E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #61
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Center Blower Motor DIY:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=418987

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=507678
Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #62
guest0213
Account closed at users request

My Ride: 2001 TiAG/blk M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC04 View Post
Nobody knows if you could just unplug the blower in question and leave it. What is the role of this little blower fan in the big picture of the ac/heater system?

FYI!!! I am in the process of troubleshooting a random shutdown issue with my 01 M3. The car will shut off and not start back until cooled down once it gets hot. There is a temperature switch inside the Electronics box that this blower supplies. If the box gets too hot then the switch will act as a thermal protection measure and shutdown everything to prevent damage. Just thought I would let you know what I'm dealing with. It has taken me FOREVER to narrow down what the issue is and I think this might be it.
guest0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #63
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Hmmm, good tip, thanks.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #64
Xeus

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
I have the same stupid noise, now I know where it comes from. Thanks!
Xeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #65
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Finnnnnnnally!

I had this cricket sound for the last few years and it drove me crazy. When it would begin chirping intermittently, passengers seemed to not notice even when directed to the noise. To me, the sound was maddening. I didnt figure out what this sound was until I found this thread last year and bought the "cover with blower" part.

Being lazy and busy with other crap, I let it sit around in a box until this past weekend. I finally managed to swap this part out.

The DIY was pretty straight forward and covered well by OP. I meant to take some photos, but forgot to grab my camera. The OPs photos are more than enough so no difference. The swap probably took no more than 15-20 minutes. THe only SNAFU I encountered was after removing the three metal screws, plastic pop-pin and plastic screw. There are two small metal clips which are the last to come off after removing all the other screws. These small metal clips are right under the steering column and can easily break the fragile plastic clip on the access cover, which can easily break off if you dont detach the clip in a gentle manner.

Once the access cover is off, its still attached by two separate wires. One if for the light and the other for your OBDII connection. You can unclip both so you have better access to the "cover w/blower part." For the OBDII, slide the blue plastic clip out and push the pins from the bottom upwards and out. Once these wires are detached, you can more easily unscrew and install the cover w/ blower.

In the engine compartment, you need to loosen the hex screws and put the CPU cover aside. Be careful not to get anything in the CPU/wiring area. I worked on this in the hot sun and I was perspiring a little which dripped down unto the exposed wiring. Be careful not to get this wet! I actually placed a cover over the wires while I worked to prevent debris and sweat from falling in.

Inside the CPU box is the clip where the blower attaches. You must first release the TOP clip (by pulling up) before releasing the lower clip (by pulling down). I thought it might be a challenge to route the wire from the footrest upwards into the CPU compartment. This was not the case. Just stick the stiff cable coming from the blower up and through the opening. You will want to clip and secure this connection first, before beginning to orient and tighten down the blower from inside. This is to prevent the cable from disorientating itself while you shift it around to tighten. Therefore, you must have it plugged up top, before doing your finally tightening down below.

Also, the new blower had a slightly different wiring route coming out of the blower when compared to the factory part. When the old one was removed, you could see how much dirt and dust was trapped inside the "hampster wheel" which spins. Apparently, this is the cause of the noise. Dust and dirt which get trapped inside the bearings and wheel and create a high pitch noise.

Anyway, glad to have rid myself of this annoying chirp.

Also, heres a DIY posted on an M3 board. It has some other angles that are not covered in the OPs photos. It also has a procedure to CLEAN and REPLACE the cover w/ blower INSTEAD of replacing it. Since this seem to be a viable option, I have posted the thread below. There are photos on how to dissasemble the blower, clean it and reassemble.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=cricket+noise

Cheers!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #66
eso123

My Ride: 2003 330xi
cricket noise

OK - I finally just fixed mine today. Learned a few things. One of which is that this is just a little blower that circulates air through the little "fuse box" electrical box under the hood. Anyway, these blowers are like $150 at the stealership just for the part. Hence I decided to try to repair mine instead. I easily dissassembled the blower unit. Just had to be cautious not to break any of the plastic pieces. I found that the bearings were bad on the little motor inside there, causing the squeaks. Radio Shack motor 273-256 fit right in as a replacement. ($5.79!) Unsoldered the old and soldered in the new. Seems to work fine, but only drove once so far. If it seems to work I'll post some pics and more detail. $6 is much better than $150!

