lugs too since these bolts have most likely been over stretched. Actually, I think I'll just buy a stud conversion kit

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-16-2013 at 12:06 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #19188
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,450
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
If you had a shop pull your wheels for any reason, double check their torque.

I just discovered that 3 of mine were extremely over tightened (breaker bar was bending), and one of them was way under tightened (I would estimate 30 lb-ft). Probably explains why my front end has been feeling loose around hard turns. Next time I'm just going to keep my breaker bar and torque wrench with me and retorque those lugs in their parking lot.

Probably going to buy new lugs too since these bolts have most likely been over stretched. Actually, I think I'll just buy a stud conversion kit
Yep. Today I went to a tire shop to get my rear m68 installed. i made sure they used MY OWN torque wrench from start to finish. the guys actually prefer it cause they dont have to drag the air tools/hose all the way to the working area. Demand it. be in their face about it. dont let them torque it to 200 lbs only for you to unload it and retorque it in the parking lot. make sure your bolts are never torqued that high.

i'd just do bolts unless you're a track freak. keep it pure. Personally i trust the bolts more and they just plain look 1000x better.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #19189
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,898
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Yep. Today I went to a tire shop to get my rear m68 installed. i made sure they used MY OWN torque wrench from start to finish. the guys actually prefer it cause they dont have to drag the air tools/hose all the way to the working area. Demand it. be in their face about it. dont let them torque it to 200 lbs only for you to unload it and retorque it in the parking lot. make sure your bolts are never torqued that high.

i'd just do bolts unless you're a track freak. keep it pure. Personally i trust the bolts more and they just plain look 1000x better.
Yeah I'll do that next time. I could have sworn I saw them use a torque wrench last time, but that's probably because I was watching.

Meh, I'm not a track nut, but I do prefer studs. I work on the car enough that it is worth it to me. And as far as I'm aware, they aren't any less safe than bolts. If I do go with studs/nuts, I intend to go with a set that doesn't look terrible
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #19190
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,377
My Ride: '00 328i
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Attachment 505670
Bought these for my 323i. Are they shortys or long!?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Neither
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #19191
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,450
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Yeah I'll do that next time. I could have sworn I saw them use a torque wrench last time, but that's probably because I was watching.

Meh, I'm not a track nut, but I do prefer studs. I work on the car enough that it is worth it to me. And as far as I'm aware, they aren't any less safe than bolts. If I do go with studs/nuts, I intend to go with a set that doesn't look terrible
Eh I dunno. I don't like the idea of dropping nice aluminum wheels on stud threads (letting them hang). Also any exposed part of the thread is going to be subject to corrosion just like the back of the wheel bolt is but at least the wheel bolt is hidden.

I love working on my car with wheel bolts actually. I've got it down extremely well and I'm very very fast and accurate. I plop it on, thread one boltall the way on with my extended 1/2"/17mm socket combo and voila. The one bolt holds it flush and i take my time threading the rest. Just used to it i guess.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #19192
RKiepper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linn, Missouri
Posts: 1,571
My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Since we're on the topic of wheels.

I dropped off my square M3 fronts at a shop so I can get a warranty exchange on tires that turned out to be junk.

Not crazy about one of the employees though. Watching him try to put a full size spare into the trunk of a Mercedes. He couldn't get the liner up with the wheel in his hands so he dropped the wheel onto the concrete and heard it hit the back of the rim against the concrete. Pretty damn loud too. Didn't even care that he had done it.

Def gonna make a point to not let that kid touch my wheels tomorrow.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #19193
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
If you had a shop pull your wheels for any reason, double check their torque.

I just discovered that 3 of mine were extremely over tightened (breaker bar was bending), and one of them was way under tightened (I would estimate 30 lb-ft). Probably explains why my front end has been feeling loose around hard turns. Next time I'm just going to keep my breaker bar and torque wrench with me and retorque those lugs in their parking lot.

Probably going to buy new lugs too since these bolts have most likely been over stretched. Actually, I think I'll just buy a stud conversion kit
I had the same thing happen to me after the dealership refinished my wheels. They subcontracted it, and the outside company is the one that reinstalled the wheels.

I had to use a breaker bar plus the jack handle to break them loose. The breaker bar was bending. I also found 3 bolts that were literally finger tight. I checked them after I got a horrible vibration under braking on the way home. Can't trust anyone...


Sent from my iPhone
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #19194
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Not to mention they didn't clean powder coat out of the bolt seats so I've had an issue with the bolts not holding torque and within 200 miles I'd have vibration under braking.


Sent from my iPhone
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #19195
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,898
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Eh I dunno. I don't like the idea of dropping nice aluminum wheels on stud threads (letting them hang). Also any exposed part of the thread is going to be subject to corrosion just like the back of the wheel bolt is but at least the wheel bolt is hidden.

I love working on my car with wheel bolts actually. I've got it down extremely well and I'm very very fast and accurate. I plop it on, thread one boltall the way on with my extended 1/2"/17mm socket combo and voila. The one bolt holds it flush and i take my time threading the rest. Just used to it i guess.
The wheel should still hang off the hub, but the studs would make it much easier to actually line up properly. Especially if you have spacers

I imagine a set of coated bullet nose studs wouldn't have any visible rust even with open ended nuts


Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Not to mention they didn't clean powder coat out of the bolt seats so I've had an issue with the bolts not holding torque and within 200 miles I'd have vibration under braking.


Sent from my iPhone
Damn man that really sucks. I would see if you can get them to replace the afflicted hubs since that is a safety issue IMO

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-16-2013 at 01:07 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #19196
bostonsthename
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 226
My Ride: 2003 Jet Black 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Not sure why you are posting angry things.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...56&postcount=2



I'm not sure why either, I just happened to get the link from his sig. Either way, I plan on doing electric fan swap, cooling overhaul, VCG, vanos seals, and fluid changes in the near future (money permitting)
bostonsthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #19197
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 8,615
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Not sure why you are posting angry things.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...56&postcount=2



I thought I had seen it all, but apparently you document every good thing someone says about you...wow.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #19198
Blueandwhite85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,334
My Ride: E46
Re: * What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I thought I had seen it all, but apparently you document every good thing someone says about you...wow.
His life is this website, what did you expect?

While you may have compiled the information into one thread, none of this e46 cooling system knowledge of yours would exist if it wasn't for bmw. Also I didn't post anything angry, was just pointing out that you didn't create the cooling system or a single component for it, therefore you have no posession of it or the knowledge of it since afterall it's free information that can be found throughout the Internet and beyond.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #19199
trentcdrums
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,014
My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Neither
Elaborate?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #19200
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Damn man that really sucks. I would see if you can get them to replace the afflicted hubs since that is a safety issue IMO
Well it's been less than 6 months and the clear coat is already starting to peel on at least one, and they're guaranteed for life against peeling so it's going back, unfortunately, at some point. I've had a problem with this dealership every single time I've gone and even filed complaints against them with BMWNA over their stupidity. This next time, I'll have a torque wrench and breaker bar in hand. I might even go as far as to have them show me the bolt seats before I leave.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use