E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
JOEYB24

My Ride: 2002 325XI
Removing tints

Hey guys,

I want to make my tints darker on my E46 and shops have been saying that they cannot tint over the old tint..which i don't believe so i have been getting quoted expensive prices of $200 to remove tints plus applying new tints for another $200..

How do you recommend removing the tints by myself. I have a defroster on the rear windsheild and dont want to screw that up also.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
JOEYB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
$200 to remove tints? lmaooo wow I need to get into that business.

Its easy...just peel a corner and remove...it will leave a sticky residue which can be removed with dishwasher soap and water or any glass cleaner works. Spray it on and with a razor blade you remove it. Keep wetting it and scraping off the glue with the razor blade. For the rear windshield you have to be careful with the razor blade, you don't want to scratch off one of the defroster lines.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
I worked at a stereo shop that did tint for about 4 years and the tinters there applied new tint over old tint all the time. It's hard to remove it from the rear glass without damaging the defroster, you have to know what you are doing. But taking it off the other windows is usually easy. You will want to use a mixture of water and ammonia. I can't remember the exact ratio but I want to say its 20% ammonia. You will also need disposable razors. Start by peeling off a corner and then pull off the tint. All the adhesive will still be on the glass.
Now you have to spray the solution on the glass and use the razor to scrape off all the adhesive. It has to be COMPLETELY removed. If you cannot even start to peel the tint, you are going to want to create a sauna like environment in the car. I don't remember exactly how the tinters did it but it involved parking the car in the hot sun with the windows up and the heater on. They did something else to create humidity inside the car but I can't remember.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
JOEYB24

Ive heard a handheld steamer also.. which i will try.do u think i will need to remove door panels to get all the tint off ?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
benzovs

No door panels are removed to install the tint so they won't need to be removed when the tint is taken off.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
rguti153

My Ride: 2004 zhp / 2000 323i
Go to Walmart n get the steamer for the clothes cost about 30 bucks , remove tint , n go return it back to wally world n u get ur money back lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
rguti153 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
FKNricky

It's true, shops won't install new tint over old tint. I wouldn't do it (I tint on the side occasionally). Reason being that if the old tint decides it doesn't want to stick anymore then it will also bring your new tint with it. Not to mention the old tint is probably faded.

As for removing the tint, your best bet is to get a small wardrobe steamer from best buy (I use a conair, its like 30 bucks) and heat up a corner of the tint and with your fingernail try and lift it. slowly heat a bit at a time and peel slowly (emphasis on SLOWLY, if not it will come off piece by piece) as you follow with the head of the steamer with what you peel. So keep the steamer over the tint that's still stuck and under the layer you've peeled little by little. if any adhesive gets left behind it will easily wipe off with acetone, but be careful with it as it will **** up anything it comes in contact with if it drips. This method works best with the rear windshield, and will also work on side windows (obviously). The side windows you can scrape away if you'd like with soap and water, no need for chemicals.

Door panels can stay, just be careful with chemicals

And if you're lucky you could bitch about the steamer and say it doesn't remove wrinkles off your clothes and return it. lol
FKNricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
JOEYB24

Sounds like a good idea.. the walmart idea. I will do that. Im just not comfortable using amonia and this and that becasue im not sure if these cleaner products will stain the car if it gets on the interior.

with the steamer the glue will all come off also right ?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
FKNricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYB24 View Post
Sounds like a good idea.. the walmart idea. I will do that. Im just not comfortable using amonia and this and that becasue im not sure if these cleaner products will stain the car if it gets on the interior.

with the steamer the glue will all come off also right ?
if you're patient and heat up an area as I said, the glue will lift with the tint. If it seperates and starts leaving a layer on the glass, try on a different corner.

also ammonia wont ruin anything unless it spills in excess. just wipe it off immediately if it does get on anything.

Last edited by FKNricky; 05-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.
FKNricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
rguti153

My Ride: 2004 zhp / 2000 323i
Yes the glue would come off to ... Works great

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
rguti153 is online now   Reply With Quote