EDIT--The radio shack motor works and is squeak free, but a little too loud or high-speed. Looking for another option now!!

Last edited by eso123; 11-15-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: new information
eso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #67
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eso123 View Post
OK - I finally just fixed mine today. Learned a few things. One of which is that this is just a little blower that circulates air through the little "fuse box" electrical box under the hood. Anyway, these blowers are like $150 at the stealership just for the part. Hence I decided to try to repair mine instead. I easily dissassembled the blower unit. Just had to be cautious not to break any of the plastic pieces. I found that the bearings were bad on the little motor inside there, causing the squeaks. Radio Shack motor 273-256 fit right in as a replacement. ($5.79!) Unsoldered the old and soldered in the new. Seems to work fine, but only drove once so far. If it seems to work I'll post some pics and more detail. $6 is much better than $150!
Great idea! Thanks for posting!
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #68
grandcarrera

My Ride: 330xi 2003
My car make this weird noise only when I drove in crapy or bumpy road. It only happened when my AC is on, when it off the noise are gone too.

So which one do I need to fix ?
grandcarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #69
OverBoostinAnthony

My Ride: 2004 325i 5sp
Thank you baby Jesus, that noise is so damn annoying!! Makes me not want to drive... lawlz j/k. But forreal, it pisses me off.
OverBoostinAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #70
zak100

My Ride: Bmw e46 318i
Hello chaps mine is a right hand drive would the location of the blower still be on the passenger side, as the ECU is on the passenger side. Thanks for your help
zak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #71
ecopvm

My Ride: '03 BMW 325xi
Anybody tried Radio Shack motor? Any follow ups' on that?
ecopvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #72
sky222

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
What do you expect? If you're installing a new part then it will work unless it's factory defective.

This fan is not controlled by the climate control system. From what I remember reading it's triggered by temperature inside the ECU box. If your "cricket" shuts off when you turn off the climate control then your AC/heater blower is the problem. Similar noise but different fan motor.
My cricket sound shut off when i turn off the climate control...i only hear it when i had the AC on ...so could that be the blower motor behind the vent? Thanx
sky222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #73
echung

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak100 View Post
Hello chaps mine is a right hand drive would the location of the blower still be on the passenger side, as the ECU is on the passenger side. Thanks for your help

My 2002 E46 is RHD, I also had the damn noise, so I followed the above procedure----- and found that My E46 did not have the blower fan at all. There is no wire plug connect to the ECU board. The blower cover is behind the passanger side glove box and triming that cannot be easily taken away.
I took away my driver side knee well covering, there is no blower or any duct to ECU.

I had searched similar topics everywhere and learnt that the tropical version of E46 will have this blower fan. I am in hot tropical Hong Kong but my E46 does not have this. Definitely RHD and LHD had different foot well design.

I have the noise whenever the engine is hot.No sound when you start the car in the morning. The noise is there no matter the aircon is on and off.

Any Right hand drive fans can help???
echung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #74
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by x509v3 View Post
Search for "weird cricket noise" in these forums and you'll eventually find someone who posted a video that perfectly describes the noise:
WOW! I have had this exact noise for a few months now. Thanks to this post now I know what to do to get rid of that annoying noise .
Old 05-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #75
EDWAGON

ordered part from ECS under 90 bucks shipped.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #76
Pricey

My Ride: E46 compact
cricket noise/electric buzz behind dashboard driver's side

Great

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Pricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #77
EDWAGON

Just did this yesterday the cricket is gone!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #78
my323coupe

My Ride: 323ci
AW: cricket noise/electric buzz behind dashboard driver's side

Where can i find part 7???????

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&fg=35&hl=36

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
my323coupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #79
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Changed mine out for a new one and no more annoying cricket sound. Thanks guys.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buzzing, cluster, cricket, noise