E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
tech13579

My Ride: E46 M3
yet another double din post

I have just purchased an E46 M3 with the stock navi and KH upgraded sound system...I love the car but simply hate the navi and overall interface, not to mention lack of bluetooth and other features. Before selling my previous car I removed the Pioneer Avic 120bt which i was very fond of (including all the accessories). I did the install for that one, but there were no problems in terms of space.

I have spent the last 3 days reading hundreds of posts about installing a double din unit in an E46. I would hate to spend the money on a dynavin given the fact that i already have the head unit, xm module etc. I do not mind the work and I am patient, so that is not a problem either.

What scares me is figuring out exactly what i need to buy in terms of parts, where to get them from and finding a good DIY. I found a couple but significant information is missing. Can you please help me with a list of necessary parts best place to get them and a link to the best DIY guide available, I am just so confused by everything I have seen.

Also, I assume that given the fact that I already have the navi, i do not need to relocate the hvac panel, right?

I know that there are many topics, most of them date from years ago and I am just lost. Thank you so much in advance!
tech13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
Follow my thread man. This may be a better option for you since its designed specifically for the E46 and ive heard that standard double dins require you to cut some the the vent tubing to make it fit. It may be worth it for you to sell your double din and get one of these. I will be installing it soon and doing a video review.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=990340
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
tech13579

I will keep an watch for the video review but I really want to install the Pioneer that I have and maybe later down the line a kenwood. Again, not afraid of doing the work. I have plenty of tools and patience. I just want decent navigation, I need XM radio, I need decent sound output and I don't want to spend money on something I already have and like.

All I need is a clear list of parts and a good DIY. Can someone help me out in this respect?

The best DIY I have found is but it's from 2009 and some links dont work anymore

Also, in terms of parts, based on that topic, this is what i found that i need:
1. Headunit - have it - pioneer avic 120bt
2. XM module - have it
3. Antenna Adaptor - which one? (i have one for a VW GTI but doubt will work)
4. R17 Wiring Harness - cant find it
5. HVAC relocation - do I need it (have the stock navi)?
6. PAC SWI-PS - is this the one?
7. Janus Kit w/ Bezel - assuming i get it from www.janus-design.net/ and hope it works around my avic 120bt..is this the one?

Anything else? Also, does it make a difference in terms of wiring and speakers that I already have the stock navigation?

I would really appreciate some help as I would hate to have everything opened up and realize that I bought the wrong parts. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
folgrz
stop looking at me swan

My Ride: 06 AW ZCP
You don't need the HVAC relocation.

I would get this double din kit

As far as wiring harness, seek out a member that goes by the name on Technic. He should be able to help you out.

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG_M3
folgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Sell your current unit and do the dynavin. Save yourself the headaches.

*Coming from a guy who has gone down both roads.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 06-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
tech13579

Yes, based on what I have read, the Dynavin would solve all my problems except for one - XM Radio, some people may find it a waste of money but I've had XM radio for a long time and just like to listen to certain stations. I know you need to install a separate XM radio unit - would that not defy the whole purpose of the OEM look that the Dynavin brings to the table? I just like everything to be in one place, fully integrated. To me, most likely, this is the deal breaker. If they had the interface ready to accept an XM module in the trunk, I would have never started this thread.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359575

here ya go, this is the DIY I'm going to follow when I sell my stuff and pickup a double din unit.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
tech13579

Ok, so I bit the bullet, sold my pioneer for a pretty decent price and I guess now I am at the point where I need to decide between the Dynavin and the Eonon D5150. I am not really concerned with the difference in price (don't get me wrong, money does not grow on trees but I would rather pay a bit more and not get angry each time I use it).

I want to be able to:
1. have decent navigation - depend to much on it and dont feel like messing with my phone all the time
2. Good sound quality - going into the the HK sound system
3. Be able to play pandora/spotify on my phone ( currently galaxy S4) and stream through bluetooth AND be able to at least control Play/FW/RW/Pause from the unit
4. Use the unit for phone management / making and receiving calls
5. Play videos from and ipod if need be

Does either unit perform these task well, what would you recommend? Is there any hope to be able to do something with XM radio on either of them?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
toy4to

My Ride: 2004 M3 AA Gen6 1.5
Installing a double-din into the m3 isn't as difficult as many folks make it out to be. If you have bought all the right parts, it'll be easy. The main thing you need is the Janus Designs double-din installation kit. It comes with the metal cage, and vent adapter. It's quite handy and will save you time. You will also need to purchase the corresponding hvac/ac relocation kit.

I was a complete newbie and installed my double-din in about two hours. A dremel will help cut the plastic trim quite easily. Once you cut the opening you then put in the metal box/cage provided with the Janus kit, and then make minor trimming/adjustments for your double-din unit to it.

As for the bmw wiring harness and antenna adapter, those things are quite common and easily found for under $5-10 each.

btw, there's someone selling various parts you may need:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=991928

Last edited by toy4to; 06-13-2013 at 11:08 AM.
toy4to is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech13579 View Post
Ok, so I bit the bullet, sold my pioneer for a pretty decent price and I guess now I am at the point where I need to decide between the Dynavin and the Eonon D5150. I am not really concerned with the difference in price (don't get me wrong, money does not grow on trees but I would rather pay a bit more and not get angry each time I use it).

I want to be able to:
1. have decent navigation - depend to much on it and dont feel like messing with my phone all the time
2. Good sound quality - going into the the HK sound system
3. Be able to play pandora/spotify on my phone ( currently galaxy S4) and stream through bluetooth AND be able to at least control Play/FW/RW/Pause from the unit
4. Use the unit for phone management / making and receiving calls
5. Play videos from and ipod if need be

Does either unit perform these task well, what would you recommend? Is there any hope to be able to do something with XM radio on either of them?
The Dynavin will do all of those things fine. Apple killed the bluetooth streaming track buttons with iOS 6 but they still work fine with android as far as I know. I would not expect XM radio any time soon.....but you can use the SiriusXM app and stream that via bluetooth (or aux in), same as you would Pandora, Spotify, etc...

We sell our units with LICENSED iGo Primo software so you can get proper map updates etc..., not pirated like all the knock off units (thats a big chunk of the price difference by the way....).

You know where to look to see how things are going with "the other guys".....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 06-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote