E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #321
trey3

My Ride: 2002 325i
Technical Details

First, Hi Everyone. I have been reading about this fan conversion for days now and I think I am starting to loose sleep over it...Ha Ha

This has been my thought process so far.

I have seen all the talk about the transmission temp issues. It seems to me, and others have said, the transmission is going to assume the temperature of the engine coolant. As long as it is the same temp regardless of fan type, there should be no issue there.

Someone mentioned since the new fan is using the front, "emergency" fan, connector to engage, it does stand to reason the engine is reaching a slightly higher temperature than it should/would with the mechanical fan. I should just let the numerous success stories speak for themselves, but I am way too big of an obsessive technical nerd to just let it go.

What is really concerning me is the air conditioner. In my opinion when the A/C is on there should be air moving across the condenser coil regardless of outside temp, engine temp, or high side refrigerant pressure. If there was a way to make the new electric fan engage anytime the air conditioner is on I would be very happy. I suspect what it is doing now is letting the high side pressure build up to the point it would be on a very hot day, when the aux fan would normally kick in, even when its cool outside. And I dont like the sound of that. Seems it was just stay on until the pressure drops and repeat the cycle until the engine was warm enough to request the fan. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Trey
trey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #322
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Been a while since the swap, and am still loving it. I feel like i'm definitely noticing an increase in gas milage, not much but probably around 1mpg or so. Taking off the front fan was a bitch, and I broke all four of those expanding rivits, tried using generic ones from autozone in a pinch but they didn't work either. Zip tied it for now, and will probably take care of it on the next major DIY run.

The damage to the hood was about what I expected, going to pay 500 cash to have it taken care of by a bodyshop in the area. Expensive mistake to make.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #323
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey3 View Post
First, Hi Everyone. I have been reading about this fan conversion for days now and I think I am starting to loose sleep over it...Ha Ha

This has been my thought process so far.

I have seen all the talk about the transmission temp issues. It seems to me, and others have said, the transmission is going to assume the temperature of the engine coolant. As long as it is the same temp regardless of fan type, there should be no issue there.

Someone mentioned since the new fan is using the front, "emergency" fan, connector to engage, it does stand to reason the engine is reaching a slightly higher temperature than it should/would with the mechanical fan. I should just let the numerous success stories speak for themselves, but I am way too big of an obsessive technical nerd to just let it go.

What is really concerning me is the air conditioner. In my opinion when the A/C is on there should be air moving across the condenser coil regardless of outside temp, engine temp, or high side refrigerant pressure. If there was a way to make the new electric fan engage anytime the air conditioner is on I would be very happy. I suspect what it is doing now is letting the high side pressure build up to the point it would be on a very hot day, when the aux fan would normally kick in, even when its cool outside. And I dont like the sound of that. Seems it was just stay on until the pressure drops and repeat the cycle until the engine was warm enough to request the fan. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Trey
This is the reason the fan goes into high speed as soon as you turn on your a/c.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #324
azshorty

Well I finally done the conversion. Thanks to those who made the thread and diy.
I even got to change the a/c belt while in there.
I live in phoenix,az. I will update as the temps climb higher.
The car runs alot smoother, revs quickly and best of all, it doesnt sound like an 18 wheeler.
It was a simple swap.
I did how ever reinstall the front cover that went in front of the aux fan.
Is this part necessary? I did it because I didnt like the empty gap it was leaving.
But still has more than enough space for airflow.
I highly recommend the swap.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #325
tropos

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Polo View Post
Just did it this weekend.
I love it. Engine revs freely, car no longer sounds like an 18 wheeler.
No change in engine temps, but I haven't removed the front aux fan yet.
how did you do this as the new puller fan would need to connect to the existing pusher fan's socket connector. or did you split the socket wiring to support 2 fans at one go?
tropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #326
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Ultra gauge is a neat little device. Just keep in mind though that it will rely on the coolant temp sensor if that's not reporting accurately, we'll then nothing can save you

What I'm getting at is that if you haven't already, it might be a good idea to change the sensor. Good luck!
Good idea, just ordered one. Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azshorty View Post
This is the reason the fan goes into high speed as soon as you turn on your a/c.
X2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropos View Post
How did you do this as the new puller fan would need to connect to the existing pusher fan's socket connector. or did you split the socket wiring to support 2 fans at one go?
I do believe he just hasn't removed it yet. Once you install the Puller Fan you can't run the Pusher Fan off that OEM plug anymore.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #327
tropos

My Ride: E46
perhaps it would be better to run the new puller with a separate wiring circuit, fuse and relay leaving the oem plug for the pusher only. the relay can be triggered by the oem plug output. that way you will have an active pusher and puller just as the original e46 auto version (electric pusher and mech puller).

not sure if the oem trigger signal is good for puller thou...but something could be worked out.
tropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #328
azshorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Good idea, just ordered one. Thanks...

X2...

