E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
s2kjpark

My Ride: Imola E46 M3 6MT
Can this piece from the seat pry off?

i was adjusting my headrest today and accidentally pulled the whole thing off and my headrest monitor harness became disconnected... the harness felll in to the seat and i couldn't get it out

i was trying to figure a way out to get that harness, tried cloth hanger and everything but no luck. Even got a wooden chop stick and stuck it in the hole where the headrest fork goes in to grab that wire. but ended up dropping the chopstick in there too

than i saw the black rear seat pocket/plastic piece. decided maybe if that could come off? started from the bottom, gave it a little force. It came off a bit but it wasnt the most pleasant thing. After prying off a bit the chop stick i dropped fell out of no where so now i know for sure that if i get that off i can reach the headrest monitor wire easily

the question is, is this even an individual piece? can it come off? because the sound when i pried off a bit was really terrible. it sounded like leather ripping (although nothing was ripped). hard to describe it..

This is not my car, just a random pic off the net i decided to highlight

Last edited by s2kjpark; 06-07-2013 at 02:08 AM.
s2kjpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
It's not too hard to get the plastic seat back cover off. Key thing is that it slides up and out - don't go yanking it straight out or you'll break the tabs. There are a few small torx screws holding it on at the bottom. It's been a while since I had my seats out of the car and completely disassembled for a leather & rail swap, but I don't recall there being much else involved with the seat back itself.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
s2kjpark

My Ride: Imola E46 M3 6MT
So i should remove the bottom torx screws, and slide it off instead of try yanking it?
will i need to take the seat out to do this?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
I was in the ballpark - I went and looked at my seats to refresh my memory.

The torx screws are actually in the adjacent side trim pieces, so you may not need to remove those. The bottom of the back panel is held in with two plastic plugs - those ridged kind that you press in. You can feel the heads underneath the bottom of the panel. You'll likely mess them up getting them out (in TIS BMW just said to cut the heads off IIRC), but you can get replacements at any auto parts store.

Once the plugs are out, the panel should slide down and off, not up. That makes more sense since the bottom wraps around the bottom of the seat back.

I had the seats out of my car when I swapped covers, so I don't know whether you can do it with them installed. Unbolting them and just tipping them forward may help give more working room.