E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Please explain the "sponsor" thing to me.

I just don't get it. You post up some pictures of your car on a forum and dudes just hand you sh(t for free? seems legit.
Not at all. Most of those groups providing parts require a solid return on investment via marketing, attendance at events, or your car being used as a display vehicle. Meguiars is a solid example. Not only did they want a sticker on the windshield of the vehicle, but they also wanted me to attend an event on their behalf and have my vehicle as their display car... did this at Carlisle.

AEM and Prosport wanted photos of the finished product for marketing purposes. ATI just gave me a discount on parts rather than handing them over free of charge.

Most of these groups are willing to work with those who modify their car but they essentially require two things :

- ROI : What will you be able to provide in return for them helping with cost (could be magazine coverage, event attendance, etc)
- Professionalism : I feel like a lot of people shoot themselves in the foot by making demands and approaching things from their perspective.. me me me me... instead, use social networking tools (LinkedIn for example) to locate the head of the marketing department at a company.. figure out what their goals are from a high level and how you can fit into those. One of my better agreements was through Rotora and resulted from them having a tiny presence in the E46 market. By providing parts for my vehicle, I was able to expose a lot of people to their product and, in turn, they were able to locate new customers. In fact, Rotora had 4 orders within a month of me posting up an article on here about their product.. each one informed their team they had seen it featured on here.

So how can you professionally sell your value to a company and respectfully request their assistance in return? That's the goal.

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
That's a great question.. I need to do a few things in the coming months :

- Clutch. I've got 138k on the factory clutch and with the additional power, it's lifespan has been cut significantly. The good news is I drive like an old woman and, so long as I'm babying it, the clutch should hold out. The big question becomes what clutch do I swap it with when the time comes? Part of me just wants to throw a factory clutch back in for the driveability. It won't perform perfectly but would "work" well. Yes, you need a new clutch. An OE clutch/flywheel might work well for a short period of time, but it will be prone to quick failure based on its new load. I'd recommend the UUC Stage 2 w/ Performance Organic Clutch, it's not cheap but it's completely proven to work under these conditions. Do it right the first time. http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/light...dels-p285.aspx

- Diff : Issue here is that if I put in an M3 diff, I believe I would have to swap out the entire subframe... and the problem with that results from the fact that I already did the subframe reinforcement kit. I believe that would make it a huge pain to swap out the diff. No, leave this stock.

- Pistons, rods, head gasket : I did the head gasket something like 15-20k miles ago but imagine it will also have a limited lifespan with boost pressures. Part of me wants to pull the motor when that time comes and rebuild the bottom with forged pistons, rings, and perhaps sleeve the motor (though I haven't really looked into this as much). Also, could add the head gasket that TT uses along with the longer head studs/bolts. No, don't touch anything until you have a problem. You know....don't fix it, if it's not broken.

Transmission : I hope the 5 speed holds out and harnesses the power.. if it becomes and issue, I think there are a couple other options I could look into. The only problem I face now is that, with a short second gear, I slam through 1-3 wayyyy too quickly. The amazing thing about the power is how smoothly it hits and, even while driving like miss daisy, how quickly I'm hitting 70-80 mph. One headache is that, at 80, I'm around 3500 rpms.. would prefer that to be a bit lower.Again, don't do anything, that 5 speed will hold all day long. Gearing, I wouldn't touch that either. Those RPM numbers sound real good, but hears a BMW gear calculator for you to play with. http://www.bokchoys.com/differential...calculator.htm
Also, what brand Dyno are you on?

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
ca5ua1ty

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Please update your signature pic with that gorgeous intercooler. I'm sure i will be beating a dead horse on this one, but what did you do for the dual exhuast set up?

ca5ua1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #24
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
FYI Chase, you need to get an Eisenmann.
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #25
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
congrats CHase!

"I catch you in my dreams, just me and you. But you seem confused, I'm not trying to break the rules.
So why do you feel the way that you do? So why do you feel the way that you do?"

2014 LA Autoshow FB Gallery
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5ua1ty View Post
Please update your signature pic with that gorgeous intercooler. I'm sure i will be beating a dead horse on this one, but what did you do for the dual exhuast set up?
I definitely am a sucker for the intercooler. The oil cooler on top just pushes it over the top

As for the exhaust, I think this thread will make you happy : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=muffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post
FYI Chase, you need to get an Eisenmann.
Eisenmann sounds excellent but with the work we did to the rear bumper and the exhaust fabrication required to make all that stuff fit, I don't think we'll be swapping out mufflers any time soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
congrats CHase!
Thanks bud

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
Car turned out VERY nice man!. I love it!. I'm having misfiring issues as well at full boost at the end of 2nd gear when switching into 3rd occasionally and that's with colder plugs. My ignition coils have also been replaced. At this point it's got to be injectors or fuel pump in my opinion. So might want to keep those two things in mind. But since your kit was designed with the current injectors and fuel pump your issue may be just the spark plugs. Try out the Denso IK22's like I recommended, there cheap and worth trying just to see if that fixes your issue.
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
Wow....what a beautiful car. Deff an inspiration to all of us with e46's. Can't pick one thing that can be critiqued about the car. Great job.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
BobbyC

