E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Reedo, what are you people doing up there?!

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...206857491.html

I haven't bought ammo in a while, but is this what its coming to?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
About a month ago I had to supply some for LEO requalifications, They were forcing the officers to bring there own ammo and nobody had any.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
Proctor is a tiny town. Their website says they are 3 square miles and have 4 cops, 1 Sgt, and their chief. I wouldn't think they would need much ammo to run qual shoot, but it looks like they have learned not to let their supply dwindle to the last few boxes.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
Proctor is a tiny town. Their website says they are 3 square miles and have 4 cops, 1 Sgt, and their chief. I wouldn't think they would need much ammo to run qual shoot, but it looks like they have learned not to let their supply dwindle to the last few boxes.
I'm sure that's a town that everyone knows everyone and the officers are related to a bunch of people.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 05-18-2013 at 05:21 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Re: Reedo, what are you people doing up there?!

They apparently are not aware of the internet or gunbot. I'm sure overpaying 50% or so from "normal" prices won't really hurt a leo division. If you want ammo its there you just have to be willing to be gouged for it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I went to Streicher's Police Supply (policehq.com) last Friday to get a pair of pants hemmed. They're a major ammunition supplier for LE. They literally had no pistol ammo in stock.
Ammo supply issues is one of the reason why I was against a switch from the Glock 22 to the 17. We just can't get ammo in quantity here.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 05-20-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Why do you need to go to a Police supply store to get your pants hemmed? Is there some sort of Tactical stitching involved that a regular tailor can't do?

Regulations?

Or is "Pant's hemmed" police code for something else?
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
If your gunshop offered that survice you would go elsewhere?
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Why do you need to go to a Police supply store to get your pants hemmed? Is there some sort of Tactical stitching involved that a regular tailor can't do?

Regulations?

Or is "Pant's hemmed" police code for something else?
Public safety supply stores (Streichers does LE, security, Fire and EMS) have a lot of experience with the respective services and what is expected from their equipment and design. I've gone to normal alterations shops in the past, but you have to spend 5 minutes explaining crap to them to get them to understand that everything needs to be beefed up and how to adjust the pants correctly and all that. I walk into Streichers or another place and say "I want ____ altered" and I can speak the lingo to them and get the info out in about 15 seconds and get back what I asked for.
Most LE won't go to a non-LE place unless they have experience, because we want to deal with people who actually understand what we're talking about.

But more to the point, I bought the pants there and they did the hems in the first place, so I had them correct it. It took 2 minutes and it was free. Plus, it's 5 minutes from my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
The LE store I go to most is Streichers, and they sell guns and ammo. The prices they have are all the "blue label" prices, which most gun shops are not privy to. Streichers is an authorized LE dealer for S&W, Kahr, Kimber, Sig, Springfield Armory, BCM, LWRC, AI, DPMS ( ) and a couple others. Because of that place and the internet, I rarely go to actual gun shops anymore.
Bill's Gun Shop, the major indepenent place in the metro, had their own LE supply business in their basement for a while, but they ran it into the ground and it went under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
It was a budgeting issue where they were only able to buy enough ammo for the near future. They don't have the budget to do what we do in the metro where many LE agencies are sitting on a 5-10 year supply. By the time Proctor was able to buy ammo, there was none available on the market. Poor planning most definitely, but it was the fault of the bureacracy from what I understand.

Case in point, my agency has been "situation critical" with AR mags for 10+ months, but we only got authorized to get replacement mags in December. After SANDY HOOK! Yep, just got our order's shipping confirmation today.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 05-23-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Well I don't own any "tactical apparel", so yes, I'd go elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Public safety supply stores (Streichers does LE, security, Fire and EMS) have a lot of experience with the respective services and what is expected from their equipment and design. I've gone to normal alterations shops in the past, but you have to spend 5 minutes explaining crap to them to get them to understand that everything needs to be beefed up and how to adjust the pants correctly and all that. I walk into Streichers or another place and say "I want ____ altered" and I can speak the lingo to them and get the info out in about 15 seconds and get back what I asked for.
Most LE won't go to a non-LE place unless they have experience, because we want to deal with people who actually understand what we're talking about.

But more to the point, I bought the pants there and they did the hems in the first place, so I had them correct it. It took 2 minutes and it was free. Plus, it's 5 minutes from my house.

I figured as much....I just found the line funny, as most non-LE wouldn't normally associate the two services. I just got some clothes altered last week, and the Gun shop was the last place I'd think to go.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
It took 2 minutes and it was free. Plus, it's 5 minutes from my house.
If you live 5 minutes from there, you probably like 5 minutes from my house.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Reese91

My Ride: 2003 330I
almost makes me feel bad for having 12 South African battlepacks of 5.56....Almost.
Reese91 is offline   Reply With Quote