E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
First Time BMW Owner Intro and Some Questions

Hey everybody!

Just bought my first BMW. My wife has been driving a Mazda 6 for the last 7 years and I decided it was time for her to get an upgrade. She has always wanted a convertible so we started looking. Came very close to buying a Mercedes SLK320 but decided it was too small. So I found a BMW 330ci coupe to test drive and we both really enjoyed it.

We finally found the right vert on CL, we had to drive 9 hours to get to it but we got there and struck a good deal with the owner so we are now the proud owners of a 2002 BMW 330ci Vert.

All I have so far are some pics from the ad, car is in the shop getting some tint right now.

Will get some better pics once the tint is done and the detail is done this Friday.

In the mean time I have some questions for you all. I have been reading and searching but could use some help.

1. Where is the best place online to get OEM parts? I need an antenna base, a driver door speaker cover and a few other odds.

2. The windshield washers don't work, I am guessing the pump is bad as it is really loud and doesn't sound right. Is it easy to replace?

3. The front HK tweeters are blown. I see a new set from BMW are $175, is there a good cheaper alternative that works well?

4. Is there anything I can do about the spot on the driver seat you can see in the pic where it is worn?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Welcome Aarond, can't answer your q's as in UK, but nice vert I like the colour too!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: First Time BMW Owner Intro and Some Questions

Realoem.com is a good place to find the part number for what you need. From there just Google the part number and see what pops up. I imagine the forum sponsors also will have some or all of the parts you're looking for.

A seat cover might be the cheapest way to fix a worn spot on the seat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
BStein325

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Hey Aaron and welcome to the forum! I have to say beautiful car. You and your wife will be pleased. The E46 is by far my favorite of all BMW's. Mine is the same color lol but in a 325 with grey interior and a navy blue top. As for your questions:

1) If this is your first BMW, you will realize that when it comes to sport cars like ours, thing to replace and fix will be much more costly. I would normally only go through BMW if I absolutely cannot find anything from another website or company. The dealership steals your money. You may want to try browsing around on eBay just to see what kind of catch ya find. If not, I recently got affiliated with a website called http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/BMW/BMWParts.php - they have everything you can imagine and all OEM/Factory parts. If you eventually want to do some aftermarket parts on the car other than OEM you can try Khoalty.com they are great and as well TurnerMotorsports.com

2) I would take it to a shop to find out about the pump/washer fluid and wipers. I have my own trustworthy shop where I live and know the guys. They are all Master Certified BMW technicians that formed their own shop. Long story short BE CAREFUL! I highly recommend that you find a shop that ONLY specializes in European cars even for oil changes. Fixing the car, replacing anything, anything you can imagine. I learned the hard way the first time around and it was a costly experience. If not and you are willing to pay higher prices, take it to the BMW Dealership near you. Here is one I found off Amazon if it is the pump. --> http://www.amazon.com/2001-2005-325i.../dp/B002ZZE8CE

3) The tweeter replacement, I do not know much in that area, but I would say the same thing as above - look around on websites, do some research and what not.

4) I do not think so ( I could be wrong ) but on my driver seat along the same side you can see it is a little worn. You also have to take into consideration that it is an 11 year old car and it is not going to be perfect. However, it looks very clean just from the pictures.

- I hope you and your wife enjoy your new beautiful car and feel free to PM me or even post a thread for everyone if you have any more questions.
BStein325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
aarondb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStein325 View Post
Hey Aaron and welcome to the forum! I have to say beautiful car. You and your wife will be pleased. The E46 is by far my favorite of all BMW's. Mine is the same color lol but in a 325 with grey interior and a navy blue top. As for your questions:

1) If this is your first BMW, you will realize that when it comes to sport cars like ours, thing to replace and fix will be much more costly. I would normally only go through BMW if I absolutely cannot find anything from another website or company. The dealership steals your money. You may want to try browsing around on eBay just to see what kind of catch ya find. If not, I recently got affiliated with a website called http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/BMW/BMWParts.php - they have everything you can imagine and all OEM/Factory parts. If you eventually want to do some aftermarket parts on the car other than OEM you can try Khoalty.com they are great and as well TurnerMotorsports.com

2) I would take it to a shop to find out about the pump/washer fluid and wipers. I have my own trustworthy shop where I live and know the guys. They are all Master Certified BMW technicians that formed their own shop. Long story short BE CAREFUL! I highly recommend that you find a shop that ONLY specializes in European cars even for oil changes. Fixing the car, replacing anything, anything you can imagine. I learned the hard way the first time around and it was a costly experience. If not and you are willing to pay higher prices, take it to the BMW Dealership near you. Here is one I found off Amazon if it is the pump. --> http://www.amazon.com/2001-2005-325i.../dp/B002ZZE8CE

3) The tweeter replacement, I do not know much in that area, but I would say the same thing as above - look around on websites, do some research and what not.

