E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
theta

My Ride: '03 325i
Failed emissions - P0171 & P0174

I have a 2003 325i and my emissions failed yesterday with codes P0171 & p0174. I'm trying to figure out why and have a couple of questions.

I know there's some issues with the electrical system as I have warning lights on my dash (rear taillight, airbag, water, Service Engine Soon). I know about the tail light recall and have had the dealership fix the wiring, warning lights all went away, but then came back soon after. I haven't been back again, so there's still something going on there.

If the Service Engine Soon light is on, is that enough to trigger the P0171 & p0174 codes? Or does it have to be something mechanical to trigger that?

What are all the possibilities that could cause those codes? I've been reading about replacing the fuel pump, but not sure what I should diagnose or start with first.
theta is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
ask your daddy who bought you the car.

j/k yes the SES light indicates a problem, take it to a trusted mechanic as you don't seem to have the expertise needed to repair this yourself.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta View Post
I have a 2003 325i and my emissions failed yesterday with codes P0171 & p0174. I'm trying to figure out why and have a couple of questions.

I know there's some issues with the electrical system as I have warning lights on my dash (rear taillight, airbag, water, Service Engine Soon). I know about the tail light recall and have had the dealership fix the wiring, warning lights all went away, but then came back soon after. I haven't been back again, so there's still something going on there.

If the Service Engine Soon light is on, is that enough to trigger the P0171 & p0174 codes? Or does it have to be something mechanical to trigger that?

What are all the possibilities that could cause those codes? I've been reading about replacing the fuel pump, but not sure what I should diagnose or start with first.
SERVICE ENGINE SOON is not the reason the codes are up, it is on BECAUSE the codes are up. The codes triggered the light, not the other way around, which is the question you asked.

You should find out what the codes mean before you start buying stuff.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Quote:

A SES light doesn't always mean something mechanical is going wrong. P0171+P0174 are extremely common codes for e46 owners, usually the first place to start would be to check for any vacuum leaks. It could be a multitude of things or just one thing- intake hoses, DISA valve etc.

I believe there is a member who has a thread on it all, the link is in his signature... i believe its member jfoj
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
theta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
SERVICE ENGINE SOON is not the reason the codes are up, it is on BECAUSE the codes are up. The codes triggered the light, not the other way around, which is the question you asked.

You should find out what the codes mean before you start buying stuff.
OK, that's just what I was wondering. I wouldn't even have asked if it weren't for all the other warning lights/electrical problems I've had.

I know what the codes mean and have started to search around. Just wanted to get this one question out of the way.

And you're right - just because I'm not a mechanic means I'm a kid whose dad bought him a car. You're exactly right. I guess that means all these threads from people asking questions are all from overprivileged, ignorant kids.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
theta

thanks umpersav.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
My two cents for dealing with these codes is a smoke test. You'll find the leaks very easily and fix them.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
dmitrofed

My Ride: Red 2001 330xi
the most common problem for those two codes is definitely a vacuum leak. and typically that happens on the intake boots/hoses, they crack along the ribs in the tube and are hard to see unless you stretch the hoses a bit to see, I'd start there
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Quote:
OK, that's just what I was wondering. I wouldn't even have asked if it weren't for all the other warning lights/electrical problems I've had.

I know what the codes mean and have started to search around. Just wanted to get this one question out of the way.

And you're right - just because I'm not a mechanic means I'm a kid whose dad bought him a car. You're exactly right. I guess that means all these threads from people asking questions are all from overprivileged, ignorant kids.
Or people who think the "Search" button is too difficult to operate
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
First link below in my signature covers most everything you need to resolve the P0171/P0174 codes.

You will not be able to pass an Emission test with the CEL on.

You should also purchase a scan tool or software that can read and display real time data if you want to be able to resolve your own issues. You will save the cost of the scan tool or software the first time you use it.

Suggest you read this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
theta

Thanks for the info jfoj, I've had you're pages up for the last hour reading all through it. Lot of info to take in. It's kind of overwhelming and don't know where to start.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
DISA O-ring, lower intake boot and CCV lower oil return hose are the most common issue.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
My two cents for dealing with these codes is a smoke test. You'll find the leaks very easily and fix them.
Don't need to do a smoke test!

Just pull off your air filter and intake boots. Look for cracks in boots, and CVV hoses. The hose going from the CVV to the dipstick tube is usually cracked. Take a look.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I said nothing about overprivileged or ignorant kids. I only said that you should find out what the codes mean before you start buying parts -- you said you were gonna buy a fuel pump, or something.

P0171 and P0174 mean FUEL TRIM BANK1 & BANK2, respectively, are lean. Lean means there is too much air. Well, it could mean there is too little gas, but on your BMW, it normally means too much air. Air enters the engine by passing through the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. The MAF reports that there is X-amount of air (whatever the value of X is), and the computer runs through computations to figure out how much gas is needed for the amount of air to give an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1.

The O2 sensors analyze the exhaust and tell the computer that the fuel is correct, too much, or not enough. The computer trims the fuel delivery schedule as needed to make the amount of fuel in the exhaust to be the correct amount. You have codes that say, "we told you to add more gas but you cannot add enough."

The main reason to need more gas than the MAF says is needed is because there is a hole in the intake someplace after the MAF, but before the exhaust. The term used to describe this condition is, vacuum leak.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
t3kn0

My Ride: 03 325xi
had my cel on...p0171,p0174.....and p1083,p1085....took air intake apart...faulty DISA....plastic clip broke...got one from wrecking yard(400 at dealer...screw them)....fixed problem
t3kn0 is offline   Reply With Quote