E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Anyone ever recover from back injuries?? Looking for tips and exercises

Hey fanatics,

Long story short back was bothering me for about 3-4 months on and off. Was an idiot and kept lifting. About 4 weeks ago I ended up good morning a squat and that was all she wrote. I was bed ridden for 3 days and could hardly walk/bend over. I saw a doctor and x rays show perfect spine/discs, doc says it was all muscular and to take it easy for a couple weeks.

4 weeks later id say im at about 80-90 percent. daily functions are not painful but i havent tried going back to the gym or do longer than a mile run. Im looking for a proper way to get back into training I never did stretches really at all before workouts either (changing that now). Im looking for simple routines I can do this summer to help strengthen my lower back muscles before getting into the old squat dl bench routine in the fall if I feel good enough.

My hamstrings are also real tight. I figure 3x a week I should thoroughly stretch my legs, abs, lower and upper back. How much time should be spent on stretching??? 5 min? 10,20??? What exercises should I do to strengthen my lower back and stabilizing muscles. (is having tight/weak hams also attributing to back pain?) Im basically looking for like a physical therapy type routine/light exercises to ease my way back into the gym that will stretch me out and strengthen lower and upper back/legs to get them ready to start squatting and dl again.

Anyone ever have to come back from throwing out there back before? Keep in mind im only 22 yold btw (not an old guy yet.....)

Thanks
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
I would start by seeing a doctor asap, but in the mean time taking an anti-inflammatory, stretching, and lots of walking. You will not get any better by sitting around, but do not lift until you are comfortable doing so.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
I would start by seeing a doctor asap, but in the mean time taking an anti-inflammatory, stretching, and lots of walking. You will not get any better by sitting around, but do not lift until you are comfortable doing so.
I already saw a general and spinal doctor 4 weeks ago, x rays done and everything. Conclusion was my discs and spine are perfect therefore my "discomfort" is muscular soreness and told to rest for 3 weeks. After 4 weeks of rest, ice/heat, I feel ready to start being physical again starting with light stretches and exercises. Hence my post what stretches and exercises should I do?
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

You answered your own question in terms of what most likely caused your back injury. 90% of all back injuries are from either tight hips, tight hamstrings or both... Mobility is key to staying healthy. So is flexibility.

Since your injury is muscular you're in the clear. No biggie. I wouldn't deadlift from the floor for a few months. I'd do rack pulls instead. As for legs, you can get great results without squatting. Bulgarian Split Squats are fantastic and much safer than Squats. I have people do those as their main lower body lift if they have back issues. Dumbbell lunges, reverse lunges, goblet squats, dumbbell Romanian deadlifts. The possibilities are endless really. Just take it slow and make sure you warmup GOOD before every workout. And no warming up isn't jogging for 5 min and doing are circles. It's mobility exercises, stretching, foam rolling, etc.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z

When you feel that you are ready to exercise your back, lay frontwards over one of those big bouncy balls, stretch your back and then do a reverse curl. Do sets three sets of 25 or 50 depending on how you feel.

After doing this for a while do the half dead lifts and half cleans. After a month or two of that, do full deads and cleans.

Then get back into squatting and just start out light, keeping strict form. If it is just muscular, take your time and build that weakness into a strong point. Don't ignore squats going forward because you pushed it too far and/or used **** form once (no offense).

Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
I'm so petrified of a back injury...
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I'm so petrified of a back injury...
They're no fun.... I slipped a disc squatting a few yrs ago. The pain was terrible, but only lasted a week or 2. But then, I re-injured it wrestling and it took an entire year before I didn't feel pain. Even now on some mornings I feel it.

Leezy321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Lucky you, mine has lasted 10 years and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
They're no fun.... I slipped a disc squatting a few yrs ago. The pain was terrible, but only lasted a week or 2. But then, I re-injured it wrestling and it took an entire year before I didn't feel pain. Even now on some mornings I feel it.