4) I do not think so ( I could be wrong ) but on my driver seat along the same side you can see it is a little worn. You also have to take into consideration that it is an 11 year old car and it is not going to be perfect. However, it looks very clean just from the pictures.

- I hope you and your wife enjoy your new beautiful car and feel free to PM me or even post a thread for everyone if you have any more questions.
Wow thanks for the great response. Thanks for the comments on the car. I will admit it was not my first color choice but it is really growing on me and my wife really likes it. I just got it back from the tint shop and that made a big difference in the appearance, looks meaner now.

My dad has had a 98 740il for the past 7 years or so, great car so I was already a BMW fan, was very happy to find this one.

Thanks for the heads up on the part website, I will check it out for the stuff I need.

I found a good thread here about the tweeters, got some new mids and tweeters ordered up, should have them in the car by next week. Now I just need to figure out how to get the busted antenna base off the car so I can put a new one on.

Lucky for me there is a private BMW shop in town that is region renowned for their awesome service. Will take it in there to have the wiper problem checked as well as the SES light.

Here is a pic from the tint shop today.

Oh, thought of one more question. My outside temp guage reads 122 F and never changes. How do I fix that?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
BStein325

Your more than welcome! As for the temp gauge, easy way to tell.....turn the ignition on but leave the motor off, (with the motor cold) if the needle still pegs to the right the temp sensor is bad....if not then its your thermostat and you need to follow the advice given and not drive it if it is the thermostat.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
aarondb4

I called it the wrong thing, the ambient temp sensor is the problem. I did some digging then checked the car and the sensor isn't there! Guess I know what my problem is, got a new sensor ordered up this afternoon.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
BStein325

Awesome! Well I am glad you are now up to date on things with the car! I have my own major problems with my own to deal with lol.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
06///m3

My Ride: 2006 bmw m3
Re: First Time BMW Owner Intro and Some Questions

Nice car... I would try www.getbmwparts.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app
06///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Welcome, you guys will love that convertible.

The windshield washer system is pretty simple. Fix it yourself! Replace the pump (one electrical plug and it pulls out of the rubber grommet in the washer bottle). If you see two pumps it means you have headlamp washers (you'll also see a three-inch panel under each headlamp). Then clean the jets -- stick a staple in the holes.

As far as the seat goes, a good upholstery shop can sew in a new panel for probably less than $175. They might offer a discount if you remove the seat yourself. But disconnect the battery and don't reconnect until seat is plugged back in or else you'll get an Airbag light on the dash, and that needs to be reset by someone with a Peake tool or other coding device.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
aarondb4

So I have a SES light on, previous owner thinks it is one of the o2 sensors but is not sure.

I was planning on taking it in to have the code read and if it is the o2 I will replace it myself. However I have seen some threads discussing a code reader you can buy on ebay. Can anyone point me to the correct reader to buy? I have windows 7 on my laptop and I would like to be able to read and clear codes and do some of the setup things that the book says to go to the dealer for. Such as customizing things to keys and activating the alarm system.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
I'm not sure exactly what code reader you want to purchase, but if you click on the sponsors link at the top of so the page several of the companies listed sell code readers that will read your code and reset oil change lights, etc.

personally I avoid eBay whenever possible especially when you can get the same item from a reputable merchant .
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Jason@Tischer
Your #1 OEM BMW Part Source

My Ride: '02 Dinan 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
Welcome aboard! Evan and I are available via PM, email, and AIM throughout the business week and will be happy to answer any questions you have about all genuine BMW parts and accessories.

Let us know if you need anything, and enjoy the new ride!

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
Jason@Tischer is offline   Reply With Quote