E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
Smile Thinking about potentially owning/running Smog Test Only in Sacramento, CA.

I have been contemplating about this for a while as I work for a corporate company with the typical 8-5 schedule and feeling underpaid just like a lot of Americans. Are any of you out there experienced in this field of work or ownership? I would like to know what the break down of running a Test Only shop would be (i.e. Profit & Loss). Thanks!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-

Last edited by Kris.R; 03-12-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Sac town?

That would be a good front for the buying and selling of stolen air bags lol...
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
sweetbro858

Overhead with rent would be the deal breaker. Not sure how much you can afford to lease/buy a commercial property for, but IMO that would be the biggest hurdle.

Advertising and marketing would be cake with adwords and google places.

You could always work nights and weekends for a month or two at a smog shop to see how they run the place.

Research the market and make yourself unique.

Last edited by sweetbro858; 03-18-2013 at 09:22 PM.
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Kris.R

^ Thanks for the advice bro. I've found a few places where the rent is uner $1,000 but obivously the location is not very exposed to main streets..

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Dont you need some expensive equipment and isnt it quite regulated? I think thats a big barrier to entry for competition which is nice.

Then again, youre also going to need to lower costs to break into the market. You cant really differentiate yourself unless you have an underground reputation for being greasable. But thats risky.

I honestly dont see too much money in it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App

Last edited by Keno; 03-23-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
sweetbro858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris.R View Post
^ Thanks for the advice bro. I've found a few places where the rent is uner $1,000 but obivously the location is not very exposed to main streets..
Well, not sure where in Sac you are talking about. But most people will go to the internet, or maybe old fashion types will look in the yellow pages.

For example: https://www.google.com/search?q=fols...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Google Places is free, you just need to confirm your address. If you display coupons on your site, or have something unique about your shop, people will come. Adwords brah.

I'm actually trying to find a place to smog my car today lol! But it's easter sunday so I dunno.

You always have a market for the modded cars with illegal pipes, everyone needs a favor
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Can you smog my car if I take out the cats?
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Can you smog my car if I take out the cats?

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
cpepe831

My Ride: '02 330i
Starting you're own business is a very large undertaking, and maintaining it is even more challenging. As an entrepreneur, my advice is to go work in the industry for a little bit and see if it's for you. You may not have time for that, but in either case you need to gather as much information about that industry as possible, so you can properly project financial P/L. I work in the restaurant / hospitality business not the automotive business, but i can tell you that location is going to be paramount. You need to estimate financials for your particular market area, so gather as much local empirical data as possible. I can't give you any numbers for the smog industry, but you might think about subscribing to CoStar, at least for a bit, to gather information on real estate, rent rates, vacancy rates, general demographic information, etc. Crunch the numbers carefully, consider all the factors, and decide if it's truly what you want to spend your time doing. I wish you luck sir, the 8-5 wasn't for me either...My other small piece of advice as a small business owner is to employ as few people as possible, without killing yourself, figuratively that is, just sayin'...
cpepe831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Kris.R

^ Best advice so far. Appreciate it cpepe831!!

-Abraham Lincoln-