E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #3101
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
People have this high perception of law enforcement that all are good shooters and all are into guns. The truth is there are many that carry a gun daily, suck at shooting. Its a shame, you would think more would take pride in their profession and try and learn and excel at this aspect of the job. Its even worse on my side of the house in the fed that some people just dont care. We have a lot of training and oppurtunities to shoot, learn, and excel but most dont take advantage of it. Like Reedo we shoot once a quarter too, and for some that is all they do as far as training.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #3102
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The level of proficiency for cops is generally pretty low. It's about the same as what I experienced in the Army where people knew how to shoot and clean their own weapons, but very few knew more than that. Coming from the Army world, I was already accustomed to this. Unfortunately, I've been called to many traffic stops to clear guns that other officers couldn't due to lack of technical skill. Most officers pass qual the first time, and our required passing score percentage is 90%. If we actually instituted a time limit/standard, our qualification scores would probably drop by 25%. Probably 75% of the officers in my department only shoot when they are mandated to by the department.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #3103
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
The General AR Discussion Thread

Reedo, as always thanks for the insider input. I'm curious, what guns have you been called to clear for other LEOs?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #3104
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The level of proficiency for cops is generally pretty low. It's about the same as what I experienced in the Army where people knew how to shoot and clean their own weapons, but very few knew more than that. Coming from the Army world, I was already accustomed to this. Unfortunately, I've been called to many traffic stops to clear guns that other officers couldn't due to lack of technical skill. Most officers pass qual the first time, and our required passing score percentage is 90%. If we actually instituted a time limit/standard, our qualification scores would probably drop by 25%. Probably 75% of the officers in my department only shoot when they are mandated to by the department.
what i don't understand is that these officers are given a tool that could very well probably save thier or someone else's life. why wouldn't they want to make sure that they are proficient in using and understanding these tools?

one of my LE buddies absolutely HATES guns. he does the job because he likes helping people and if he could do it w/o the gun, he would. he only practices when his dept makes him and he really doesnt touch it otherwise.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #3105
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Reedo, as always thanks for the insider input. I'm curious, what guns have you been called to clear for other LEOs?

A couple of Springfield XDs, a 1911, and the rest were general pocket rockets pulled off hoodlums. It's basically where there's a pull of the slide, no movement, so they call me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
what i don't understand is that these officers are given a tool that could very well probably save thier or someone else's life. why wouldn't they want to make sure that they are proficient in using and understanding these tools?

one of my LE buddies absolutely HATES guns. he does the job because he likes helping people and if he could do it w/o the gun, he would. he only practices when his dept makes him and he really doesnt touch it otherwise.
Why wouldn't they? We ask this every time. Every single kind of training I've ever been to that is about officer safety and tactics stresses over and over that officers need to be proficient with their guns, need to be in shape so they can survive a fight, need to be safe in driving so they don't kill themselves. Goes in one ear, and for about 80% it goes right out the other. So, you wind up seeing fat cops that don't shoot and drive like idiots.

Cops that want to help people is fine, but your buddy sounds like some people I've met in my life. People who really shouldn't be cops at all. They don't possess "the mean gene". They're the "Stop! or I'll say 'stop' again!" cops. We have had two of them on my department. One is still with us, the other isn't. It is what it is. If it works for him and his agency, then it's not an issue I guess.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #3106
Sentaruu

Quote:
A couple of Springfield XDs, a 1911, and the rest were general pocket rockets pulled off hoodlums. It's basically where there's a pull of the slide, no movement, so they call me.

Why wouldn't they? We ask this every time. Every single kind of training I've ever been to that is about officer safety and tactics stresses over and over that officers need to be proficient with their guns, need to be in shape so they can survive a fight, need to be safe in driving so they don't kill themselves. Goes in one ear, and for about 80% it goes right out the other. So, you wind up seeing fat cops that don't shoot and drive like idiots.

Cops that want to help people is fine, but your buddy sounds like some people I've met in my life. People who really shouldn't be cops at all. They don't possess "the mean gene". They're the "Stop! or I'll say 'stop' again!" cops. We have had two of them on my department. One is still with us, the other isn't. It is what it is. If it works for him and his agency, then it's not an issue I guess.
oh he has the mean gene alright. i dated his daughter for 3 years so i would know. haha. but i get what your saying. he's never had to shoot anyone but i know hes drawn on dozens of people and that he would shoot if he has to. he's got two girls and a wife. which is why i never understood why he wouldnt put more effort into his firearms training.

he is actually about to finally go out on disability i believe. he got t-boned on his way to court by a drunk driver. he suffered major spinal and brain injuries and the doctors didnt know if he was going to live, let alone walk again. 8 months later he was back on the job. they had to "re-pipe" the man. they took veins and shit from other parts of his body to run to his legs and put all sorts of metal in him. hes even got a prosthetic foot. i call him robo cop, he gets so pissed.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #3107
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
The General AR Discussion Thread

Quote:

that's sad.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #3108
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Yikes....

The fact that I shoot my hunting rifle more than a cop shoots his pistol scares me...
Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #3109
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I'm trying to decide between another Battlecomp or the new BCM Gunfighter Compensator. I've only read reviews, but I've had no first hand experience with the BCM. Have any of you shot the BCM?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #3110
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Picked up a Spikes Lower for $125 shipped. Not bad for this climate.

Could be my .22 conversion.

I need to focus on my main AR before I keep getting side tracked. !

