E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat - Wow!!

8/8/13 Update

Update. My overall impression now over time: Unimpressed

It did look really great for about a month, but road grime and brake dust attracted to it, and really dulled it down. It looks a lot more matte, but not in a good way. It isn't green as some people have been saying on other review sites, but it just totally blended in with the tire and now looks just dirty and grainy up close. Basically, the tire has lost "resolution" - in other words, the logos are harder to see.

At this point it can be easily scraped off with a wire brush, but I've been too lazy to do it.

Another gripe is that if you get the stuff on your wheel, it will stay there until you scrub it off, and it will attract dust - which looks ugly if since you'll find small spots of brake dust accumulating. Unfortunately, even if you think you got any overspray off, you might not know until it dries since it's clear. And then it's there for quite some time.

I thought this acted like a clear-coat for your tires, but it ended up not holding up as long as advertised. I'm a bit disappointed. Now I just wanna scrub it off my tires so I can get my logos clearer

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _

Old review

If you like the wet tire look and hate having to reapply it every time you wash your car, then this is the product for you. The guy at Advance convinced me to buy it when I was going to purchase some new tire shine. It cost as much as tire shine + an applicator, so I figured why not?

What I've always hated about using tire shine:

- It's messy
- It attracts dust
- Every time I wash my car, I have to reapply it
- It always slings black gunk on my rear fender no matter how much I let it dry
- Every time it rains, it washes right off
- It tended to last about a week and a half before it degraded

This product solves every single one of these issues.

I applied it tonight after washing the car. I followed the directions on the bottle: clean the tire, spray on the tire shine, wipe off excess from rims, let it sit for an hour before driving.

It's been about an hour and I went out to take look. It looked still completely wet, so I touched it to see where it was in the drying process. It was completely dry I couldn't believe how well it worked, and I still had most of the can left!! Only time will tell on how long it'll hold up, but I'm totally sold on this product. It's literally just like a clear coat for your tire. Make sure you wipe off the excess as best you can from your rims, because it will stick to them; but it's harmless. It's clear, so you won't even see it on the rim even if it is on it. You can get it off the rim easily with a rough towel + Simpe Green.

TLDR: Pictures

Note: These tires are bone-dry to the touch!

I will update in a month or so to see how they're holding up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130408_016.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	499510   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130408_015.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	499511  

Last edited by Zell; 08-08-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1376010189
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Don't like all the gripes especially the splash back. I will keep using my dupont wheel cleaner.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Don't like all the gripes especially the splash back. I will keep using my dupont wheel cleaner.
No I mean that's what traditional tire cleaner does, this doesn't do any of that
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
okay gotcha.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
tiggaatl

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to tiggaatl Send a message via Yahoo to tiggaatl
After seeing this post I went out and got a can of this stuff. I gotta say it really works. The tires look wet but are dry as a bone. We'll see how it holds up to all this Elpaso dust.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Bimmer App

Last edited by tiggaatl; 04-12-2013 at 08:25 AM.
tiggaatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
all about that meguiars endurance shine
Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Laguna01///M3
OG PapaSmurf

My Ride: Grigio Medio E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
all about that meguiars endurance shine
Old 05-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
.BLinK.

My Ride: 2005 325i
Used some of this stuff today and I'm impressed. Never would have thought I would be saying this about a turtle wax product. I waited an hour just like the instructions suggested then did some spirited driving on a couple of back roads and when I returned back home the tires still had nice shine to it. They looked as if I never left lol. I heard they will make your tires turn brown after a while, though. We'll see..
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
So... How does it hold up over time?
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
turbotalon1g

My Ride: '02 330i
X2.
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Bmwdad

My Ride: 2003 M3

Love this stuff. I've had it on a couple weeks now and still looks good. I don't drive a lot of miles tho. Less than 100/ week. My wife hates it tho. She didnt wait the hour for it to dry and rocks and stuff will stick to it when it's tacky.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bmwdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
.BLinK.

My Ride: 2005 325i
It's been 3 days since I've last applied this stuff and its still holding up. I got caught in a downpour 3 times and my car is filthy, but the tires are still shining. All I have to do is wash my car now, which is a must since it looks like I got lazy and just slapped tire shine on a dirty car. I'll edit this post with pics later on. One thing I like is how the shine settled down a bit, and isn't as glossy when I first applied it, causing the tires to look a bit unnatural.

EDIT:

Last edited by .BLinK.; 05-25-2013 at 09:01 AM.
.BLinK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI

I applied this stuff a few weeks ago and it still looks great. The only thing to be careful with is the overspray getting on the car. I applied it in the garage but the door was open and it was a bit windy and it got all over the car. I couldn't wait until it wore off so I went ahead and stripped my wax and started the whole clay bar, polish, wax process all over after just doing it a couple weeks prior. I will use this product again however I will be covering the car while spraying. Best tire product I've ever used though, aside from the minor overspray issue.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Zell

Update. My overall impression now over time: Unimpressed

It did look great for about a month, but road grime and brake dust attracted to it, and really dulled it down. It looks a lot more matte, but not in a good way. It isn't green as some people have been saying on other review sites, but it just totally blended in with the tire and now looks just dirty and grainy up close. Basically, the tire has lost "resolution" - in other words, the logos are harder to see.

At this point it can be easily scraped off with a wire brush, but I've been too lazy to do it.

Another gripe is that if you get the stuff on your wheel, it will stay there until you scrub it off, and it will attract dust - which looks ugly if since you'll find small spots of brake dust accumulating.

I thought this acted like a clear-coat for your tires, but it ended up not holding up as long as advertised. I'm a bit disappointed. Now I just wanna scrub it off my tires so I can get my logos clearer