E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Draw up your plans or work with a company that will draw your plans for you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
^ This. Get an architect or buy a set of pre-made plans and then find a general contractor to quote you on the plans. You'll obviously also need some land to build on.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
def a dream of mine one day.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I'd love to build a house one day. Unfortunately I cannot afford to build one in area that I find desirable.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Don't mean to drag this out forever..........lol...........but one thing that should be considered that is rarely even given a single thought is the placement of HVAC. That is the biggest gripe I have about my current home. I thought about this last night when the fan cut on and I heard it for the umpteenth time.

In my home, the AC unit is about 10 feet behind my bedroom window and the blower unit is in a closet outside my master bedroom.

When the fan cuts on my AC unit I can hear it blow and then 3 seconds later it clicks on in the blower unit outside my bedroom.

Then I have to listen to both of them blow. Then I can hear the AC unit cut off and then 5 seconds later the blower cuts off.

I can't tell you how much I HATE this.

Make sure you use some forethought to determine where the AC unit is going to be as well as the blower and hot water heater.

Make sure that they are not just centrally located, but they are quiet and non intrusive.

Otherwise, it is hard to enjoy all the other attributes of your home if something as annoying as a hvac unit is chipping away at the harmony of your home.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 05-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #25
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Don't mean to drag this out forever..........lol...........but one thing that should be considered that is rarely even given a single thought is the placement of HVAC. That is the biggest gripe I have about my current home. I thought about this last night when the fan cut on and I heard it for the umpteenth time.

In my home, the AC unit is about 10 feet behind my bedroom window and the blower unit is in a closet outside my master bedroom.

When the fan cuts on my AC unit I can hear it blow and then 3 seconds later it clicks on in the blower unit outside my bedroom.

Then I have to listen to both of them blow. Then I can hear the AC unit cut off and then 5 seconds later the blower cuts off.

I can't tell you how much I HATE this.

Make sure you use some forethought to determine where the AC unit is going to be as well as the blower and hot water heater.

Make sure that they are not just centrally located, but they are quiet and non intrusive.

Otherwise, it is hard to enjoy all the other attributes of your home if something as annoying as a hvac unit is chipping away at the harmony of your home.
this is true. you know, if it bothers you a lot it would just take a few hundred to move the condenser somewhere less noticeable.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Daddye46328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
Re: new house plans must have

I suggest taking pictures of the bare walls just before the drywall goes. They will come in handy down the road when repairs are needed. If you ever sell the house for any reason, I'm sure these will be a nice incentive for ANY buyer.

I think someone already mentioned it but run double data cables, just in case.

My electrician (my brother) installed these orange tunes in the walls my tvs are hung on. Made it easy to run hidden cables from the receivers to the tvs. Makes it easy to change the cables if need be.

It's not a must have but a two person shower is ......um......fun.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Daddye46328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
Garage - biggest you can go..make it tall so you can put in a lift. Needs to be a certain thickness and type of concrete to support.

Electrical - put in yard for Christmas lights ( island if circle drive), at corners of roof line, flood lamps on each corner. Outlets down hallway at floor for led nightime lights. Setup 220 in garage for air compressor, also for plug in hybrid car, power on wall behind TV.

Cabling - put in cat 6 at corners of house for video security system (POE). 2 data connections per room back to a center spot.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #28
Albert1234

My Ride: nothing
Good to hear that you are adopting a new house plan. I will like to give a small advice. You can avail security doors for your home for imparting the best protection to your family members.
Albert1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
this is true. you know, if it bothers you a lot it would just take a few hundred to move the condenser somewhere less noticeable.
Sometimes it is not practical and proper design would avoid the situation.

BTW, I don't know how many tornadoes you get in Minnesota but you might want to consider a storm shelter or a safety room. Last week we had 15 tornadoes touch down in one town, 30m south of here and 6 people died.
Many homes were stripped bare to the foundation. One man died while he laid on top of his mother trying to shield her and they both died. All you need to do is build a concrete block perimeter around an interior closet and use a concrete roof and a steel door for entry. There are several ways to do it. Some people have them in their garage. It is not that expensive, considering the cost of a new home. I am sure the residents of Granbury wish they had one.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 05-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert1234 View Post
Good to hear that you are adopting a new house plan. I will like to give a small advice. You can avail security doors for your home for imparting the best protection to your family members.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
I didn't read what others posted . . but here are a few things I'd want if I were starting from scratch (We have some of these):

Big closets - really big.
Dual sinks in master bathroom.
Appliance cubbies in the kitchen - a place where you can slide your coffee maker, toaster, etc. Make it big or have multiple cubbies.
Big walk in pantry.
Plenty of outdoor outlets and frost free spigots, including outlets and spigots near any entertaining areas or areas where you might put a workshop or garden.
3 car oversized garage with floor to ceiling oversized shelving.
Oversized master bedroom - with room for a seating/reading area and a treadmill. Our bedroom runs the width of the house, has room for a giant treadmill, a couch, a door out to the deck and plenty of extra space so we never feel cramped - and it's awesome.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote