E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
330blast

My Ride: 2004 ZHP, 6-speed
Leather cleaner and conditioner

Hi there,

What do you consider the best leather cleaning and conditioning product?

thanks.
330blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Lexol
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
Swissvax, Auto Finesse and leatherique without a doubt are the best IMO. I would never touch lexol as its way too greasy

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use, you need to ascertain the grade of leather and the type of leather finish applied

If it's good enough for Rolls Royce and Ferrari's it must be good enough for vehicles upholstery too - nothing could be further from the truth.

Automobile model ranges use different materials for their vehicles interiors; leather upholstery like Aniline Immersion Dyed, Aniline Micro Pigmented, (Urethane) Finished, Artificial leather such as MB-Tex and unfinished materials like Synthetics and Alcantara, and sometimes combinations of products (Alcantara seat inserts on leather seating) as well as various grades of leather hide, full-grain, top-grain and split -grain (which is protected with urethane) all of which require different products and applications methods

Be cognizant that the leather and finishes used for automotive upholstery varies from leather industry standard descriptions and although the names are similar the type of leather, pigmentation and finish are often very different.

So it is very important to be able to recognise the various finishes and materials used by OEM's as they all require different methodologies and products for proper care and maintenance.

Automobile model ranges use different materials for their vehicles interiors; leather upholstery like Aniline Immersion Dyed, Aniline Micro Pigmented, (Urethane) Finished, Artificial leather such as MB-Tex and unfinished materials like Synthetics and Alcantara, and sometimes combinations of products (Alcantara seat inserts on leather seating) as well as various grades of leather hide, full-grain, top-grain and split -grain (which is protected with urethane) all of which require different products and applications methods

Once you've correctly identified the leather and / or the applied finish applicable to your vehicle's upholstery, it's easier to select suitable products / methods (one size fits all is just a vendor's marketing myth) Different types of leather require specific cleaning and care and therefore require a slightly different process. Check your 'leather type' before attempting to clean or apply any products to its surface.

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki - "Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...fication.html#

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki - "Leather Articles Hyperlinks" -http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

If you have any questions about automotive leather, its care or renovation techniques, please let me know

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished leather _section.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	508284  

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-01-2013 at 05:19 AM.
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Gliptone ~$20 for both the cleaner and conditioner.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I have read that Lexol is not formulated to work for the leather found in our BMWs. I used to use Meguiars and Leatherique before switching to LeatherMaster. Since finding Leather Master, I have no desire to try anything else.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-01-2013 at 05:20 AM.
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote