E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
jamesni

My Ride: 323i
New to the forum

Just bought my first 1999 e46 323se. Im having a few problems. The speedo doesn't work. I have a blown bulb warning light on. Front drivers side. But the lights all seem to be fine. Also handbrake needs adjusted .I noticed the passenger side handbrake cable is adjusted as far as it will go and still isnt engaging.
Thanks for looking all help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
jamesni is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Hektik

My Ride: BMW 318ci
Welcome Jim, post some pics and details on your new motor.

Sorry to hear of your problems, did you buy it with these or have they just popped up. Cant help on the speedo sorry but for the lights, it could still be a dodgy bulb / connection even thoguh the light is working or incompatible with the car. Ive heard alot of folk say they upgrade to rear LED lights and have the warning light but not headlight? So worth checking that mate.

Handbrake I'm not sure but it sounds like if the edjuster / spring is as far as it can go then its time for new adjusters I'm afraid.

Anyway welcome and good luck, I'm sure someone else here will put a much better response on your issues than I have.

Look forward to the pics and congrats on the new ride!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesni View Post
Just bought my first 1999 e46 323se. Im having a few problems. The speedo doesn't work.
Welcome James, check out this thread mate, could well be the answer to you Speedometer issues!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=816957&page=1

Quote:
Also handbrake needs adjusted .I noticed the passenger side handbrake cable is adjusted as far as it will go and still isnt engaging.
Thanks for looking all help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
I have found handbrake shoes kind of poor could possibly be what you may need to replace, mine has been adjusted a lot and still rolls like its off, so that's a task on my list! Could also be your issue.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
jamesni

Re: New to the forum

Thanks guys have to get new brake shoes tomorrow and springs. Oh and yes stupid me fell inlove with car and bought it with the speedo not working. I was to bizzy looking for warning lights and thought ok its only a bulb. I will have to buy a code scanner to see what the problem is with the speedo. Think it will be worth it in the long run. I will take a few pics of the car tomorrow.
Once again thanks guys

Jim

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Shaun1970

Quote:
I will have to buy a code scanner to see what the problem is with the speedo.

Once again thanks guys

Jim

Probably find its speed sensor mate as per thread posted above ^ Good luck
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
jamesni

Fixed the speedo problem it was a rear wheel sensors. Fixed the warning on front lights was a faulty sidelight. Just the hand brake to fix. Jacked the car up removed the wheel calibre. Disc/hub and couldn't believe my eyes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1369408066365.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	507308  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
jamesni

The handbrake meganisem is missing cable going nowhere.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Hektik

My Ride: BMW 318ci
what a nightmare it bad a part being buggered but missing all together!! bless ya mate hope it dont cost you too much to sort
Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Shaun1970

Cool

Quote:
Fixed the speedo problem it was a rear wheel sensors. Fixed the warning on front lights was a faulty sidelight. Just the hand brake to fix. Jacked the car up removed the wheel calibre. Disc/hub and couldn't believe my eyes.

for the sensors mate thought it would be them!

As for handbrake geeez that was poor quality repair by prev owner! So by looking at that you had no handbrake shoe on that side? Or have you removed that? prior to picture!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Shaun1970

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektik View Post
what a nightmare it bad a part being buggered but missing all together!! bless ya mate hope it dont cost you too much to sort
They should be reasonable for him, shoes are 25 and the springs 6 so luckily cheap fix, just a nightmare to find!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
jamesni

I have new shoes and springs ready to go in. The problem is the bit the cable conects to is missing on one side. Don't even know what it is called. So it looks like a trip to a breakers yard. Yes I only had hand brake on one side thought the shoes were nackerd. Lol.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Shaun1970

Quote:
I have new shoes and springs ready to go in. The problem is the bit the cable conects to is missing on one side. Don't even know what it is called. So it looks like a trip to a breakers yard. Yes I only had hand brake on one side thought the shoes were nackerd. Lol.

Does it no go in the Shoe? See here its possibly number 4 Adjusting screw! if so umm may get it from a breaker as I see it don't come with the shoes.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...68&hg=34&fg=40

This maybe the part

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-HANDBR...item5d3f03904f
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
jamesni

Thanks people finely got all the handbrake parts and fitted the and now it's working ok. Got new brake shoes for ***163;20. Got a spring set of eBay for ***163;8.90 got 2 brand new expanding locks from bmw parts online . Co . Uk for ***163;11. Each. That was the part that was missing in the hub. Thank god it was a cheap fix. I couldn't handle having to take it to a bmw garage to have it fixed. Probably cost more than I paid for the car

Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Shaun1970

Quote:
Thanks people finely got all the handbrake parts and fitted the and now it's working ok. Got new brake shoes for 20. Got a spring set of eBay for 8.90 got 2 brand new expanding locks from bmw parts online . Co . Uk for 11. Each. That was the part that was missing in the hub. Thank god it was a cheap fix. I couldn't handle having to take it to a bmw garage to have it fixed. Probably cost more than I paid for the car

Glad your sorted Jim