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 05-17-2013 at 11:17 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #3111
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I'm trying to decide between another Battlecomp or the new BCM Gunfighter Compensator. I've only read reviews, but I've had no first hand experience with the BCM. Have any of you shot the BCM?
I would give the Gunfighter a chance. I have yet to shoot one, so I'm curious and may pick one up to try out.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #3112
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Colt Competition .308....comes with some nice features...adjustable gas block, geissele 2 stage trigger, prs stock...msrp around $3k..

http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/...delCRL-20.aspx
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #3113
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Colt Competition .308....comes with some nice features...adjustable gas block, geissele 2 stage trigger, prs stock...msrp around $3k..

http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/...delCRL-20.aspx

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #3114
viper7180

My Ride: 06' M3
I'd like to get some opinions/input on my first ar build. I'll be using the firearm for target/plinking, defense. My current plan for parts is as follows..

Noveske Gen 2 Chainsaw lower (purchase)
Spikes lpk w/o fcg (purchased)
ALG Defense combat trigger
Vltor IMod stock kit (I'll have to pin for NJ compliance)
Still debating on a grip. Either the BCM gunfighter or Hogue.

I could use some help/input with the upper.

I'm looking at some BMC uppers. Any muzzle device would need to be pinned/welded per NJ laws.

Option 1
BCM 16" mid-length flat top upper with Gunfighter mod 0 comp
Or
BCM 14.5" mid-length flat top with gunfighter mod 1 comp

Charging handle and BCG would also be BCM items. I'm flexible for the type of hand guard and BUIS. Also I was planning on a black/foliage green color scheme.

Last edited by viper7180; 05-23-2013 at 07:41 PM.
viper7180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #3115
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper7180 View Post
I
Option 1
Or
For your purposes and the laws that you are stuck with, either will suit you just fine. Just pick your choice of handguard.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #3116
Reedo302

Quote:
ALG Defense combat trigger
The only difference between the ACT and QMS is that the ACT has a nickel boron (NiB) coating. If you are trying to save money on the trigger, you can save an additional $20 by getting the QMS and you will get the exact same trigger. I know that they mention that testing shows the NiB causes a crisper sear break when firing, but the difference is negligible and the average person cannot tell the difference.

Why I mention saving money is because the ACT and QMS were designed specifically for LE applications where there is a need to adhere to a mandatory minimum trigger pull weight. It's a trigger that is better than a normal mil-spec trigger, especially since the average mil-spec trigger comes in at around 7-8lbs pull weight. However, the ALG triggers are still very much mil-spec in their feel, and it's a very subtle enhancement over stock. If you are trying to cut costs, it's a good way to get a decent trigger for not a lot of money.
HOWEVER, if saving money is not as big of an issue, I would highly recommend that you go with a full-blown Geissele trigger. Particuarly, the SSA trigger. A couple of us here have Geissele triggers, and everyone will tell you how drastic of a difference they are compared to mil-spec. If that is something you'd be interested in, I would highly recommend it.

But, like I said, the ALG triggers are still good quality. Nothing really "match" feeling, but a good down and dirty simple trigger system.

Quote:
Still debating on a grip. Either the BCM gunfighter or Hogue.
Have you ever held a 1911 pistol? If so, and you liked the grip angle, get the BCM.
Having spent time on the range with numerous grips, the more vertical/upright grip angle of the BCM is a lot more comfortable for the wrist, and causes a lot less fatigue.
I know a couple people who used to run Hogues, and I've tried them myself, but I'm really not a big fan. But then and again, the grip is a very personal thing. It's all about your personal tastes and what you want out of your grip.

Quote:

Option 1
Or
I made a video about the differences between the two, but if you go with a 16" system, you're going to get one that is going to be a bit more reliable. The main issue is that the 14.5" middy is less tolerant of ammunition variations. BCM rifles are designed to run with milspec 5.56 ammo, not .223 target loads. The 16" will still cycle the lighter loads, but the 14.5" may give you trouble if you start shooting weaker stuff like PMC Bronze, or the Russian Wolfshit steel case stuff.
Also, from an armorer's perspective, the 14.5" is a pain in the nuts to work on because the muzzle device is pinned and welded in place and cannot be removed easily. If you want to change handguards or do any work, you're sort of up shit creek. The 16" is a non-NFA length, so you don't have to pin/weld the muzzle device. Easy servicing.

Food for thought. Either way, BCM is top notch.

Quote:
Charging handle and BCG would also be BCM items. I'm flexible for the type of hand guard and BUIS. Also I was planning on a black/foliage green color scheme.
Whatever you get, go with a freefloat handguard/rail. Daniel Defense is my favorite, but Centurion, Fortis, Noveske, Geissele, LaRue, KAC, PRI and a couple others are very high quality as well. Determine if you want a tube style, full rail, or a stripped/modular keymod style hybrid, and go from there.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #3117
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Re: The General AR Discussion Thread

Cliff notes of above with what i like
16" bcm upper over the 14.5"
Geissele ssa
Bcm gunfighter grip
Free float rails i have Daniel defense, geissele, fortis,seekins...my next rail will be either the new centurion cmr or another geissele

The beauty of ars you cab make them fit you perfectly, with 1000 options for each part of the gun
Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #3118
Sentaruu

that new fortis is a good looking rail.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #3119
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
that new fortis is a good looking rail.
super light too...really nice..I should have my build completed soon with it and ill post pictures
Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #3120
Sentaruu

sounds good. i have a spare upper i was thinking of tearing apart and making a dedicated .22lr upper and had a fortis rail in mind. its a toss up, i really like my nsr and was torn between another one of those or the fortis.