E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Can AWD and M3 even be used together in the same sentence?

An AWD M3 defeats one of the main goals of an M3 in the first place... at least I think so.
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
is it even possible?

Real question is: why would you want an awd M3?

I could see maybe if you already have an M3, you're bored with it, have another car, and a ton of extra cash that you don't know how to invest so you wanna blow it on a project... But to talk about buying an M3 just to convert it to awd and add F/I bcuz you're getting spanked by Evos and STI's? I dunno man... Like I said, go buy a GT-R you'll be much happier!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Leezy321; 06-06-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Lunatic

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
GTI was a Mk. VI. Mods included downpipes, intake, diverter valve and APR Stage 2 tune. Quick car but I walked it.

A couple of my friends have Evo VIII's with the usual intake, exhaust, tune, injectors, A/C delete. The STi seemed stock but I didn't know the kid.
Ran with a 12.3 second Evo X the other day too. He was quicker, but not by much surprisingly!

The trouble with turbocharged cars is that they've gotta wait to spool. It's nice having the power there all the time.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Those AWD boost buggies are fun and all. But it's a completely different type of driving experience. With turbo cars, you have no throttle response. When you want power, you have to dip into the boost and wait for it. A well tuned FI motor will minimize this, but it's always present to some degree.

As far as AWD goes, it's a matter of personal preference. Yeah, they're quicker off the line for a handful of clutch drops until you shred 1st gear or need a new clutch. But they don't handle better or corner harder as a hard and fast rule. I refuse to do clutch drops in my WRX, so it's a lot slower off the line than my BMW's. I have to bog the WRX down a bit and wait for the boost. Then it takes off like a rocket, but by that time, i'd already be looking at my M3's tail lights.

It's all personal preference. People that think AWD handles better don't know how to take advantage of RWD. And if you want an AWD M3, as EmDeeAr said above, you're probably missing the point of the M3. They each have their place. WRX's and EVO's are great performance machines and are loads of fun. But they're economy cars with some cool performance stuff thrown in. I'll take the refinement and design of a BMW if I have to choose between the 2.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by customisbetter View Post
^If you have to ask, you don't have the knowledge or funds to do it.
This.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
Lunatic

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Those AWD boost buggies are fun and all. But it's a completely different type of driving experience. With turbo cars, you have no throttle response. When you want power, you have to dip into the boost and wait for it. A well tuned FI motor will minimize this, but it's always present to some degree.

As far as AWD goes, it's a matter of personal preference. Yeah, they're quicker off the line for a handful of clutch drops until you shred 1st gear or need a new clutch. But they don't handle better or corner harder as a hard and fast rule. I refuse to do clutch drops in my WRX, so it's a lot slower off the line than my BMW's. I have to bog the WRX down a bit and wait for the boost. Then it takes off like a rocket, but by that time, i'd already be looking at my M3's tail lights.

It's all personal preference. People that think AWD handles better don't know how to take advantage of RWD. And if you want an AWD M3, as EmDeeAr said above, you're probably missing the point of the M3. They each have their place. WRX's and EVO's are great performance machines and are loads of fun. But they're economy cars with some cool performance stuff thrown in. I'll take the refinement and design of a BMW if I have to choose between the 2.
Cool
And I never said I was gana do it I just asked if it was even possible....as the title so clearly says
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote