E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AR AL GA FL KY LA MS NC SC TN

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #61
jayinsaney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 118
My Ride: '02 325i topsaublu
Super speeding....not sure where to put this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
the super speed fee comes in the mail after you are charged.
I see.
I just spoke with an attorney. She said that my previous ticket wasn't on my record so I technically don't have any previous history. They will most likely be able to be able to get the speed reduced to 14 over the limit so that way ill just have to pay the fine, and possibly no super speeder. Sounds too good to be true?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
'02 325i, Auto, Topaz Blue, 144k.
jayinsaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #62
SK330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Everywhere USA
Posts: 445
My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinsaney View Post
I see.
I just spoke with an attorney. She said that my previous ticket wasn't on my record so I technically don't have any previous history. They will most likely be able to be able to get the speed reduced to 14 over the limit so that way ill just have to pay the fine, and possibly no super speeder. Sounds too good to be true?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
No, it's not to good to be true.

You really don't need an attorney for this, this is something you can do on your own. I've used lawyers for many things, but never for the simplicity of a speeding ticket.

I guess you'll learn one way or another.

BTW: When you spend $500 to $1500 for your attorney and you look back at that they did for you (or what they didn't), you'll really wonder where your money just went. Meaning you'll figure out it was something You Could Have Done.
__________________

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #63
seattle330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 180
My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinsaney View Post
Oh, wow. I really don't think they will reduce mine either. At this point I am just hoping I don't get charged with reckless driving, etc. I'll call some lawyers later today but any idea on what they typically charge?
They would have had to do that already when writing the ticket. Should they try to sneak it in, you can always argue that you were merely speeding using the following facts:
1. The car is designed for 150 and is safely driven at 100+ without incident
2. Traffic was light (how else could they get a good laser shot on you)
3. Road was dry and clear

I agree about the revenue generation point, if they think you'll put up a fight then they may likely offer you a deal to drop your fine so they can get some revenue and continue collecting fines from other users. Part of this is an exercise in opportunity cost, both for you and the court. The fact that you didn't say anything to the cop can play in your favor too, you may have been having a difficult day.
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #64
jayinsaney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 118
My Ride: '02 325i topsaublu
Super speeding....not sure where to put this.

Ah, I see. Well, according to two attorneys my previous ticket won't show up. And looks like I won't be charged with reckless or be looking at jail time. Both attorney offices I spoke to think they can get the charge reduced to 14 over the limit, though ill still be paying something like a $450 local ticket. I may not have to pay the state super speeder ticket.
Either ways, darn my stupidity.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
'02 325i, Auto, Topaz Blue, 144k.
jayinsaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #65
Curious330
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neverland
Posts: 31
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinsaney View Post
Ah, I see. Well, according to two attorneys my previous ticket won't show up. And looks like I won't be charged with reckless or be looking at jail time. Both attorney offices I spoke to think they can get the charge reduced to 14 over the limit, though ill still be paying something like a $450 local ticket. I may not have to pay the state super speeder ticket.
Either ways, darn my stupidity.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
$450 for a 14 over? Sounds insane; last one I paid did not exceed $250. The main fee you need to worry about is the lawyer. It is up to you to determine whether you feel one is needed or not. You could go in and plead your case by yourself, I have done this and had my speed lowered - as mentioned previously they only want your money and don't care whether points go on your license or not. On the same note I have never had a speeding ticket as high as yours. The choice in yours but don't let some lawyer rob you more than you would have paid for the ticket anyway, I believe some out there can be had for sub $500 but once again it is up to you to decide if you want to see if there are any loopholes you can plead (I.E. grade of hill, was the officer near a speed limit sign, was the officer visible for ~200 yards; there are many rules that officers need to adhere to when "speed trapping").

Anyways best of luck! And do note that it is not too likely a radar detector would have helped you as from what I remember laser will only set your detector off once he has it pointed at you; if you have some nice shiny bits on the front of your car he will get an instant reading - if not you may have a very minute of time to drop your speed, but at the rate you were going you'd still be looking at super speeder.

EDIT: Also if this was Fulton county (Atlanta) you will likely talk to a prosecutor on your arraignment date (where you would plead guilty or not guilty) and I can almost promise you that they will talk to you prior to you making this decision and come at you with a plea. This is where you can try and charm whomever it is and see if you can argue your speed down to 14 over. If you can well done, if not you can choose to lawyer up. I do think it should be noted that sometimes you will end up having a pricey ticket if you take the plea as they will feel they have done you favor saving you from super speeders and dropping the speed and will request the original amount that your speed would garnish. It's all about the money, especially in a place as busy as Fulton County.

Last edited by Curious330; 05-30-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Curious330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #66
jayinsaney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 118
My Ride: '02 325i topsaublu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious330 View Post
$450 for a 14 over? Sounds insane; last one I paid did not exceed $250. The main fee you need to worry about is the lawyer. It is up to you to determine whether you feel one is needed or not. You could go in and plead your case by yourself, I have done this and had my speed lowered - as mentioned previously they only want your money and don't care whether points go on your license or not. On the same note I have never had a speeding ticket as high as yours. The choice in yours but don't let some lawyer rob you more than you would have paid for the ticket anyway, I believe some out there can be had for sub $500 but once again it is up to you to decide if you want to see if there are any loopholes you can plead (I.E. grade of hill, was the officer near a speed limit sign, was the officer visible for ~200 yards; there are many rules that officers need to adhere to when "speed trapping").

Anyways best of luck! And do note that it is not too likely a radar detector would have helped you as from what I remember laser will only set your detector off once he has it pointed at you; if you have some nice shiny bits on the front of your car he will get an instant reading - if not you may have a very minute of time to drop your speed, but at the rate you were going you'd still be looking at super speeder.

EDIT: Also if this was Fulton county (Atlanta) you will likely talk to a prosecutor on your arraignment date (where you would plead guilty or not guilty) and I can almost promise you that they will talk to you prior to you making this decision and come at you with a plea. This is where you can try and charm whomever it is and see if you can argue your speed down to 14 over. If you can well done, if not you can choose to lawyer up. I do think it should be noted that sometimes you will end up having a pricey ticket if you take the plea as they will feel they have done you favor saving you from super speeders and dropping the speed and will request the original amount that your speed would garnish. It's all about the money, especially in a place as busy as Fulton County.
Yeah my brakes or reflexes arent the greatest so I'm not sure how helpful a detector would have been. I don't plan on doing something like this again so I hope I don't need one. $450 is what the attorney wants to take the case. According to her, the court probably will want to fine me for the amount that my original speed warrants. They want the revenue so they may charge me the fine for the original 38 over but not charge with super speeder or anything, if that makes sense. But yes, this was in Fulton County, though My court date is July 3 in the Sandy Springs Municipal Court, if that makes a difference? The only reason I want to take the "easy" way aka hiring a lawyer is because I do not have any legal experience and I'm not that great at arguing, etc.
__________________
'02 325i, Auto, Topaz Blue, 144k.

Last edited by jayinsaney; 05-30-2013 at 01:01 AM.
jayinsaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #67
Curious330
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neverland
Posts: 31
My Ride: 330i
You mean your arraignment is on July 3rd correct? You haven't plead guilty or not guilty at this point have you? If spending the $450 makes you feel secure there's nothing anyone can tell you that will change that. However you will run the risk of the lawyer doing something that could have been offered to you on the 3rd by a district attorney, meaning you wasted your $450. I can't say what's best in this situation as I have never had a 38 over ticket. I can tell you that if you wait to lawyer up, the 3rd is just when you will plead guilty or not guilty and it is also the day when the DA may come at you with a 14 over plea instead of wasting any more time. Also this could be likely because if you do plead not guilty it is likely the Sandy Springs court will have to transfer you to Fulton in order to process your case (this is what happened to a friend in the cty of Roswell).

Once again the choice is yours, if I were you I may wait on hiring a lawyer to see what happens on th 3rd. If you are worried about what to plead (guilty or not) you can always ask the judge for a continuance based on not having the ability to hire legal council at this point and you would like to consult a lawyer prior to making any plea.

Last edited by Curious330; 05-30-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Curious330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #68
jayinsaney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 118
My Ride: '02 325i topsaublu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious330 View Post
You mean your arraignment is on July 3rd correct? You haven't plead guilty or not guilty at this point have you? If spending the $450 makes you feel secure there's nothing anyone can tell you that will change that. However you will run the risk of the lawyer doing something that could have been offered to you on the 3rd by a district attorney, meaning you wasted your $450. I can't say what's best in this situation as I have never had a 38 over ticket. I can tell you that if you wait to lawyer up, the 3rd is just when you will plead guilty or not guilty and it is also the day when the DA may come at you with a 14 over plea instead of wasting any more time. Also this could be likely because if you do plead not guilty it is likely the Sandy Springs court will have to transfer you to Fulton in order to process your case (this is what happened to a friend in the cty of Roswell).

Once again the choice is yours, if I were you I may wait on hiring a lawyer to see what happens on th 3rd. If you are worried about what to plead (guilty or not) you can always ask the judge for a continuance based on not having the ability to hire legal council at this point and you would like to consult a lawyer prior to making any plea.
On my citation it says "You are hereby ordered to appear in Court to answer the charge on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10 AM in the Sandy Springs Municipal Court at 7840 Roswell Road, Sandy Springs, GA". So yes, I have not plead either guilty or not guilty yet. Just to see if I'm understanding you correctly-- on July 3, I won't be facing the judge, but I'll be facing the DA? In either case, what do I say- guilty/notguilty? Do I have to plead either ways before they possibly might come at me with a deal? I guess what I'm asking is that my fate on't be sealed on the July 3? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many redundant questions , but as you may imagine I'm just lost, for lack of a better term.
__________________
'02 325i, Auto, Topaz Blue, 144k.

Last edited by jayinsaney; 05-30-2013 at 02:15 AM.
jayinsaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #69
Curious330
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neverland
Posts: 31
My Ride: 330i
The only time you'd speak to a judge is to make your plea; if not guilty you will be sent on your way and notified of a later court date. They will also ask you if you want a bench trial (in front of a judge only) or jury (allowing peers to decide your guilt), never made it to trial on a speeding ticket but I believe jury is still a option. Before this even occurs there should be an opportunity to speak with a DA. If you do not hear what you want to or aren't able to speak with one at all, you can ask to have your arraignment continued (continuance) so that you can get advice from a lawyer. If they refuse this for some odd reason, just plead not guilty they may force you to do a bench trial as I don't believe they will waste time on a jury. In this time you can lawyer up and achieve the thing the lawyer is telling you, it will just be a little prolonged. Which would give you more time to save.

You can ask a lawyer what they think about this, but have them give you a damn good reason as to why they'd advise against it as they will also want the easy money.
Curious330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #70
jayinsaney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 118
My Ride: '02 325i topsaublu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious330 View Post
The only time you'd speak to a judge is to make your plea; if not guilty you will be sent on your way and notified of a later court date. They will also ask you if you want a bench trial (in front of a judge only) or jury (allowing peers to decide your guilt), never made it to trial on a speeding ticket but I believe jury is still a option. Before this even occurs there should be an opportunity to speak with a DA. If you do not hear what you want to or aren't able to speak with one at all, you can ask to have your arraignment continued (continuance) so that you can get advice from a lawyer. If they refuse this for some odd reason, just plead not guilty they may force you to do a bench trial as I don't believe they will waste time on a jury. In this time you can lawyer up and achieve the thing the lawyer is telling you, it will just be a little prolonged. Which would give you more time to save.

You can ask a lawyer what they think about this, but have them give you a damn good reason as to why they'd advise against it as they will also want the easy money.
Ohhhhhhh, I see. So when I go to Sandy Springs court, I'll be able to speak with the DA (probably) first, and see if he offers a deal. If I don't like what I hear, I can plead not guilty and/or ask for a continuance. I'm just worried I might say something wrong, but I sure as heck would like to save the $450 if I can. One has to assume that the DA will want to save the court's time and come at me with a plea initially?
__________________
'02 325i, Auto, Topaz Blue, 144k.

Last edited by jayinsaney; 05-30-2013 at 02:33 AM.
jayinsaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #71
Curious330
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neverland
Posts: 31
My Ride: 330i
Generally that is what happens. Not much to say wrong really, dress your best and remember if need be: "Your honor, I would like to ask for a continuance so that I may have additional time to seek legal council as this is a big decision."; "Not guilty, bench trial" (go grab a lawyer asap).

The DAs want money, and when it comes to traffic citations they want it over with quickly. After they make sure everyone is in attendance they will allow people to meet with the DAs and see what they can work out. Be polite, perhaps have an excuse for your speed when you speak to one and see what they will do for you.
Curious330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #72
Wibbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 59
My Ride: 01 325i
Your probably loose your license for 6 months depending on how many points you got on your license. And the fine is going to be around $450-$750+ after court fees and reinstating your license if you lose it One of my friends got one when they 1st put the law in on I-16 was doing 112 in a 75, t think he paid like 745 after all was said and done. Only way your getting out of it with your license is a lawyer, youre defiantly going to pay some fines. at Min the super speeder. Oh and if the judge really hates you he will probably make you go to a defensive driving course. Or you could go take one now so maybe you won't get as many points and won't lose your license but your going to be paying that ticket.

Shoot son 38MPH over the limit your lucky the cop didn't charge you with reckless driving also. The GA Super Speeder law is no ****ing joke dude, better get a nice suit for court. Your not getting out of the super speeder, even if the cop isn't there its a mandatory fine.

Also Traffic Court doesn't have DA's. Its generally just a judge. At least in Chatham County it is. No way a District Attorney is going to waste their time with a Traffic Violation unless its vehicular manslaughter... If you ask for a continuance then they are definably going to hit you with even more court fees if your guilty which in a speeding ticket unless your wife is having a freaking baby your ass is guilty as sin, and if you also ask for a continuance the cop will most likely be there.

Also if you honestly think they are going to lower a 38MPH over the limit to 14mph with out a decent lawyer so you don't get points on your license and a smaller fine you are smoking crack rock. Or god is on your side.

EDIT - One other thing was it Georgia State Patrol that pulled you over or a local cop? If it was GSP you're definitely screwed even if he doesn't show up.

Last edited by Wibbles; 06-03-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Wibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use