I do believe he just hasn't removed it yet. Once you install the Puller Fan you can't run the Pusher Fan off that OEM plug anymore.
Correction. Yes you can run the radiator fan (puller fan) with the existing oem plug from the pusher (aux fan). If you use a direct replacement fan. Behr or Bosch, this s how it operates like it came from the factory.
Just did bimmerfest west from Az to Ca in 109* heat and beating on it., the car or transmission did not show any kind of over heating. Drove it in all 3 modes. Auto, step, and sport.
Im very happy with the end results.
I followed the write up in the diy section, and I used the bosch unit from bmaparts.com.
Best price I cold find anywhere online that I was comfrotable from purchasing.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #329
azshorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropos View Post
perhaps it would be better to run the new puller with a separate wiring circuit, fuse and relay leaving the oem plug for the pusher only. the relay can be triggered by the oem plug output. that way you will have an active pusher and puller just as the original e46 auto version (electric pusher and mech puller).

not sure if the oem trigger signal is good for puller thou...but something could be worked out.
If yo use the direct replacement for a manual trans, its direct plug and play.
No splicing or toggle switch needed. Took me about 3 hrs including changing the a/c belt.

Last edited by azshorty; 05-20-2013 at 09:12 PM.
azshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #330
azshorty

[QUOTE=tropos;15433718]perhaps it would be better to run the new puller with a separate wiring circuit, fuse and relay leaving the oem plug for the pusher only. the relay can be triggered by the oem plug output. that way you will have an active pusher and puller just as the original e46 auto version (electric pusher and mech puller).

Last edited by azshorty; 05-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.
azshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #331
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azshorty View Post
Correction. Yes you can run the radiator fan (puller fan) with the existing oem plug from the pusher (aux fan). If you use a direct replacement fan. Behr or Bosch, this s how it operates like it came from the factory.
Correction?

Did you even read what he was asking? Of course you run the Puller fan off the Pusher fans OEM plug. You cannot run both electric fans at the same time from the OEM plug. Remove the Mechanical fan and Pusher fan, install the BEHR or BOSCH Electric fan and that's it...Done.

Don't leave the pusher fan installed as it restricts the airflow.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 05-21-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #332
azshorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Correction?

Did you even read what he was asking? Of course you run the Puller fan off the Pusher fans OEM plug. You cannot run both electric fans at the same time from the OEM plug. Remove the Mechanical fan and Pusher fan, install the BEHR or BOSCH Electric fan and that's it...Done.

Don't leave the pusher fan installed as it restricts the airflow.
Made multiple posts.
But you stand correct my friend.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #333
scook

My Ride: 02 325CI
Hello all,
I just did this mod last week. I had to replace all the belts and belt tensioners along with the thermostat and water pump. I got 1 MPG more with this mod taking the same trip that I took 3 weeks ago to NC. That is with AC on this past weekend, but 3 weeks ago I did not need ac. But other than that, and it is quieter, I did not notice any performance gains. I did not think that I would anyway. It will be in the 90's here this week, while this is not a true test, it should be a good one.
scook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #334
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
I just read another thread with someone's mech fan exploding.... then just ordered the electric fan and plastic rivets shortly after.... won't put it off any longer, feel like I'm living on borrowed time.

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #335
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
well worth it. Most cases of the mechanical fans disintegrating is due to worn engine mounts, but regardless the benefits of the electric fan alone outweigh the mechanical.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #336
Yewzer B Lewzer

DIY: Aux/mechanical fan to electric fan swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
well worth it. Most cases of the mechanical fans disintegrating is due to worn engine mounts, but regardless the benefits of the electric fan alone outweigh the mechanical.
Thanks for this thread Jake, I will report back after I have been running with it for a while with my thoughts. I've always been an electric fan proponent, heck I've even upgraded my 39 year old jeep to electric.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #337
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Hell yea, let us know!
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #338
-ForceFed-

My Ride: S40 T5 / E46 M3
Read through the entire thread and have gathered that this mod can be done to an E46 M3...

However, are there any confirmed installs?

The aux fan on the M3 as far as I can tell is purely for a/c. Thus as long as this electric fan pulls the same CFM's as the mechanical there shouldn't be any issues. Aside from whether the assemblies are the same between the other models.

If this doesn't work I will retrofit a SPAL like other M owners have done. I would just prefer a clean OE fitment like this.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #339
Yewzer B Lewzer

DIY: Aux/mechanical fan to electric fan swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Hell yea, let us know!
Ok, done. Now for my objective opinion of this mod:
Has it been referred to as "the best freakin' mod ever" yet?
If not, that is a travesty, because it is. Just sayin'

Before
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1371230107.371051.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	511012

Son helping

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1371230142.233989.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	511013

All ready to install

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1371230193.016321.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	511014

Back together

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1371230230.547700.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	511015

The only bitch is, as expected, getting the old mechanical fan off.

Before mod, Mack Truck sound and 23.3 MPG.
After mod, quiet and smooth, will report MPG after a few tanks.

Using ElmScan I checked temperature before and after both with AC and without AC, no difference.

I will be adding a trans cooler at a later date just because. Edit: I have decided NOT to do the trans cooler. The reason is the engine coolant temp is the same, so the factory heat exchanger will cool the trans the same as before the fan swap. Also, I have since learned that the trans heat exchanger is actually doing a lot to try to maintain the proper (not too cool, not too hot) trans fluid temp, so adding a cooler may interfere with this.

Thanks Jake and kpeng for bringing this mod to my attention.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 08-31-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #340
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

FYI: Been driving without the Mechanical fan for over a month. I'm getting exactly 1 mile more per gallon.
I recently did my entire cooling system and man was it nice not having to remove that Mechanical fan!

Tags
aux, auxiliary, behr, bosch, bumper, clutch, damage, electric, engine, explode, fan, hood, mechanical, mount, mounts, removal, swap