Oops, my bad. You mentioned AFR's being 12,13,14 across the board. Please tell me that was NOT under boost. Assuming that your fuel system is up to par, I would start with one, maybe two steps colder on the plugs and gap them down. If 93 is available in your area, see if you can tune it safely w/out meth. 11.5 is as high as I would like to see on a street car for afr's, tuned safely.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
Oops, my bad. You mentioned AFR's being 12,13,14 across the board. Please tell me that was NOT under boost. Assuming that your fuel system is up to par, I would start with one, maybe two steps colder on the plugs and gap them down. If 93 is available in your area, see if you can tune it safely w/out meth. 11.5 is as high as I would like to see on a street car for afr's, tuned safely.
11.5 afr is running rather rich. 14.7 is ideal and perfect. His numbers are fine and afr bounces all over the place when idle, pressing the gas slightly or slamming the gas. When in full open throttle if it reads to about 14 that's perfect. I do agree he should get some colder plugs though to see if it resolves the misfire issue.
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 05-21-2013 at 06:44 PM.
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
#1.... all that to get to 300rwhp...
#2.... Quoted numbers have to be at WOT for afr.
#3.... Are you using any dataloger? If so can i take a look at your maf curve and hego1,2 data?
#4.... Ive tuned to 12.5 at wot on a non boosted car... you probably want to go fatter to be safe.

Last edited by Nerdy46; 05-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #32
BobbyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
11.5 afr is running rather rich. 14.7 is ideal and perfect. His numbers are fine and afr bounces all over the place when idle, pressing the gas slightly or slamming the gas. When in full open throttle if it reads to about 14 that's perfect. I do agree he should get some colder plugs though to see if it resolves the misfire issue.

You can't really tune using a wideband for idle if you have cams with too much overlap. It will throw it off. Better read the plugs...

BUT....wait....14:1 under boost at WOT??? You typed that wrong, right??
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
Nerdy46

Quote:
You can't really tune using a wideband for idle if you have cams with too much overlap. It will throw it off. Better read the plugs...

BUT....wait....14:1 under boost at WOT??? You typed that wrong, right??
You cant really tune for crap at idle with a wideband. Any sort of overlap and you can see rich conditions. It also depends on the placement of your wide band. Depth, distance, etc. Ive always tuned by feel for start and idle, that or played with the adaptive values a tad. However one time i got stuck chasing a lazy 02 sensor... Didnt realize till later in the day when i replayed the logs...

Also im not sure what software is being used... or much about tuning e46's at all for that matter. But it would be nice to get a fuel saving tune... it made a big difference on my other car.

Last edited by Nerdy46; 05-21-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #34
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Nice ride, I love unique colors and the green absolutely looks great. Is it called British Racing Green or what is the actual colors name?

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
BobbyC

Quote:
I'm having misfiring issues as well at full boost at the end of 2nd gear when switching into 3rd occasionally and that's with colder plugs. My ignition coils have also been replaced. At this point it's got to be injectors or fuel pump in my opinion. So might want to keep those two things in mind. But since your kit was designed with the current injectors and fuel pump your issue may be just the spark plugs. Try out the Denso IK22's like I recommended, there cheap and worth trying just to see if that fixes your issue.
Quote:
You really wonder why you are having misfire issues??? Let me drop you a hint, YOU'RE RUNNING TOO LEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't really say if it's the injectors or fuel pump until you know the injector duty cycle. Unless his injector duty cycle is nearing 85 percent, I would not worry about the injectors, unless his fuel pump drops pressure under boost, I would not worry about that either.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Sick nasty!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #37
Nerdy46

Quote:
You really wonder why you are having misfire issues??? Let me drop you a hint, YOU'RE RUNNING TOO LEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't really say if it's the injectors or fuel pump until you know the injector duty cycle. Unless his injector duty cycle is nearing 85 percent, I would not worry about the injectors, unless his fuel pump drops pressure under boost, I would not worry about that either.
Thats way to lean... way way lean..
Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #38
BobbyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy46 View Post
You cant really tune for crap at idle with a wideband. Any sort of overlap and you can see rich conditions. It also depends on the placement of your wide band. Depth, distance, etc. Ive always tuned by feel for start and idle, that or played with the adaptive values a tad. However one time i got stuck chasing a lazy 02 sensor... Didnt realize till later in the day when i replayed the logs...

Also im not sure what software is being used... or much about tuning e46's at all for that matter. But it would be nice to get a fuel saving tune... it made a big difference on my other car.
Yeah, I mentioned overlap. But 14 or so at WOT under boost is crazy by anyone's standard. I see your sig, you're playing with the Quarter Horse, right??? Nice little tuning device. Has it's limits like a TwEEcer, but it's nice. Let's not high jack this dude's thread, he built a hell of a car. I would hate to see him melt it down by taking some dumb advice about tuning at WOT and boost for a 14:1 AFR.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #39
Nerdy46

Quote:
Please stop spreading misinformation...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #40
Nerdy46

Quote:
Yeah, I mentioned overlap. But 14 or so at WOT under boost is crazy by anyone's standard. I see your sig, you're playing with the Quarter Horse, right??? Nice little tuning device. Has it's limits like a TwEEcer, but it's nice. Let's not high jack this dude's thread, he built a hell of a car. I would hate to see him melt it down by taking some dumb advice about tuning at WOT and boost for a 14:1 AFR.
Nailed it. Binary and EEC Editor.

Beautiful car indeed... But if you are running 14's at wot... all it takes is one cold morning and boom....

Last edited by Nerdy46; 05-21-2013 at 08:57 PM.