E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
BMW FIRE in Airport. Probably because of Angel Eyes im guessing

BMW fire at Sea-Tac Airport

Quote:
SEATAC, Wash. — Eight cars were destroyed and 10 others were damaged when a fire broke out in the Sea-Tac Airport parking garage.
The fire on the sixth floor of the garage was reported at 6:45 a.m. Tuesday when a officer in the garage noticed smoke and rushed to the area.
He was met by a wall of flames and smoke, but was able to get close enough to determine that no one was in the vehicles.
KIRO 7 News video showed firefighters in the garage where cars were charred and smoldering.
The cars were parked in Row C of the north end of the sixth floor near the blue elevator.
The fire is believed to be caused by a mechanical failure. There are no signs of foul play.
Airport staff will use license plates to contact the vehicles' owners.
Some vehicle owners found out themselves, seeing video and pictures of their cars online.
Christina posted on Facebook , "You can see my car in the pics. Yay - welcome back present when I get to the airport tomorrow. "
Besides the 18 cars most seriously damaged, dozens more were coated in soot and likely have smoke damage.
The Port of Seattle put letters on the windshields of all of those vehicles explaining what happened.
An airport spokesman said early damage estimates were at $250,000.
No one was hurt.
The fire also set off warning signals for security officials.
"We've got to make sure when we see any kinds of incidents, they might not be connected to anything else domestically or internationally,” said Perry Cooper, Airport Spokesperson.
Federal agencies including the FBI, Homeland Security, and Transportation Security Administration were notified.
Fire investigators later determined there was no security threat. They believe a mechanical problem in a BMW sparked the fire. The driver parked Tuesday morning, and the fire possibly spread through an oil or gasoline leak.
"This situation .. we didn't see any more kind of red flag, terrorist situation because it's in the middle of a garage, away from a terminal,” said Cooper. “There did not appear to be any kind of explosion or detonation, anything like that."
The garage has no sprinkler systems, so airport firefighters rely on a stand pipe system, vertical pipes that run up through the structure.
Fire trucks hook up to those pipes at the base and pump-in the water, and then firefighters on each floor hook up hoses to the valves to get that water to fight the flames.
"The airport has a lot of security, but we don't have surveillance cameras in the garage," said Cooper.
"Why?,” asked Schugel.
“You know, if we had unlimited money, I'm sure that would be something we'd look at," said Cooper.
Cooper said thousands of cameras would be needed to cover a garage with 13,000 parking spaces.
He also notes that the garage has very low crime.
"This is very unusual for us,” he said.
It's the first time fire's destroyed multiple cars at Sea-Tac Airport, inside the world's largest parking garage under one roof.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/car-...-garage/nXcFt/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Fire-airport.JPG
Views:	982
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	503398  

Last edited by tim330i; 05-01-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1367446317
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
quality has really gone downhill with these cars.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Where does it say fire started by a BMW

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback.
Mods To Come: Stage 1+ APR Chip, 18" Lambo reps, OBX headers.
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
Quote:
Fire investigators later determined there was no security threat. They believe a mechanical problem in a BMW sparked the fire. The driver parked Tuesday morning, and the fire possibly spread through an oil or gasoline leak.
says clearly from link

Last edited by bry330i; 05-01-2013 at 04:03 PM.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
Quote:
They believe a mechanical problem in a BMW sparked the fire. The driver parked Tuesday morning, and the fire possibly spread through an oil or gasoline leak
About midway down the piece. Sentence starts "Fire Investigators later..."

Edit: Beat me to it

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.

Last edited by IdahoToyo; 05-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Thanks Obama
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Probably related to expansion tank.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
BMW licence plate : 2HOT4U
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Avetiso

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
You should know better than to park next to a BMW. It probably felt all offended and annoyed by all those other brands and decided it didn't want to live anymore; and it was going to take them to the salvage yard with it!
Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote